A few questions about ryan air flight.

Afternoon everyone.

Im having my first holiday abroad next month and ive a few questions that needs answering if you dont mind. We are flying ryan air and have paid for a hold bag and paid for our seats so we can sit together. I understand their luggage rules where i can take 2 items of hand luggage but the bigger 10kg case will be put in the hold for free.

1, i take medication and get it every tuesday in a dossette box. We fly on a wednesday and return the wednesday after around 11pm. Would the chemist be able to give me an extra 2 days medication or will i have to make an appointment to see my doctor?.

2, i buy cheap cigs here, would i be able to take a sleeve with me on holiday in my bag? Or will i have to buy them there?

3, we have paid for a hold bag, can i shove all my toiletries in there instead of re bottleing them into 100ml containers?.

4, im flying ryan air, what do i need to pack in my hand luggage apart from 100ml toiletries. Can electrical things go in my hand luggage, are they any rukes as what what to pack in either carry on or hold luggage?.

5, it says no flammable things can be packed, what about my cigarette lighter? Would i be better taking matches?.

6, im also terrified of flying do you have any tips?. As a first time flyer its quite over whelming all the rules etc.

Thank you

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    1. Ask your pharmacist.
    2. You probably can take them, but the chances are they will be cheaper there than here.
    3. Yes.
    4. Read the Ryanair FAQs, for example https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview#2-19
    5. Neither, what do you think the word 'flammable' means?
    6. Can't really answer as I've never been bothered by flying, but it's a common question so a search should give you some answers.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,277
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    Where are you going? You might well find cigarettes are far cheaper where you're going as most of the price is excise duty.

Baggage - yes you can put toiletries in checked baggage but watch out if you have aerosols etc ISTR they can't go in checked baggage. Ryanair baggage rules are here: https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Baggage & https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/terms-and-conditions/termsandconditionsar_696869348
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    5. Neither, what do you think the word 'flammable' means?
    I always carry a small disposable lighter in my hand luggage and never have it taken by security (except at Kathmandu and Kabul airports where they tend to make up their own rules). Last week at Singapore Changi during a secondary inspection the officer had my lighter in her hand without comment. I've often thrown a hotel matchbox in my bag, no complaints from airport security.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    eDicky wrote: »
    I always carry a small disposable lighter in my hand luggage and never have it taken by security (except at Kathmandu and Kabul airports where they tend to make up their own rules). Last week at Singapore Changi during a secondary inspection the officer had my lighter in her hand without comment. I've often thrown a hotel matchbox in my bag, no complaints from airport security.

Both are still flammable and therefore against the rules, even if the rules aren't correctly applied by security staff. I'm not sure why there's any need to take the risk for an item that'll cost pennies on arrival and can't be used while in the air anyway.
  • eDicky
    Forumite
    Both are still flammable and therefore against the rules, even if the rules aren't correctly applied by security staff. I'm not sure why there's any need to take the risk for an item that'll cost pennies on arrival and can't be used while in the air anyway.
    The only risk is that the lighter will be confiscated and cost pennies to replace.

I don't even smoke but a lighter can be useful, I always travel hand luggage only so all my usefull stuff is in there. I don't think there's any general restriction on lighters, smokers seem to be prepared for any airport smoking facility.
  • geminilady
    geminilady Posts: 1,920
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I usually put my lighter in the clear bag for liquids nobody has said anything.I flew for the first time in my 50's and asked the doctor for something and she gave me some sedatives for the flight.I did not really need them it was not half as scary as I imangined,you will be fine ,remember thousands of people fly every day
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    eDicky wrote: »
    The only risk is that the lighter will be confiscated and cost pennies to replace.

Not the only risk, there is also a risk that the flammable material will burst into flame while in the air causing the plane to catch fire and crash with hundreds of deaths - not a high risk I would imagine, but presumably the reason for the ban in the first place.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,700
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Security shouldn't take a lighter off you as they're not banned from aircraft. If you don't tell Ryanair it's in your pocket then they'll never know you broke their rule.
  • eDicky
    Forumite
    Not the only risk, there is also a risk that the flammable material will burst into flame while in the air causing the plane to catch fire and crash with hundreds of deaths - not a high risk I would imagine, but presumably the reason for the ban in the first place.
    This ban on lighters is also in your imagination. If Ryanair have such a ban then it is redundant, airlines take no part in airport security checks.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,351
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    fifeken wrote: »
    Security shouldn't take a lighter off you as they're not banned from aircraft. If you don't tell Ryanair it's in your pocket then they'll never know you broke their rule.

It shouldn’t be in your pocket when going through the metal detector.

I think it I should ok to take it on board anyway.

I also didn’t think aerosols were banned from checked bags
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport