Testing Trailer Electrics - Update

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If the car had the towbar fitted when you bought it, it isn't unreasonable to expect it to work properly. If it is a 13 pin socket, it would be a MoT fail.
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    If the car had the towbar fitted when you bought it, it isn't unreasonable to expect it to work properly. If it is a 13 pin socket, it would be a MoT fail.

Have to agree. They’ve sold it with the tow bar ... it’s surely not unreasonable to expect it to work? Was it advertised as having a tow bar?

Can’t imagine getting an auto electrician to look at it would cost much. Much of the cost of fitting it would have been the labour to get the tow bar on.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    I managed to work out that it's the towbar electrics that are at fault. Since I only bought the car 6 weeks ago I phoned the dealer because my car comes with a 2 year warranty. They've looked at it today and they know what the issue is but won't cover the cost under the warranty because the tow bar fitted isn't a Land Rover towbar but it is the towbar that was fitted to the car when they sold it to me.

I will need to check the details of the warranty because I'm pretty cheesed off about it failing so soon after buying it. I did use my credit card to put down the deposit so I'm wondering if I could get Visa on the case because it's not fit for purpose. What do you think? I'm waiting on the salesman calling me back.
    Make it clear that you're not claiming on the warranty, but on your statutory rights.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yes it was advertised as having a towbar. It was a feature I particularly wanted with the car which the salesman knew, and why I plumped for this particular vehicle over another. I know retrofitting a towbar is relatively straight forward but given a choice of two cars, same price, same spec but one comes with the towbar, that's the one I'm going to choose.

Good point about pursuing this under statutory rights rather than the warranty.
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    "Any component failure, damage or losses
    which occurred as a result of any accessory being fitted (unless the accessory is approved by the manufacturer for use on the vehicle and fitted according to instructions provided by the manufacturer of the accessory) "

I suspect though this applies to anything fitted post purchase, not already on the vehicle !
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Were the electrics working when you purchased it?
  • Pixie5740
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Were the electrics working when you purchased it?

Yes the electrics were working when I purchased the car. I've been using my Thule bike carrier regularly until Monday this week when I couldn't get the lights working.
  • Sorry to butt in but I can't find how to start a new thread. I must be stupid but would be grateful if anyone could tell me how. Thanks
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sorry to butt in but I can't find how to start a new thread. I must be stupid but would be grateful if anyone could tell me how. Thanks
    Go to the forum view itself - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70 - for motoring.
    Then click on the big red "New Thread" button.
  • Pixie5740
    The dealership has agreed to fix the electrics and won't charge me for it. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure