Opinions on this PV

Options
12 black Panels of 300w each 3.6kw

Solaredge (i have some shading)

iBoost

Total £7k fitted
3.78 kWp PV SolarEdge with iBoost South facing.
30° pitch roof 4% shading. Installed 6th June 18.
Gloucester

Comments

• Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 May 2018 at 9:16PM
    Options
    Too expensive!

I paid under 6K for 3.975 kWh Solar Edge System with Iboost May 2014

Did they give a breakdown of where the cost comes from?
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 May 2018 at 8:33AM
    Options
    12 black Panels of 300w each 3.6kw

Solaredge (i have some shading)

iBoost

Total £7k fitted

Hiya, are you space limited to 12 panels, can you squeeze any more on the roof, or another roof?

Also, might be worth asking for a quote with 280Wp to 290Wp panels as the 300Wp panels may be quite a bit more expensive. But saying that perhaps 300Wp are now the new 280Wp, but worth checking out.

Edit - Sorry, let me explain that better, if the 300Wp panels are approx 1.07x (300/280) more expensive than a 280Wp panel, then that's fine, but if there's a big price jump, say 1.3x more, then perhaps not worth the extra. M.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'll third it....TOO EXPENSIVE

Bit of advice

Get more quotes if you're serious, there's plenty on here willing to offer advice so once you have more quotes....stick them on here and they'll get picked over.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, there's no such thing as a daft question on here as we've ALL been there.
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • hawkwinddotcom
    hawkwinddotcom Posts: 517 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 May 2018 at 11:54AM
    Options
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SnMvNu7xwfI4OIa78aPONnQYKw6NML3w

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19LrqkjMIrqM9ADRGnugJigrivGZY5e66

Hopefully thats pix of my roof. Edit cant see the pix myself

I have had 2 other quotes and they are around the same price. Don't think there is anything special about my roof lol.
    Gloucester
  • Crowmann
    Crowmann Posts: 136 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2018 at 10:36AM
    Options
    OP - what roof covering have you?

Again the armchair estimators on here continue to think solar prices are falling and will keep on falling.

In truth the competition for business has shrunk dramatically and component costs have stagnated whilst all other costs have risen.

On a slate roof your quote looks OK as a starting point for some negotiation (slate roofs typically add £750 to the install costs), if interlocking concrete I would suggest a target price of £6000.

Below this I belive you will be employing the itinerant cowboy installers that plague this industry.
    16 265w panels South facing, 45 degrees, West Norfolk.
  • hawkwinddotcom
    Options
    Crowmann wrote: »
    OP - what roof covering have you?

Again the armchair estimators on here continue to think solar prices are falling and will keep on falling.

In truth the competition for business has shrunk dramatically and component costs have stagnated whilst all other costs have risen.

On a slate roof your quote looks OK as a starting point for some negotiation (slate roofs typically add £750 to the install costs), if interlocking concrete I would suggest a target price of £5500.

Below this I belive you will be employing the itinerant cowboy installers that plague this industry.
    Interlinking concrete
    Gloucester
  • Crowmann
    Crowmann Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Then £6250 would be a price that I would expect for the system. I am assuming it will need scaffold and not easy deck and that it will be carried out by competent persons - roofers that understand the MCS installation rules and qualified electricians.

Good luck - suggest you look up the MCS installation guidelines. Most post installation issues arise from chafing cables, poor connections and inadequate fixings. As you may have read warranties around install's are problematic and repair costs via third parties expensive.
    16 265w panels South facing, 45 degrees, West Norfolk.
  • hawkwinddotcom
    Options
    Then £6250 would be a price that I would expect for the system. I am assuming it will need scaffold and not easy deck and that it will be carried out by competent persons - roofers that understand the MCS installation rules and qualified electricians.

Good luck - suggest you look up the MCS installation guidelines. Most post installation issues arise from chafing cables, poor connections and inadequate fixings. As you may have read warranties around install's are problematic and repair costs via third parties expensive.

Scaffold and competent persons. They seem a good company and not cowboys, recommended to me. Just the price was a bit ouch
    Gloucester
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Er....no, i don't think prices continue to fall but i do keep my finger on the pulse when it comes to prices. For instance if you look at this
    Now that's for a 4.13Kw system fully fitted, then consider the OP stated that their system quote was for 12 x 300 panels....so less kit to buy and install.

Personally i'd be looking at between £4.5k and £5.5k for the system quoted for depending on which panels were offered(OP doesn't say)
    An iboost comes in around £200-250(retail) and as the sparky is already there i'd expect that to be included in the price.
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • hawkwinddotcom
    hawkwinddotcom Posts: 517 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I believe they are black perlight plus+ series 4th generation.
    Gloucester
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport