PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 September 2017 at 6:54PM
    oh heck VJ, so the nasty stuff has backed up into the house and up the soil vent pipe, thr purpose of which is to release sewer gas. Dh often said to me that this happens regularly, when people and I don`t mean you, could have been ages ago, put items like dental floss down, cotton buds and worst of all are wipes of any sort. You had an extension built, also builders are known to have poured nasties down drains, plaster and the like. Maybe blockage could be cleared from the other end so that liquids at least run through and then it would have to be pressure washed and then examined with a camera scope to see if there is some permanent obstruction. You will get it sorted, just horrible while it is happening.

I have been at it again, remembered about the five large good jigsaws that I had been collecting mostly from cs. I started one after dh died and it was so boring that I stopped. All offered to a dd for her mil, otherwise back to the cs they go and that has mostly cleared one small cupboard, so I have all these spaces appearing now, this morning I cleared mixed fibre from 4 boxes, none merino and not useful for felting, they are gone too. I don`t think of the past cost, maybe just a temporary twinge of guilt but hey ho
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    "Does this spark joy?"

This question is not simply or solely about the object, but asks"Who are you?" And that is a very deep question, with profound ramifications. How many of us really know who we truly are? Not the labels: the daughter, the wife, the organised-one, or the ditzy one.... Who - truly - am I?

Who am I?

How do I feel? About myself? Others? The world?

How do I feel about this object? Where do those feelings originate? Why does this object mean this? What does it signify?

Recognizing our true selves ( our joys, sorrows and fears ) is vital for our own emotional, mental and physical health. Choosing joy and letting go of fear ( and acknowledge those whys and wherefores) is incredibly powerful.

Me and my joy can tell Mr Sanctimonious to push off 😉
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Best wishes and hugs to Charley.

I'm annoyed at Becker now (having read the comments on here). The Decluttering Army should all be working together, to support and encourage, not to make people sad or question themselves (in a bad way). Pompous git of a bloke.... :mad::mad::mad:
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Yes, so just - yes!!

I have spent so much of my life trying to decide who I "am". And I have about four different personae and they all needed shopping for!!

Something as simple as deciding whether something sparks joy is really all about catching our real selves reacting
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • iamsalt
    iamsalt Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hugs Charly xx
    £400,000 starting Jan 2020 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £4000 so far £20 paid
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :( ((((charly27)))) I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad and sending you and your siblings all good wishes at this sad time.

I've been reading the becomingminimalist blog for some years but have become a tad disenchanted by it, for the same reason that I have drifted away from The Minimalists.

I do not have a fancy, celebrated or exciting life. I'm more than OK with that, I'm a homebody who's never happier than at home with a cuppa and a book, or pottering about on her allotment, or hanging out with pals in one of their homes.

I don't want to save the world (impossible aspiration anyway, and a hiding to nowhere in terms of personal happiness) and I don't want to be made, even by implication, to feel bad for not wanting to try.

Here's a linkie to a lovely article, found via the simplicityvoices consolidation site, which I find uplifting and which some of us may enjoy: https://tinybuddha.com/blog/stop-chasing-success-start-enjoying-life/

Today, I am spending a few hours with another pal, the one with the juntique shop, which has more than ample opportunities for kondo-ing and a superior quality of clutter; marble busts, brass shell cases, swords and bayonets, old crockery, crystals and horsebrasses and a whole category of Misc unlike any Misc most of us will have seen before. He recently told me he has an ultrasonic jewellery cleaner, which I have not seen in any of the rooms inc the cellar, so I thought I might try and find it as I've never had a go with one before and one ought to play with new toys when one gets a chance, hmmm?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Sj62 wrote: »
    Hi Wednesday. Have you tried cleaning the grout with this and an old toothbrush? And don't use a lot as it'll foam rather than scrub ...

Good luck!

That is a good idea. I can't remember what I did with it now, I know it's out of the house!:D
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Today I spent my birthday money in advance! I have bought a portable dvd with a remote control. The sole purpose is so I can do Tai Chi and follow my fitness dvds in the kitchen in the evenings while DH can be left in peace in the living room. Our house has only 2 rooms downstairs so it is a bit tricky to not get in each other's way! but I am slowly losing weight, being more active etc and now is the time to really ramp up the effort and I am realy excited by my purchase :j :rotfl: :j

Oh, I was thinking about trying Tai Chi! :)I was looking on YouTube but I was wondering if I should do a proper course first.

I know what you mean as my house only has two downstairs rooms too.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Wednesday, I went to a taster Tai Chi event that was held outdoors and was surprised to find that
    i) the hour went very quickly (I mean it was all so tranquil but when we stopped I assumed it was half-time but no, an hour had gone by!),
    ii) although it was not at all 'energetic' and the positions did not strain anything, I could feel that I had worked my muscles the next day, which was interesting in itself.
    iii) there is one movement that feels soooooo good to my back muscles, it is spot on.

I just bought 2 dvds that introduce the various stances (the 24 to start with, there are more, but I struggle to remember the 24 !). It is a really lovely form of exercise and watching the introduction was a real eye-opener. The starting stance is nothing like you expect, and is all about having a relaxed stance as opposed to 'standing up straight' as one might imagine.
    I think the principle is to keep moving and stretching because while you may concentrating on moving your arms from one stance to another you are also changing your balance and moving your feet. You don't stand still, but move from one shape to another throughout the session.
    It is quite fascinating. *
    * With profuse apologies to those who really know about Tai Chi. I have not studied it and am an absolute beginner, these are my gut reactions!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • MMF007 wrote: »
    Wednesday, I went to a taster Tai Chi event that was held outdoors and was surprised to find that
    i) the hour went very quickly (I mean it was all so tranquil but when we stopped I assumed it was half-time but no, an hour had gone by!),
    ii) although it was not at all 'energetic' and the positions did not strain anything, I could feel that I had worked my muscles the next day, which was interesting in itself.
    iii) there is one movement that feels soooooo good to my back muscles, it is spot on.

Thanks, that is interesting.:) It sounds perfect for me actually as I do need to get more flexible.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 September 2017 at 11:01AM
    I loved tai chi, last did a course over 15 years ago. Something I will be taking up again after moving, so good for body and mind

A quick removal of all bar one, gardening books and paleo books that I tried for a very short time. Into the cs bag with them and driving to dd to offload some things, soon. I lost another lb on the scales this morning, I don`t weigh myself often but a total of one stone now, very slowly, down to cycling, being busy and my food eg I ate the rest of my divine chocolate months ago and now only have one small bit of 85% chocolate, which zaps any choc craving. I used to order a box of 12 bars (cringe)

All this kondo has very much helped me mentally, to say goodbye to this house, I never thought that would happen but the whole process has been about letting go. I so want to find that new house, there is nothing coming on the market but like with MK, I will put myself in the hands of the karma flow, call it fate
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure