Losing driving license on medical grounds

Hi all,

I'm just after a bit of advice as I'm struggling to find out any information online.

Basically I've lost my license on medical grounds after blacking out, this is currently under investigation. I'm unsure where I stand with my employer, I'm an area manager and have worked for the company for nearly 3 years but really don't know where I stand with my job role, salary etc?

Any info you guys have would help before I go to HR.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Capability may kick in. Are you capable of doing your job without a driving licence?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Capability may kick in. Are you capable of doing your job without a driving licence?

Pretty much this.

You will be expected to do your job.

Can you get taxi's if needed? Hiow much driving for your job do you do? You are in the place to know how accomodating they are likely to be, but at the end of the day if you cant/wont(absort the cost of taxis) then they can get rid of you if they want.

How long is this likely may be a major factor.
  • Kellison
    Kellison Posts: 4 Newbie
    I do live quite remote so taxi's etc aren't really an option. This is where it could get interesting but I don't have a contract. I used to be a manager and was promoted to area manger but was never given a contract to sign after the job role change.
  • lincroft1710
    edited 8 May 2018 at 3:52PM
    If you work and your employer pays you, you have a contract, but in your case (and many others) it is not a written one. By continuing working and accepting payment you are deemed to have accepted any changes in your employment.

It is your responsibility to get yourself to work, so if you cannot attend work, your employer could dismiss you on the grounds of non attendance or unauthorised absence.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A member of my team was in a similar position a few years ago - we managed to put in place a combination of working from home and lifts from other staff (mainly me) to get him to/from work for a few months until he got the all clear to drive again.

You will need understanding HR people and colleagues who are prepared to accommodate you, otherwise it could be difficult.
  • Kellison
    Kellison Posts: 4 Newbie
    If you work and your employer pays you, you have a contract, but in your case (and many others) it is not a written one. By continuing working and accepting payment you are deemed to have accepted any changes in your employment.

It is your responsibility to get yourself to work, so if you cannot attend work, your employer could dismiss you on the grounds of non attendance or unauthorised absence.

The neurologist did ask me how long I'd worked for the company and mentioned that my salary would be protected?
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Have you non working partner, retired relative or friend who could act as a chauffeur when needed?
  • lincroft1710
    Kellison wrote: »
    The neurologist did ask me how long I'd worked for the company and mentioned that my salary would be protected?

If whatever has cause your blackouts is classed as a disability then your employer is duty bound to make changes to your work, workplace or work station to accommodate this where practicable.

However if the employer is unable to implement changes, for financial or business reasons, they cannot be forced to make changes. They certainly are not obliged to provide transport for you from your home to work.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I had a few seizures some years ago and was told by the neurologist that anyone who has anything like this is not allowed to drive for a year
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Obvious question you haven't answered, can your job be done from home? Not will they allow you, but it is even possible (some jobs can't).

If the answer is no, then there isn't much your company can do - maybe they'd pay for taxi if they are really accommodating or you add significant value, but otherwise it doesn't look good for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure