Halifax suspended account.

1235»

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The 8 week wait to escalate complaint to the FOS starts from your original complaint. Halifax losing the letter counts for nothing. Nationwide tried that with me and the FOS wouldn't let them use it as an excuse. Mind you, I had note of their complaint acknowledgement.
  • geoffibs
    geoffibs Posts: 21
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 19 April 2018 at 3:12PM
    Good news. We received a call from Halifax yesterday. They went through a few security questions with my Dad and they said he will receive a cheque in the post and the account is closed. They had no other information and didn't speak to me.

In the post this morning was a cheque for the full amount. No explanation or anything, just confirming it was in respect of monies requested from his account.

I'm not sure which bit prompted it - emails directly (thanks again PeacefulWaters), Twitter - I started posting every hour or so with a link to here saying "why are you doing this to my Dad", the media as I wrote to 2 newspapers - one said they were interested and trying to find out more or my final complaint saying if I didn't have some sort of response within 48 hours I'm going to the BBC and I've already been to the newspapers.

Either way, my Dad is really pleased. He has deteriorated but this has given him a little boost.

Thank your once again everyone for your help and it does show how we need to put things in place ahead of time if at all possible.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Really glad he's got some sort of acceptable result in reasonable time.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Emily_Joy wrote: »
    The lesson learnt if you are not sure you can pass the security check and you know you are not able to visit the branch in person don't even try and ask for a 3rd party access form instead.
    A lesson we should all learn from this thread is that we should ensure that all our banks and other financial institutions have our signatures on file so that they can accept written instructions when necessary.

In many cases we apply online, and if there's no cheque book the bank may not have a specimen signature.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,797
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 18 April 2018 at 10:06AM
    I've been following this thread with interest and I'm delighted that there has been some sort of resolution and some peace of mind for your Dad. I'm just sorry that he had to endure this un-wanted intrusion at this time - it really could have been handled better.

I've very recently lost one parent and the other is in good shape, but advancing in years, so we have set up an LPA whilst he was in the right place to do so. I would reiterate the encouragement to others to look into this, where you have elderly or poorly loved ones. It provides peace of mind for all parties and is worth getting over the squeamishness of raising the subject. As it happens, both my sister and I had been quietly dropping hints for some time and he finally suggested the time was right by himself. The time to do it is when they're actually well.

I send you my best wishes to face the difficult times ahead and hope it brings him some pleasure to undertake the tasks that were important to him - it's often these little gestures that matter so much.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ambassador
    geoffibs wrote: »
    Good news. We received a call from Halifax yesterday. They went through a few security questions with my Dad and they said he will receive a cheque in the post and the account is closed. No had no other information and didn't speak to me.

In the post this morning was a cheque for the full amount. No explanation or anything, just confirming it was in respect of monies requested from his account.

I'm not sure which bit prompted it - emails directly (thanks again PeacefulWaters), Twitter - I started posting every hour or so with a link to here saying "why are you doing this to my Dad", the media as I wrote to 2 newspapers - one said they were interested and trying to find out more or my final complaint saying if I didn't have some sort of response within 48 hours I'm going to the BBC and I've already been to the newspapers.

Either way, my Dad is really pleased. He has deteriorated but this has given him a little boost.

Thank your once again everyone for your help and it does show how we need to put things in place ahead of time if at all possible.

Glad to hear things have been sorted.

Best wishes to you and your family

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing