Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge 26th May 11 at 10:29 PM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2011 at 8:18 PM.
Page 22
    • Cleosmum
    • By Cleosmum 11th Jun 11, 10:07 PM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 9,288 Thanks
    Cleosmum
    Weekly shop came to a total of 51.68 over Mr S, Mr T and Mr Al Di. I used a 5 MOC in Mr T that they sent me as an incentive to go back, and Mr S I used my staff discount. I have 2 more 5 off MOC to use in June which will help! I only have to spend 20 so I get the bare min and only whats on offer in Mr T. I check mysupermarket and printed 2 lists.

I need to get washing up liquid tomorrow as I didnt realise we were on the last bottle!
    Jan 2016 Grocery Challenge: 184.58/400 (16/01)
    • 69chick
    • By 69chick 11th Jun 11, 10:28 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    69chick
    Been to Chessing world of adventures today with the family so a nsd as far as groceries are concerned, however as the kids were soo tired on the way home,I stopped off for a chippy tea costing me 6.60 so as I had intended cooking for them when we got in, I am going to add it to my grocery spends...still on target though I think...am amazed as although this is my first grocery challenge in about 2 years, I have been keeping a budget spreadsheet for a few months now and I know I have been spending way over where I am now which I am chuffed with

night all x
    Last edited by 69chick; 12-06-2011 at 1:20 PM.
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales 150.00
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 12th Jun 11, 6:33 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,664 Thanks
    sistercas
    [QUOTE=HalfaSixpence;44376992

Also, DH and I both eat a low-carb diet for health reasons; we are both borderline prediabetic/type 2 diabetic and the reason we've stayed borderline for 8 years with no meds is because we eat that way, so I'm not up for changing that. That means we can't eat bread, potatoes, pasta or rice except as a very occasional treat, which means some of the usual 'cheap meal' expertise goes out of the window!
    PS to the lady with gestational diabetes - there is another very helpful site at diabetes.co.uk with lots of forums etc.[/QUOTE]

I low carb for the same reason i actually eat less when i low carb properly because i dont have any cravings, when i eat carbs i end up going bonkers for more and more
    diabetes .co.uk is a good website for diabetics i do lurk on the low carb forum

was going to be a NSD yesterday , but DH bought beer for him and choc for the kids
    chicken and bacon pie for lunch today ( minus the pastry for me )
    hopefully will be a NSD today
    • looie
    • By looie 12th Jun 11, 6:50 AM
    • 700 Posts
    • 5,740 Thanks
    looie
    morning all, just totted up last week's spends and my total is now standing at 26.29. Really pleased with this

The only thing I need today is some milk but I am going to whip the coupon for a free cravendale from my mum's notw so won't cost me anything.
    • ragz
    • By ragz 12th Jun 11, 7:28 AM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    A Whopping 85 spent yesterday, split almost equally between Lidl and Morrisons. Why can't I step into Lidl without spending over 40 even if I only go in for a few things? I love Lidl but I really shouldn't go! Did get 40 tins of beans (10) and 32 pints of milk (8) though! So we should be set for those for a while. Morrisons I don't really know how I spent that much, but I checked receipt and it is right. Hmmm, really going to have to reign it in to meet target this month, must resist temptation to stock up cupboards as I am overspilling into several other rooms now and I don't even know WHAT I am stocking up for, not like we're going to get snowed in any time soon!
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • HalfaSixpence
    I low carb for the same reason i actually eat less when i low carb properly because i dont have any cravings, when i eat carbs i end up going bonkers for more and more
    diabetes .co.uk is a good website for diabetics i do lurk on the low carb forum
    Originally posted by sistercas
    Thanks it's really helpful to know that someone else is managing to combine that way of eating with saving money. I hadn't thought of the no cravings thing but of course that's true - no temptation to fill the basket with crisps or sweets (though if I shop when I'm hungry I find I come out with doughnuts or something for my son<lol>). So hopefully that will go some way to balancing out the lack of cheap mealtime fillers. Shame it doesn't seem to work so well on my husband; he is still a great snack fiend only of course ends up eating loads of nuts and pork scratchings and it is very hard to have a leftover if he is at the table - he's a big man but I think a lot of it is habit rather than hunger. also, I'm not sure how low carb he really manages to be on his travelling days!

I don't suppose you have a meal plan you can share do you?
    Last edited by HalfaSixpence; 12-06-2011 at 8:02 AM.
  • WelshWoofer
    Morning all!
    I did the weekly shop at Mr T's yesterday and managed to spend 49 - 4 over budget
    I thought we didn't need much either!
    Most of my trolley was fresh food (F&V, little bit of meat and fish for OH, dairy etc) - I buy very little processed food these days and my bill seems to creep up all of the time - just an example, a few weeks ago spring onions were 65p now they're 79p. Dog food individual tray was 29p now its 45p!

I'm going to have to review the fruit situation - I eat loads (on SW diet) and seem to spend about 15 a week on fruit alone, just for me!

Oh well, at least I won't get scurvy!
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 12th Jun 11, 8:15 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,664 Thanks
    sistercas
    Thanks it's really helpful to know that someone else is managing to combine that way of eating with saving money. I hadn't thought of the no cravings thing but of course that's true - no temptation to fill the basket with crisps or sweets (though if I shop when I'm hungry I find I come out with doughnuts or something for my son<lol>). So hopefully that will go some way to balancing out the lack of cheap mealtime fillers.

I don't suppose you have a meal plan you can share do you?
    Originally posted by HalfaSixpence
    i just tend to eat 3 meals a day and a small supper, i tend to have eggs for breakfast, ham/cheese salad for lunch and meat and veg for tea, i do eat hgher carb veg like sweetcorn and peas ( because i love them ) and make cauli mash instead of potato which love.
    there are some amazing foods on THIS site , its atkins induction ( and american) but there are some fantastic recipes on it ( i think this is the start of the 3rd thread , follow the link to the second thread , its big and will take some time but you might get some ideas )

i also tend to buy things like bacon, some meats and fish from c0stco as it works out cheaper to buy larger packs and split and freeze them , and i get whoopsies and offer meats from the supermarket and fill out with salad , veg mushrooms etc, t3sco do a lower carb coleslaw ( around 5.4 g per 100g ) its their creamy one so i use that
    hope this helps .
    the biggest problem i find is boredom , but the atkins thread has really helped as they have bread substitutes and puds
    • natlie
    • By natlie 12th Jun 11, 9:06 AM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 5,641 Thanks
    natlie
    12 T, 12 Farm Food, 13 Aldi and 38 in Mr S last week to add - think thats it so far
    Debt: 33,400 32,173 31,974
    • Trim my budget
    • By Trim my budget 12th Jun 11, 9:23 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    Trim my budget
    Can you put me down for 350.00 for June please. Think I have posted this request on May challenge instead! I have been writing everything down that I have spent and am paying only with cash, just drawing out a fixed amout at the start of the week. This seems to be helping me to control my spending! No nasty shocks to come on my bank statement when i have forgotten to write down a 'switch' transaction!
    Credit card debt 480- interest free until Aug 2014
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 12th Jun 11, 9:41 AM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 13,063 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Shame it doesn't seem to work so well on my husband....... is very hard to have a leftover if he is at the table
    Originally posted by HalfaSixpence
    I don't know what type of meals you eat but would it be possible for you to serve directly on to plates and hide any leftovers in the kitchen. When my mum serves a roast dinner she puts big bowls of veg on the table and brings in the plates with the meat already served on to them, generally she offers 2nds of meat but it does prevent people eating it just because it is there.
    • pepsi-kins
    • By pepsi-kins 12th Jun 11, 9:57 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    pepsi-kins
    Hi everyone,
    Gone over my budget again! even though I only bought what was needed for the menu plan, hopefully I won't need to buy anything other than a bit of milk and fruit until the end of the month, (in reality I know thats not going to happen. lol) Doing well on the NSD's though.

Have a good week everyone x
    2018 G/C 2951.61/2250
    Vouchers used 553.23
    Extra money 250
    2019 G/C 1784.18
    Vouchers: 143.90
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 12th Jun 11, 10:59 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    didn't manage a nsd yesterday because i went to te$co for the leggings and tops for 1 spent 27 altogether and i got 6 pairs of leggings 9 tops a cardigan and a pair of shoes so i'm very happy

GC wise i dodn't spend too much only 6.10 got some reduced stir fry which we'll have during the week and the kids some sweets off to mil for sunday dinner now so today really should be a NSD
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 12th Jun 11, 4:52 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    So pleased with today! My sms are never really generous with reducing, or I'm never there at the right time. Well, not so today!! I got 18.17 worth of stuff for the princely sum of 1.08!! That's about 8 meals for the 3 of us, a (nice) ready meal for me, sandwich fillings for 2 days, a couple of pork pies, and a few other bits to boot! I'm so happy, AND I also managed to fit it into my freezer, so extra cool! (Was worried for a while!)

Spends way over where they should be - need to tot up, but think have gone over already. Will update later.

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • toddles*
    • By toddles* 12th Jun 11, 5:27 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    toddles*
    been to A*di today for the first time in about 2 years. Only needed fresh stuff and bread milk etc so thought I would try there. I was pleasantly surprised. Spent 28 and got a trolley full. Lots of lovely veg all super cheap. Some was reduced so made a huge portion of roasted veg for tea and had it with a rather large fillet steak. nom nom. The steak was from my FILs farm, his own heard so completley free. Things taste so much better when they are free.

Im pretty much bang on for making my target this month. Really pleased. Does help though that my chest freezer is full.
    Happy days
  • Tracey.32
    Evening all!

Just popping in to update.

Spent another 27.20 in Mr M's on Thursday ... on nothing of note really. Got a couple of Robinson's squash @ 50p each, cereal 2 or 4.00 (omg cereal has gotten SO expensive!) and got large sliced sesame seed bloomer reduced to 25p, so that's now in 2 halves in the freezer. Got another reduced cooked chicken too, 1.50 this time, but was as dry as sticks. Oh well, you win some, you lose some, I guess! There was a lady in front of me at the till who had a trolley-full of reduced stuff, bread, rolls, meat, etc - I was DYING to ask if she was an OSer!

Also went out on Saturday. I have -land, Heron's and B&Ms on my local high street ... and I've never been in ANY of em (or at least, I might've been in Heron's about 5 years ago). Had a look in all but didn't buy much since I didn't need anything - oooh look at the new, improved me!! I did get a 4 pack of imperial leather soaps tho for a pound - the mild one which I really like but you can't get everywhere. And I will defo be visiting those shops again.

Got to go and mealplan for the week now ... hope you have all had a good weekend
    Grocery challenge: Jun134.15/120; Jul 60.90/120
  • TheBees
    Hi everyone - TheBees are not taking part this month, due mainly to me having my appendix out last week and spending several days in hospital... DH took charge of food and shopping while I've been recovering and he did really well making a menu plan and mostly sticking to his list! We're just going to lurk this month and start again in July.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off 9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target 500
    • 69chick
    • By 69chick 12th Jun 11, 6:24 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    69chick
    Hope you make a great recovery TheBees .its been a weird day today, dh got back from the Isle of Wight festival at just after 1 oclock, I was dying to get out after being with the kids all weekend and I could have easily popped into town, but I couldn't think of anything I needed and had budgeted for to justify it, so stayed in a cooked a lemon meringue pie that went down well after a lovely roast that dh and I cooked together...(he was all for taking the kids out the harvester but I stood my ground and was so glad I did )

Hope everyone has had a lovely frugal weekend..
    Last edited by 69chick; 12-06-2011 at 6:27 PM.
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales 150.00
  • katholicos
    Got loads of catching up to do and i will need to adjust my signature in a bit as well. So far in June i've sent on grocerys :38.15. Actually i think i may have spent more than that but i can;t find any more reciepts :-(

Actually i recall yesterday spending just under 4 in Aldi, so i will call it 42.00 so far for my GC spends!

Rightio, off to catch up with the thread and to see what i have missed generally on the OS board.
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • supersally01
    Evening all, been busy at work, but need to report some spends,
    5 in LIDL for beans,
    68 in Mr T's, mostly on BBQ stuff (OH is BBQ mad, two this weekend!!!!)
    20 in ALDI, for veg etc.
    NO room in my freezer, I am sure if I repeat it enough times, I wont bulk buy any more!!!!
    Gonna try to spend very little until the end of the month, just need to control OH. Good luck all!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,292Posts Today

7,180Users online

Martin's Twitter