Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2

Comments

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi fellow frugalers,

I'm still lurking, just not got much to pass on as it's all routine stuff. House renovations are proceeding slowly but surely, although finding frugal tradesmen isn't easy.

As a die-hard, my spending is still very curbed; I'm even comparing prices of wood treatment online and finding some brilliant bargains on eBay and eBid. It certainly pays to shop around. :)

Hope everyone is sticking to their guns on the frugal living. It's fun, I tell you, it really is! :rotfl:
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    redglass wrote: »

Santander :mad: Santander :mad:Santander :mad:Santander :mad:Santander :mad:Santander :mad:Santander :mad:Santander :mad:Santander :mad:Santander :mad:
    I've moved accounts twice in the last two years - to earn money! The first time I left Halifax and moved to Santander (£100 from them, plus £50 Quidco) and the second time I moved back to Halifax for £50 I think.

The actual process of swapping accounts wasn't too bad as each bank has a team that should do it all for you, you just have to keep an eye on the direct debits. The one that went missing each time was Virgin Media for me and all they did when I called them to explain what happened was add the missed payment on to the following month.

It's worth considering if their customer service is that awful.
  • tumptyteapot
    tumptyteapot Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've moved accounts twice in the last two years - to earn money! The first time I left Halifax and moved to Santander (£100 from them, plus £50 Quidco) and the second time I moved back to Halifax for £50 I think.

The actual process of swapping accounts wasn't too bad as each bank has a team that should do it all for you, you just have to keep an eye on the direct debits. The one that went missing each time was Virgin Media for me and all they did when I called them to explain what happened was add the missed payment on to the following month.

It's worth considering if their customer service is that awful.

do you not risk getting a bad credit rating if they miss payments?
    Tumptyteapot

• mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    do you not risk getting a bad credit rating if they miss payments?

That only applies to direct debits for financial stuff e.g. mortgage, loan, credit cards and the direct debit I missed was for my cable telly :o
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I've just (for the 1st time in my life) paid my home insurance in one go and not sure how to show this in the SoW (obviously affects 2011 & 2012).
    I like to show what I've actually spent and when, so I'd add the full amount for the new policy now.

This does mean the SOW will almost certainly show you over-budget for the year on that category (even after your saving for paying as a lump sum), but the options I'd personally consider are :-

1. Accept this 'over budget' figure as you have an acceptable and justifiable reason for it, and see if you can claw back the extra from underspends on other areas through the year without adjusting any budgets (just keep an eye on the bottom lines)

or

2. Adjust your annual budget to bring it in line with having paid for more than 12 months insurance this year. You can then decide whether to increase your total annual budget for everything (recommended only if your annual income is more than your current budget), or makes decreases on other areas to keep your total annual expenditure budget at the same level.

I (personally) increase my budget for the area in question and reduce budgets for other areas, so keep my 'bottom line' the same.

If you start putting money aside to pay a lump sum again next year, then it's only this year it's impact on the s/sheet anyway :)
    Cheryl
  • cw18 wrote: »
    I like to show what I've actually spent and when, so I'd add the full amount for the new policy now.

That's what I'd like to do (otherwise not a true reflection of what I have spent).

Think I'll leave the budget as it is and just take the hit on the overspend - as you say, hopefully it'll just be for this year!

Thanks
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Afternoon everyone :)

Just updated the books, so to speak (it's actually a spreadsheet) and our total for the year so far stands at £1002.41. So, we've just hit the £1k mark, but I don't think that we're doing that badly. I just have to be careful not to go mad with spending to make me feel better, as I know that it doesn't really work.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • redglass_2
    redglass_2 Posts: 771 Forumite
    ceridwen wrote: »
    I can sympathise re Santander...I had their predecessor bank (ie Abbey National) for a while.
    I have a theory that the level of service in Britain will only go up if:
    a. We are all prepared to vote with our feet re poor service
    b. Accept that we may have to pay a bit more to get some "old-fashioned service".

You're right. Only I never got the £100: I was with A&L and they worked fine until they got gobbled up by 'we are Santander'. Now I have to contend with two separate websites and although I live in the West Country my 'local branch' is apparently in London...

The actual process of swapping accounts wasn't too bad as each bank has a team that should do it all for you, you just have to keep an eye on the direct debits. The one that went missing each time was Virgin Media for me and all they did when I called them to explain what happened was add the missed payment on to the following month. It's worth considering if their customer service is that awful.

It's not that the staff are nasty, BTW. Everyone has been polite. It's just that you come away not having got what you needed, and tearing your hair with frustration. Though I do blame the woman (may terrible vengeances light upon her) who said she'd sort out the log-in problems, and then didn't. I have a feeling she just got rid of me.

Being excluded from the website means I've had to cancel an urgent appointment because I needed access to my account beforehand. Nearly cried today when I spoke to 3 more people and all they can do now is send out a new PIN which might take 10 days to arrive. My old PIN was working, but not the second, Santander PIN...oh, why am I burdening you with all this? Because I'm sitting here by myself staring at the screen, feeling very down and frustrated and as though nothing goes right. :( I usually cope with problems and go on, and I'm juggling quite a few at the moment, but this is the proverbial straw on the camel's back.:wall:
    'Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin now.' Goethe

• LolaLemon
    LolaLemon Posts: 958 Forumite
    Hugs to redglass. Your situation sounds soo frustrating!
    I don't use online banking at all, as much as it makes it easier to keep on top of my finances, I know how horrible it can be when it doesn't work, plus a few of my friends have had their accounts wiped out by hackers.

Apologies, I haven't caught up since page 13 I think, and I am now reduced to using my mobile for internet, as my pc is on its last legs, and the new one from uni hasn't arrived due to me using some of the money to pay nursery fees when the company that supply the products didn't get back to me, which is all ok, as I will Chase up in the holiday so I have for start of academic year :)

Hope everyone is well

Oh a wee update about Hannah, I went to yorkhill on Thursday to visit, and she is a lot better, but still very weak. Drs have said they have done all that they think they can for her, and now its just helping her to get stronger, she has been out to visit the ducks with her auntie, and they think she will be home in next few weeks. Will need lots of physio as well.
    Living Simply, not simply living.
    Cheap Christmas '15

Frugal Living for fifth year running. (2010-2015)
    Weight Loss - 5b/55lb
    Books Read 2015- 7/30
  • tumptyteapot
    tumptyteapot Posts: 671 Forumite
    That only applies to direct debits for financial stuff e.g. mortgage, loan, credit cards and the direct debit I missed was for my cable telly :o
    My dad got a bad credit rating from missing a payment to a water filter company!
    Tumptyteapot

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport