PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House prices rising by 15-25% in 6 months?! No way!!

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    And as [STRIKE]less[/STRIKE] fewer and [STRIKE]less[/STRIKE] fewer people have a desire to actually BUY their property they get further and further away from ever getting a buyer :(
    Fixed that for you.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Fixed that for you.

Thanks......
  • I don't know, I've had an eye on the Bristol market for about 18 months now and certainly at the lower end and in less desirable areas it seems to be slowing down a bit.

I'd agree that the larger houses in more desirable areas like Clifton and Redland are doing as well as ever though.
  • Elfinpie
    Elfinpie Posts: 60 Forumite
    I!!!8217;m in Southport and property prices here are ridiculous. For example, I!!!8217;m viewing a house later that has just gone on for £40,000 (yes 40) more than it!!!8217;s next door but one neighbour, who!!!8217;s just gone under offer. There is very little difference between the 2 houses. I really do not know where agents/vendors get their figures but it!!!8217;s incredibly frustrating!!
  • newbie1980
    newbie1980 Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Telford prices have this last two years gone up around 30% i would say

its absolutley riddiculous

and theres no mention in any media because its not london
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    I'd agree that the larger houses in more desirable areas like Clifton and Redland are doing as well as ever though.
    Prices are still going up quickly in East Bristol as well as the expensive parts - maybe not as quickly as they were at one time but it's still scary how much they're selling for.
  • caronoel
    caronoel Posts: 908 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    brit1234 wrote: »
    Birmingham and Manchester Market rissing due to big Help to Buy developments and people moving out of London to cheaper cities. Don't think it will last more than 6 months with London and South East propert prices fallingand spreading. However there are a lot of people moving futher north at moment.

You can safely ignore the wisdom of brit1234. He has been on this site for over 10 years now predicting gloom and doom.

Shame is that he missed his chance to buy in London in 2009, when he used to boast that he was sitting on a large deposit and living cheaply for next to nowt in rented police accommodation.

The day that brit1234 finally buys is the day that I sell all my (small) property portfolio.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Not sure aboout the headline, but in just the past 24 hours, I have spoken with three colleagues who have been selling their houses/flats.

Colleague 1 sold her flat in Edinburgh for 20% over what she paid 3 years ago. They had 8 offers within a week, of which 4 were cash buyers. They went to a closing date and sold within 2 weeks of first listing, with just two open house days.

Colleague 2 sold her 3 BR semi in the Newcastle area, with similar busy viewing period and a healthy profit.

Colleague 3 put her flat in Glasgow city centre on the market less than a week ago and has already had several viewings, one offer and 5 expressions of interest.

Obviously just anecdotal evidence, but interesting nevertheless.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Jaywood89
    Jaywood89 Posts: 161 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies guys.

It all makes for an interesting read.

What I’m perplexed about is that if house prices are rising st this rate (contrary to what the media is saying) then how can this possibly sustain?

I bet the question has been asked a million times I’m sure.

This can’t be a good thing? I’m sure sellers would disagree but in the long run surely everyone looses when the market reaches an unsustainable level?

Just a thought from a housing novice
  • nubbins
    nubbins Posts: 725 Forumite
    There will be a correction or downturn at some point in that particular area, then probably pick up again. London and South East are at that point and I expect that to ripple out to the rest of the country by which time London/South East will probably start picking up again. Who knows for sure but history seems to repeat itself

Graph-2-House-prices-in-the-past-50-years-of-Queens-Elizabeth-IIs-life.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport