State pension and esa

When someone reaches state pension age and their partner is receiving ESA plus other benefits.
How is it calculated as regards to any adjustment of ESA. I am asking for a friend who's husband is 65 in August, he seems to think that all his pension will be his and his partner will continue to get the same benefits as now. Any help please.

Comments

• Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    When someone reaches state pension age and their partner is receiving ESA plus other benefits.
    How is it calculated as regards to any adjustment of ESA. I am asking for a friend who's husband is 65 in August, he seems to think that all his pension will be his and his partner will continue to get the same benefits as now. Any help please.

If on IB ESA, I would think that the state pension would be treated as income for the joint ESA claim.
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite

If on IB ESA, I would think that the state pension would be treated as income for the joint ESA claim. This situation would have been resolved much easier had the government brought in the new Pension Credit rules.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Originally Posted by Ames viewpost.gif
    "I think newcomers to this forum need to bear in mind that this is a public site on which anyone can post. You can't assume information is trustworthy, indeed some posters are known to disrupt, post disinformation, and tell tall stories.

I would caution newcomers to be wary of any advice supplied that doesn't contain a link to an authoritative site. Such sites include adviceguide, entitled to, turn2us, revenuebenefits.
    Accredited benefit advice is available from local advice agencies such as Citizens Advice.

Please don't take horror stories about benefit assessments, appeals etc at face value. There are posters on here who whose aim seems to be to alarm, frighten, and generally dissuade OP's from pursuing sensible actions to claim / regain the right benefits.

Harmful and misleading posters are easily identified by the reaction to their posts."
  • I believe it's contribution based ESA, as she is disabled she gets other benefits and he gets carers allowance.
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    contributions based benefit has nothing to do with being it has to do with National Insurance contributions.

No one here can advise on the situation until it is clarified if the ESA is income related or contribution based/B]
  • I just said that it is CONTRIBUTION BASED!
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    [QUOTE=special-one;74159104]I just said that it is CONTRIBUTION BASED![/QUOTE]
    I believe it's contribution based ESA, as she is disabled she gets other benefits and he gets carers allowance.
    You said you believe it's Contribution based, that doesn't tell us for sure that's what your friend is claiming. You need to ask your friend exactly what they're claiming because otherwise people can't advise properly and you could get given the incorrect advice.

Either that or your friend can contact their local CAB for further advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure