PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House prices rising by 15-25% in 6 months?! No way!!

Comments

• dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    nubbins wrote: »
    There will be a correction or downturn at some point in that particular area, then probably pick up again. London and South East are at that point and I expect that to ripple out to the rest of the country by which time London/South East will probably start picking up again. Who knows for sure but history seems to repeat itself

Graph-2-House-prices-in-the-past-50-years-of-Queens-Elizabeth-IIs-life.jpg

I don't see the late 80s crash on that graph.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    dunroving wrote: »
    I don't see the late 80s crash on that graph.

That's because it's not inflation adjusted.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • caronoel
    caronoel Posts: 908 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    nubbins wrote: »
    There will be a correction or downturn at some point in that particular area, then probably pick up again. London and South East are at that point and I expect that to ripple out to the rest of the country by which time London/South East will probably start picking up again. Who knows for sure but history seems to repeat itself

Graph-2-House-prices-in-the-past-50-years-of-Queens-Elizabeth-IIs-life.jpg

Interesting to see the trajectory.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 April 2018 at 1:28PM
    Jaywood89 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys.

It all makes for an interesting read.

What I!!!8217;m perplexed about is that if house prices are rising st this rate (contrary to what the media is saying) then how can this possibly sustain?

I bet the question has been asked a million times I!!!8217;m sure.

This can!!!8217;t be a good thing? I!!!8217;m sure sellers would disagree but in the long run surely everyone looses when the market reaches an unsustainable level?

Just a thought from a housing novice

If sales volumes are falling as a smaller and smaller number of houses push up average prices, then no, it can`t sustain.

See the last paragraph for how a small number of transactions at higher values can hide general price falls.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-15/london-house-prices-decline-in-stark-division-with-rest-of-u-k
  • Akahotpot
    Akahotpot Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    In my next of the woods NW, property still has a rise at least 20% to get back to 2007 prices
  • dunroving
    Akahotpot wrote: »
    In my next of the woods NW, property still has a rise at least 20% to get back to 2007 prices

Exactly, discussions of national trends are meaningless, because the reality for most people is what is going o where they live, not London, or Manchester, or Upper Snodsbury.

I many areas of Scotland, house prices are just now returning to 2007 levels. I think the good news of that is they are less likely to drop, or drop substantially, if there is a house price wobble nationally.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    dunroving wrote: »
    Exactly, discussions of national trends are meaningless, because the reality for most people is what is going o where they live, not London, or Manchester, or Upper Snodsbury.

I many areas of Scotland, house prices are just now returning to 2007 levels. I think the good news of that is they are less likely to drop, or drop substantially, if there is a house price wobble nationally.

London skews the national stats though, when people see proper price drops they will be in no hurry to borrow over the odds for property, and lenders will tighten how much they will lend as well.
  • Gwendo40
    Gwendo40 Posts: 349 Forumite
    Akahotpot wrote: »

Do you mean the 2007 bubble prices that were only achieved due to huge levels of irresponsible and fraudulent lending and almost resulted in the crashing of the entire economy?
  • dunroving
    Gwendo40 wrote: »
    Do you mean the 2007 bubble prices that were only achieved due to huge levels of irresponsible and fraudulent [STRIKE]lending[/STRIKE] BORROWING and almost resulted in the crashing of the entire economy?

Fixed it for you.
    (Nearly) dunroving
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family