Employer agreed to extend my notice, now I need out!

Blackbird_101
Blackbird_101 Posts: 4 Newbie
I accepted a job offer with a new employer and subsequently handed in my notice with my current employer.
When the new job fell through, I asked to extend my notice, so could have more time to find a new role, and my employer accepted.
I wasn't asked to sign anything to agree to my new leave date but I have continued to work beyond the date that my original notice period ended.
Can I just leave my job and start and at my new employer? Or will that land me in some sort of trouble?

Help, PLEASE!

Comments

• I accepted a job offer with a new employer and subsequently handed in my notice with my current employer.
    When the new job fell through, I asked to extend my notice, so could have more time to find a new role, and my employer accepted. The handed me a letter stating my new end date and also advised that they won't be able to change my leave date again.
    Having now found a new job, I've been asked to start a month before my revised leave date.
    I wasn't asked to sign the letter to agree to my new leave date but I have continued to work beyond the date that my original notice period ended.
    Can I just leave my job and start and at my new employer? Or will that land me in some sort of trouble?

Help, PLEASE!
    What is your notice period in the contract?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Hi Takeaway_Addict. Thanks for replying.
    My notice period was 4 weeks, it expired around 20th March. While I was still serving the 4 weeks notice, my employer agreed to extend my notice period until mid-May.
    (I've been working there for just over 2 years).
  • Have some respect for the people who agreed to help you out by agreeing to what you asked for and tell the new company that you are not available until mid-May. Why on earth didn't you tell them this in the first place?
  • Blackbird_101
    Blackbird_101 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 11 April 2018 at 6:53PM
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    1) I have informed the new employer of the full details of my situation.
    2) Respect is earnt, not assumed (it worked in my employer's interest to retain me while they found a replacement).
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    2) Respect is earnt, not assumed (it worked in my employer's interest to retain me while they found a replacement).
    3) You are not aware of the reasons for my resignation/acceptance of a new job.
    4) Think before you speak when replying to someone speaking advice.

He's right.

You need to work until your agreed leaving date. Its only about 5 weeks anyway. Your new employer should not have a problem with that if they were fully informed of it.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    3) You are not aware of the reasons for my resignation/acceptance of a new job.

I did think. I've thought again. I stand by what I said.

You asked for a deal, they offered you one, you agreed to it. Now you want to get out of it as soon as it suits you. Mainly by saying that you only agreed verbally, not in writing. Is your word valueless?

Why is your new company asking you to start before your notice has expired if they know the circumstances? What did they say when you told them this was not possible?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker

Hope you're not expecting any more help - not that anyone is likely to suggest anything different to what's already been posted.
  • I didn't agree to it, verbally or in writing. I was simply presented with a letter which states "it has been explained" and "you have agreed to" - nothing had been explained, and my agreement can only be inferred by my continuing to work beyond my initial 4 week notice.

I am seeking advice, not criticism based on assumptions.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I didn't agree to it, verbally or in writing. I was simply presented with a letter which states "it has been explained" and "you have agreed to" - nothing had been explained, and my agreement can only be inferred by my continuing to work beyond my initial 4 week notice.

I am seeking advice, not criticism based on assumptions.

Exactly - you did agree to it by not challenging it and continuing to work

And you don't get to pick and choose which responses you receive, only those that you choose to take notice of
  • NelliePie
    NelliePie Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have to agree with the other posters. You asked for something and you got it - probably at expense to your current employer (extra wages, admin and paperwork etc).

Surely if you told the new employer you're not available until mid-May that is what they should honor? 5 weeks isn't long in the grand scheme of things, my current notice is 3 months.

Do you have any annual leave saved up that you could take at the end of your notice period, effectively shortening it?
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills