Where to save for children’s uni fees

Comments

• Wobblydeb
    Wobblydeb Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    atush wrote: »
    I saved into investment trust savings plans to send my 3 to university.

I used both Witan and F&C. You can isa or Jisa them, or leave them unwrapped.
    Hi atush - did you keep it in your name, or put it into the childs?
    I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,043 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    jenni_fer wrote: »
    Only difference being that ours are toddlers still and we are saving £200 a month per child.
    My biggest concern is the £100 of interest per parent limit as all the cash is from us.
    Don't really want a JISA as we want to be able to a) spend it earlier if we feel it's appropriate and b) only spend it how we wish not how they see fit at 18.
    This applies to the OP also...

Jenn_ifer, you do realise that (based on what you have shared) the money you have accumulated appears to be in a bare trust for the child; the money belongs to the child; and is their responsibility at age 18 (in England).

I appreciate that this comes off as a little bit 'scaremongering' but if the child (18) chooses to blow the money on having a good time you have no control over that.

People really need to consider the potential implications of their actions. If you want a say/control over how the money is used you either need to go down the route of creating an appropriate trust (discretionary for example) or retain it under your own name; or some mixture.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,586 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jenni_fer wrote: »
    Following with interest as I have spent the evening trying to find the best solution for exactly this.
    Only difference being that ours are toddlers still and we are saving £200 a month per child.
    My biggest concern is the £100 of interest per parent limit as all the cash is from us.
    Don't really want a JISA as we want to be able to a) spend it earlier if we feel it's appropriate and b) only spend it how we wish not how they see fit at 18.

If you are planning for money you'll need in 10+ years then investments are really the way to go not cash savings. If you use a S&S ISA then you won't be subject to any income or capital limits other than the £20k per year investment limit.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Wobblydeb
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    This applies to the OP also...

Jenn_ifer, you do realise that (based on what you have shared) the money you have accumulated appears to be in a bare trust for the child; the money belongs to the child; and is their responsibility at age 18 (in England).

I appreciate that this comes off as a little bit 'scaremongering' but if the child (18) chooses to blow the money on having a good time you have no control over that.

People really need to consider the potential implications of their actions. If you want a say/control over how the money is used you either need to go down the route of creating an appropriate trust (discretionary for example) or retain it under your own name; or some mixture.
    I am a little confused with this, as I have control over my son's savings account and pay in / withdraw money as I wish. I have not set up a trust nor retained it in my name. How is that working?
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Wobblydeb wrote: »
    I am a little confused with this, as I have control over my son's savings account and pay in / withdraw money as I wish. I have not set up a trust nor retained it in my name.

It must be one or the other.

If the money is being taxed as if it was the son's, then it is in bare trust and he is absolutely entitled to the capital at 18. As the trustee you are free to withdraw the money but it must be invested in another bare trust account.

If it is just your money, and taxed as your money, but mentally earmarked for him, then of course you can do what you want with it.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,573 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    i would not put this in the child's name as A JISA as they have full control at 18. As you have 6 years my inclination would be to open a stocks and shares isa alongside some regular cash savers in your name. Depending on stock market performance when they start uni you could either cash some units from the isa or withdraw from regular savers for first year.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mogley
    Mogley Posts: 250 Forumite
    I started a 100% equity S&S ISA in my name when my eldest was 10 for the same reason as the OP. The way I saw it was, saving £100/month was better than saving nothing at all for their further education. Being in a S&S ISA meant that there was less chance of me accessing the funds (mind games). I am fully aware that I may not have as much money as I invested in 8 years time but something is more than £0. This was my personal attitude to the risks of S&Ss. I plan on continually investing in the S&S ISA throughout their time at Uni, removing lump sums from the ISA when they are required.

I must add that the OH and I also invest in S&S JISAs for them (originally CTFs) to do whatever they want when they turn 18.
    You should pay attention to the needs of the moment - otherwise there is no future. But to ignore the future is foolish - living solely for the moment leaves nothing for when the next moment arrives.
  • Wobblydeb
    Malthusian wrote: »
    It must be one or the other.

If the money is being taxed as if it was the son's, then it is in bare trust and he is absolutely entitled to the capital at 18. As the trustee you are free to withdraw the money but it must be invested in another bare trust account.

If it is just your money, and taxed as your money, but mentally earmarked for him, then of course you can do what you want with it.
    So what are Children's Bank Accounts?
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi atush - did you keep it in your name, or put it into the childs?

Designated- my name with the childs as a designation. Once for each.

I closed 2 and have kept one and removed designation. This one is for me lol.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,043 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 6 November 2017 at 5:34PM
    So what are Children's Bank Accounts?
    They are a type of financial bare trust account for a minor (under 18). Accounts like these may have a debit card for example as the child is older and more responsible in managing money/transactions.

I commented on another child/savings thread (I've added 'Bare Trust' for clarity):
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    This is a critical consideration and often overlooked.

My DD is older than yours but we have...
    1. Savings account in DD name (Bare Trust)
    2. Stocks and shares CTF (forerunner of JISA)
    3. Easy access account (for birthday/xmas gifts etc), in DD name (Bare Trust)
    4. Investment account in OH name, which we control, allocated for DD

Basically accounts 1, 2, and 3 belong to our DD, account 4, where the majority of money is, belongs to us and is allocated to be used for the benefit of our DD.

Unsure if a CTF/JISA comes under the bare trust banner or if it has its own legal status?
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family