Money Moral Dilemma: Is it OK to spend my baby's vouchers on myself?

Comments

• bods
    bods Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 November 2019 at 10:21AM
    Seriously, spend them on pyjamas now if you want. You'll end up spending a fortune on stuff for your child in the future anyway. Baby clothes often don't last long. If concerned, think about it as a short term loan. It's either that or you save the voucher for 6-9 months or whatever until you need them.

People understand that babies grow after all.
  • If there's nothing your baby needs, I would personally spend it on myself but put the equivalent money into the baby's bank account, that way they still get the money eventually.
  • Once the gift leaves the gift-giver's hands and is passed on, they have no say in how the gift is used!

If the giver had presented the mother with a bottle steriliser as a gift, and the mother already had one, the mother is entirely within her rights to return the item, give it to charity, sell it, or hide it in the back of the cupboard for the next 10 years.

Same with vouchers - the recipient can use them however they wish, and given that the recipient is a newborn and essentially helpless for the next couple of years, the mother/father will be responsible for using/spending them.

So many people have commented about all money being family money - I agree, whatever the vouchers are used on now frees up cash for use at a later date, presumably for the good of the baby and family.

If the giver had wanted something to be used specifically for the baby's benefit, they should have purchased something specifically for baby. Vouchers are rather impersonal and sometimes can convey a lack of thought on the part of the giver - unless they have been requested by the recipient
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Literally just joined the forum to says YES GIRL. You birthed that baby and are literally going to sacrifice the rest of your life and income for that kid...of course you should buy yourself some PJ’s...and a bottle of fizz and nice cake from the food hall while you’re at it! Also when I give my friends who have babies money/vouchers I usually assume they’ll just use it to help out the household. Don’t guilt trip yourself!
    :eek:.....
  • That's fine. you would've been spending your own money had you not got the vouchers in the first place.

better to get them spent now in case they go bump.

had to remind my sister last week if she had some mothercare vouchers. which she did. went straight out and spent them just before they went bump and became null and void..
  • Vouchers should be concerted to goods ASAP & if you feel you Ought to put a little something in the bank account, well, it’s be there as a self decided interest overdraft if you need it.
    The child has all needed including a loving mother & generous associates so mother should make those vouchers hustle however works best for the household. Pyjamas, an ISA, an intelligently stuffed store cupboard - whatever helps mum!
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Personally I wouldn't spend them on myself because the gift was for the baby.

With general retail uncertainty I wouldn't put the vouchers away, but use them to buy something in a bigger size that baby will grow into.
  • I think you should ask the baby.
  • It's just wrong unless you're swapping the vouchers for money that you're putting aside for your child

Its effectively stealing from your child.

Why not swap them for cash and put the cash aside in a child's ISA or savings account.
  • I don't see anything wrong with it at all. In order to care for someone else, you have to care for yourself too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure