HGV training, do you need to learn to drive a car first?

TyreLever
TyreLever Posts: 212 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
I imagine driving a lorry is drastically different from driving a car. I would like to do the training for HGVs but would I need to faff about with larning to drive a car first? I have no benefit to driving a car myself and this would be a huge waste of time and money. I do have full motorcycle entitlement.

Also if I did learn to drive a car, how would the points system work. Would I be allowed up to 12 on my motorcycle part and only 6 on the car part (for the 1st 2 years)?
Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Can't answer the first part but you only have one licence with the vehicle types that you can drive listed on it. Therefore all points, regardless of whether bike, car or other vehicle, go on a single licence. So in your example your total points would be 18.
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You need a full car licence to apply for a LGV provisional entitlement you also need to pass a medical test.

As above you only have one licence with all your entitlements on and to which any points are added.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 9 April 2018 at 7:40AM
    I have no benefit to driving a car myself and this would be a huge waste of time and money. I do have full motorcycle entitlement.
    If you are an experienced and competent motorcyclist passing a car driving test should be easy.

Five seconds with google gives the answer. https://www.gov.uk/become-lorry-bus-driver
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    I'm not sure I'd want an HGV driver on the road who couldn't drive a car tbh.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    OP - do you know what the costs are for HGV training ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If you are an experienced and competent motorcyclist passing a car driving test should be easy.https://www.gov.uk/become-lorry-bus-driver
    Not necessarily... You'd have to unlearn some bike-specific habits first - at least long enough to convince the examiner. My father fell foul of this - and as a passenger, it was quite frightening when he forgot he was now driving a van and went to filter...
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    TyreLever wrote: »
    I imagine driving a lorry is drastically different from driving a car. I would like to do the training for HGVs but would I need to faff about with larning to drive a car first? I have no benefit to driving a car myself and this would be a huge waste of time and money. I do have full motorcycle entitlement.

Also if I did learn to drive a car, how would the points system work. Would I be allowed up to 12 on my motorcycle part and only 6 on the car part (for the 1st 2 years)?

Isn’t the two year rule from the date of passing your first test?
  • TyreLever wrote: »

I'm not sure if I would want to share the roads with someone in charge of a 40 tonne vehicle if they have to come on an internet forum to ask those questions of random and anonymous people without doing their own research first!
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    esmerobbo wrote: »
    You need a full car licence to apply for a LGV provisional entitlement you also need to pass a medical test.

As above you only have one licence with all your entitlements on and to which any points are added.

A medical?
    I didn't take a medical when doing my c and c+e only last month
  • Cash-Strapped.T32
    Cash-Strapped.T32 Posts: 562 Forumite
    edited 9 April 2018 at 1:41PM
    TyreLever wrote: »

Having recently done this very thing myself...

For the purposes of the new driver act, you count as having passed your test when you first got your license.

As Unforseen above pointed out, there is only one license - you merely add different entitlements to it as & when you pass certain tests.
    Therefore, if you've held your bike entitlement for more than 2yrs, the New Driver act does not apply to you - be it in car or on a bike - as you have held your license for more than 2yrs.

*EDIT* However, don't for a second think that means you can add-up the number of points across cars & bikes, or any such silliness - one license means one set of points - and if you lose the license then you lose all your entitlements.

Remember - if you get too many points, you lose the LICENSE - you don't lose an entitlement.
    So any additional entitlements (car, van, hgv, etc...) that you have on your license are also lost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure