Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    So I've finally joined you lot as retired at 59 , my job was going which would have meant retraining and possibly being forced into a job I'd hate and I was fed up with the long commute to London .

I've been reading the thread to pick up tips .

I've been lucky enough to get redundancy so have a years cushion as I plan to find part time work more to give me structure and social interaction so still count myself as retired as I'm not working as necessity but choice. I'm also doing some regular volunteering to keep active.

Luckily a former colleague did the same a couple of years ago and has sent me a tick list of things to do like ring the tax people in May as getting a lump redundancy payment in may makes them put you on higher rate tax on the assumption you will earn that every month .

Thank you to multiple posters in the thread for various pointers
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've just passed the 6 months of retirement mark and have had a bit of a setback healthwise.

It seems to have stemmed from being left in limbo between finishing the decorating and DIY indoors and wanting to start the garden. The weather has put paid to the garden work for now, snow, rain, hail, wind, freezing bloody cold :mad: And on top of that there's been a couple of other things that have stressed me up to the eyeballs :(

I have been festering indoors since January, finding myself without a project to work on and having far too much thinking time which has resulted in me getting overly anxious about every little thing.

My Doctor has been brilliant and has sent me for every test under the sun, all results have come back as normal, there is nothing sinister going on, so that's good news.

I just need to give myself a kick up the jacksey and get on with things. Having got the test results back I am now feeling much more positive and am looking forward to better weather (surely it HAS to get better soon?) so I can get stuck in outside!
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
  • I am enjoying work. When I want a day off, I do not ring in sick, I just say I need a day off, and guess what, I get it off.
    All I do is minibus school kids, so it is only term time. I thought it would be easy to want to retire when I drew down all my pensions. Only pension pot left is a small amount in auto enrolment, I am in process of deciding what to do with it.
    So for now, as they are desperately short of drivers, I can do as I please. I am going to get some t shirts saying.....what you gonna do, fire me!
    But seriously, as I am a mad keen gardener, and the weather is warming up, I just might say stuff it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    CommyTooper
    I find your post rather flippant and I am not sure of its purpose. Please clarify what point you are trying to make. To be honest I would be rather worried if you were carrying my child in your minibus with your don't care less attitude. If you have nothing useful to say please refrain from posting.
  • bournefree
    bournefree Posts: 118 Forumite
    Hello everyone. Well, having decided a year ago to take voluntary severance at the end of July 2018 it is finally approaching! It has been a rollercoaster over the last two years workwise. I wasn't sure that I had made the right decision at the time, but now it is beginning to feel that the time is right. There is only so much continual change and uncertainty that you can take. I will be 59.5 when I leave, and will need to find some work to make up the shortfall between now and 66, when my State Pension will kick in. After having to spend 2 hours a day travelling to work and back, I'd like something very local and probably part-time, so I can at last have a life after 36 years in teaching! I want to do something that will help others and bring in a little money. The thought of not working and having some job income is scary!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    joansgirl wrote: »
    I've just passed the 6 months of retirement mark and have had a bit of a setback healthwise.

It seems to have stemmed from being left in limbo between finishing the decorating and DIY indoors and wanting to start the garden. The weather has put paid to the garden work for now, snow, rain, hail, wind, freezing bloody cold

I wonder if you have been suffering with Seasonal Affective Disorder?

It was something we became aware of when the pressures of work eased-off somewhat, before moving to a completely different environment, where sunlight wasn't restricted by buildings and trees.

Nowadays, my lifestyle sees me outdoors each day, even in the depths of winter. It might not be for very long if the weather's inclement, but I have to do a certain amount; come rain, come shine. That hopeless feeling I'd have as the days shorten in early November no longer troubles me, although I'm as glad as the next person when the green shoots appear and the first swallow appears above the house!

The problem is maybe finding a reason to go outdoors in winter. A dog? A self-imposed fitness regime? A new skill, like photography? There must be better options than hedge-laying and mucking out!:rotfl:
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I wonder if you have been suffering with Seasonal Affective Disorder?

It was something we became aware of when the pressures of work eased-off somewhat, before moving to a completely different environment, where sunlight wasn't restricted by buildings and trees.

Nowadays, my lifestyle sees me outdoors each day, even in the depths of winter. It might not be for very long if the weather's inclement, but I have to do a certain amount; come rain, come shine. That hopeless feeling I'd have as the days shorten in early November no longer troubles me, although I'm as glad as the next person when the green shoots appear and the first swallow appears above the house!

The problem is maybe finding a reason to go outdoors in winter. A dog? A self-imposed fitness regime? A new skill, like photography? There must be better options than hedge-laying and mucking out!:rotfl:

I've got a dog that I walk for a couple of hours a day, whatever the weather. It's not that. It was too much thinking time, getting paranoid over ridiculous things and having an over active imagination :o

Seems to be sorted now though, plus the weather has improved. Unfortunately I now have a physical problem, caused by the afore mentioned mutt, that is preventing me from doing very much, but that too will pass. I'm feeling much more positive than I was :)
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well after my enjoyable week in Tenerife Mrs CRV is now there for a few days with her Dad. We now have an offer from our niece to house sit for us if we want to go away and she's confident and able to care for our diabetic dog! So we may get a week away together in September!

Retirement planning is ongoing, I can go in October at 55 but if I work until I'm 58 I get my pension boosted by 12%, I'm also looking to change roles, hopefully to one that pays shift allowance so getting another boost, I don't want to slip into the one more year trap but when faced with actually giving notice to retire it does seem rather final and a little unnerving!

I've put a couple of applications in for new roles so will wait and see if I get called for interviews. If not it's back to plan A, take pension and work agency for a few years!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have booked a summer trip for us both and another one for myself later on, at least. I wish I had a friend to go with.

Just to say book a holiday that caters for singles, or a cruise (lots of singles there) Generally folk who are used to travelling alone are very out-going, so you are very likely to make new friends that way
    Or pick a holiday with Saga or an activity holiday such as cookery, painting etc.

I've been travelling alone for years- not a problem.
    Enjoy!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Dear all. Just a little update! Recent better weather has allowed me to get the garden almost ready for summer. Exam invigilation is just beginning to get underway and will be fairly full on for the next 8 weeks or so. Then a visit to Cyprus in mid June. During the past 4 weeks have met several ex 6th formers of mine for lunches when on University vacation. Great to hear how they are progressing and their future plans. Hopeful of being offered some part-time teaching work next academic year which I'm excited about. Been fine to relax this year but I don't yet feel completely finished with education. I did apply for a role as a community adult tutor but heard nothing back!
    Finally just upgraded my car which I collect on Monday. It has meant my short term savings have taken a hit but my current car is 10 years old and harder to maintain as well as the road tax being £540 a year!!!! Running costs of newer car will be much less which will improve monthly cash flow.Also first car I have paid for without having to borrow anything! I have also treated myself to a personalised number plate. Maybe extravagant but after the year or so I've had I decided to go for it!
    Take care all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport