PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help! Vegan friend coming to dinner!

Comments

• ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Or you could be cheeky and ask her to bring dessert - she will no doubt have her favourites. I'm a vegan myself and never mind if people do this.
  • dbrookf
    dbrookf Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ThemeOne wrote: »
    Or you could be cheeky and ask her to bring dessert - she will no doubt have her favourites. I'm a vegan myself and never mind if people do this.

Tempted! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Corona wrote: »
    I know this will be too late for this evening - but in case you ever ask her again ... There's a lovely non-dairy "ice cream" called Swedish Glace (I've seen it in Sainsbobs, Waitrose and Iceland) which is lovely served with anything.

It is very nice. Ben and Jerrys also do a vegan ice cream too.

Birds custard power (has to be the powder) is also vegan. Make it up with rice / soya / nut milk.

I have just bought this chap's cookbook:

https://www.avantgardevegan.com/my-recipes/

Some nice (if a bit more complicate to make) recipes to make.
  • buildersdaughter
    buildersdaughter Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 February 2018 at 8:54AM
    Of course, dbrookf, but it feels to me, hardly like a recipe, as it's so simple and I've done it all my life!
    Thanks, moneyistoo.... as I had forgotten that strict vegans are very careful about booze (the ones I know aren't!)
    Anyway, you need an apple each - a medium size cooking apple, especially Bramley, is best, but it will work with a large eating apple. You cut the core out - I have inherited a handy little gadget for this, and they can be found cheaply. If not, you have to stand it upright and, using a narrow bladed knife, cut round the core, from top and bottom, so you can push it out. Don't peel.
    Now, you can fill the cavity with mincemeat or dried fruit, and I have known a little plug of left-over marzipan put in the bottom as well. You don't need any fat if using mincemeat. If it's just fruit, I add a little butter on the top, for a lovely taste, but plain oil will be fine for vegans. If cutting down on the fat, just rub a little on the dish to stop it sticking. You can splash in some booze - almost any kind, but I use whisky / rum / brandy from Xmas stash, or a little fruit juice - orange or grape works very well - and I have known fruit teas or similar used. I don't add sugar, but some will drizzle in honey.
    If your dried fruit is very dry, soak it beforehand. I wrap the dish in foil or put a lid on.
    Now your apple can go in almost any oven except a very hot one. I would normally put in the bottom of the oven while the main dish cooked. It will do beautifully in a slow cooker. In a medium oven it will take 30-45 minutes. Sometimes the skin will split - it is not always a beautiful dish to look at, but is delicious. Serve as it is. Sometimes the skin gets a bit hard in cooking, but you can easily scrape off all the lovely apple as you eat.

We are, in my world, just at the end of baked apple time, it is a glorious winter treat. Now the last of the stored apples have been used, or need cutting up, and the oranges from Spain are in the shops. But it is a dish that can be enjoyed at any time.
  • Honey isn't vegan.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • When my gran cooked baked apples she used to run the knife around the middle of the skin to prevent it splitting and now I do the same, although DH isn't keen on baked apples so we don't have them very often.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2018 at 10:02AM
    Honey isn't vegan.

There are differing views on this I believe - as it doesnt involve killing a living being.

Personally though - it's easy enough to find an alternative sweetener to use these days. Maple syrup and date syrup are the two that come immediately to my mind.

Blackstrap molasses is another one I keep in as well.

With food - I always take the view personally to cater in whichever way my guest requires in all respects (unless it's something that would go against my own ethics/health/etc).

There's times/places to "stick to one's guns and refuse to budge an inch" - but food isn't one of them imo.
  • No, I realise that honey isn't vegan - I thought that as the request came from another poster, it was a general request, although of the course the post title is about vegans.
    I have tried running the knife round the middle, and found it just all spills everywhere - if cooking slowly it doesn't tend to split. But honestly, it's one of those dishes where you do what works for you.
    I have used maple syrup when I got some as a gift and it was delicious - I think that the apple absorbs these lovely flavours so make it all the nicer.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I have a vegan stepgrandson and for Christmas I made him a tin of Vegan Brownies, (just googled them for a recipe) and I think he ate the lot on Christmas Day.
    They were a doddle to make and would be nice served warm with some vegan ice cream.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Look at Jack Monroe - Cooking on a Bootstrap. She has lots of vegan recipes.
    One life - your life - live it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport