Complimentary funds alongside Vanguard LS 60

Im wondering what peoples thoughts are about what would be a good fund to hold alongside the vanguard lifestrategy 60. Or, is there no real need for an amateur investor like me to worry about investing in another fund and just put all my money into the VLS60.

All suggestions and reasoning welcome.

Comments

• Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think VLS60 is a very good option for an inexperienced investor. If you have substantial sums to invest, say over £50k, I would suggest not investing it all in VLS60, but if you are starting from a lower base and adding to it monthly, one multi asset fund like VLS60 is enough in my view.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you do not have the knowledge to decide this for yourself then you should not attempt trying to break the asset allocation of VLS.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Once you know the answer to your question you may well not want to invest in VLS60 at all. Until then it's fine on its own. However you could use it as the mainstay of your portfolio whilst you gain experience in relatively small %s of other funds perhaps EM, Small Companies or other more niche funds.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Linton wrote: »
    Once you know the answer to your question you may well not want to invest in VLS60 at all.

So true however it's a lot better than going totally DIY and completely messing things up.
  • Linton wrote: »
    However you could use it as the mainstay of your portfolio whilst you gain experience

This is the approach I took(VLS80) , although, my current and future LiSA contributions are in HSBC Global Dynamic following suggestions on this board.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 February 2018 at 9:51PM
    Alistair31 wrote: »
    This is the approach I took(VLS80) , although, my current and future LiSA contributions are in HSBC Global Dynamic following suggestions on this board.

Both good funds. I have more respect for VLS80 than VLS60. I can't imagine why anyone would want to be VLS60 heavy on government bonds when they are already very expensive with limited upside. I think VLS60 mixes well with HSBC GS Balanced to get the corporate bonds exposure and bring down the UK bias.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    matt1983 wrote: »
    Im wondering what peoples thoughts are about what would be a good fund to hold alongside the vanguard lifestrategy 60. Or, is there no real need for an amateur investor like me to worry about investing in another fund and just put all my money into the VLS60.

All suggestions and reasoning welcome.
    I would want as many complimentary funds as I could get!
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    dunstonh wrote: »
    If you do not have the knowledge to decide this for yourself then you should not attempt trying to break the asset allocation of VLS.

How would someone gain this knowledge?
  • TheShape wrote: »
    Read. Lots.

I read monevator. Com retirementinvestingtoday.com
    UK value investor

Lots of early retirement blogs. Such as fireinlondon

All have different ideas and portfolios. I personally think like Dunston it's more important the volatility and risk (in this case as long as your diversified the risk of assets going g up and down by more than you can handle) you're able to accept then many of these funds on small amounts the difference is going to be minimal. For myself I've chosen to accept volatility and I'm all in equities both my company pension in aegon global tracker (130k)"and ISA in Vls 100(25k). . I lost almost 10% on both my pension and my isa last week. All I did was put a few hundred spare change in my isa and increased my monthly investment. I've got 25k in my isa all in Vls and until I have 50k I won't do anything else. At that point I may add another tracker in say small caps or other areas Vls don't cover but then I have the added complication of deciding % and rebalancing. Once I have more across both I may look to convert some of my company pension to a sipp to start to do more bespoke investment but atm I'm not at all confident in picking my own funds. So I don't. Very happy to admit I'm Not ready
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    TheShape wrote: »

Impossible to become an expert in everything. Focus on a particular niche, or market sector. Perhaps the area you work in. The smaller the company the greater the opportunity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure