Disposal of coolant

Hey guys,

Changed my antifreeze today, and have just tried to dispose of the old, which incidently looked the same as the new, in an unmarked 5 litre container at my local tip, only to be told they can't take it unless it has a label... I'm 100% certain the last change I did, a couple of years back they were okay with it going in the oil, even helped me chuck the container if I recall? This time round though I was told I'd need to get in touch with the council for disposal...

Any ideas? I'm trying to be environmentally friendly at all that but at this rate it'll be going down the toilet! Some of the cleaning products I use have got more warnings on them than the antifreeze anyway.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Chuck it in the bin.
  • Chuck it in the bin.
    I'm trying to be environmentally friendly

Maybe try reading the OP?

OP call your Council and ask them what you should do with it.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    slipd wrote: »
    Changed my antifreeze today, and have just tried to dispose of the old, which incidently looked the same as the new, in an unmarked 5 litre container at my local tip, only to be told they can't take it unless it has a label...

Any ideas?

Put a label on it?
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Is it bad to put it down the loo? (Though not of course down a rainwater drain if that goes to a separate sewer).
  • treboeth wrote: »
    I'm trying to be environmentally friendly

Maybe try reading the OP?

OP call your Council and ask them what you should do with it.

Better than going down the toilet.
  • Thanks guys, spoke to a colleague who used to contract (Environmental) for the Council where I live and she said that the item would be treated as 'Special/Hazardous' and it would more than likely cost me. A lot!

Her advice? Toilet. She said that the bleach's/cleaners that we all stick down there are far more hazardous than old antifreeze... just make sure you give it a few extra flushes!

So there you have it, worth bearing in mind the next time that you change your coolant :D
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I highly doubt it will cost at all, let alone a lot. Especially since all they want is a label.

Youve tried to do it the right way, id just toilet it now
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    slipd wrote: »
    Thanks guys, spoke to a colleague who used to contract (Environmental) for the Council where I live and she said that the item would be treated as 'Special/Hazardous' and it would more than likely cost me. A lot!

Much of the stuff that goes to the household waste site has special/hazardous contents. Car batteries, engine oil, mobile phone batteries, refrigerators, old TVs.....
  • Add a label or write on it with a marker pen.
  • slipd wrote: »
    Thanks guys, spoke to a colleague who used to contract (Environmental) for the Council where I live and she said that the item would be treated as 'Special/Hazardous' and it would more than likely cost me. A lot!

Her advice? Toilet. She said that the bleach's/cleaners that we all stick down there are far more hazardous than old antifreeze... just make sure you give it a few extra flushes!

So there you have it, worth bearing in mind the next time that you change your coolant :D
    Highly unlikely water companies would agree with this advice. They accept that limited amounts of cleaning products will need to be removed from waste water but are unlikely to welcome the sewage system being used for chemical disposal. Try asking them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure