EH - Essex > Hebrides...the next step of the adventure?

Comments

• WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thank you for all your help with getting the diaries back EH

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    beanielou wrote: »
    Sorry to be dim but but what is MSE's budget brain.

WE just need SA's diary back now.

It's THIS Beanie - been about for a while but sadly as you can see from the page they've had some problems with it of late.
    Thank you for all your help with getting the diaries back EH

x

Ahh all I did was got a bit stroppy WF - it's the forum team who are the miracle workers of diary restoration! :D

Fingers crossed the other stuff that was lost will be recovered in due course as well.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    It's THIS Beanie - been about for a while but sadly as you can see from the page they've had some problems with it of late.

Ahh all I did was got a bit stroppy WF - it's the forum team who are the miracle workers of diary restoration! :D

Fingers crossed the other stuff that was lost will be recovered in due course as well.

Yes, sadly just getting an error message.
    Thanks though:A
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying It might be that it's because of the distinctive taste the BG loves them rather than in spite of? I'm guessing there is some logic in children that are brought up with strongly flavoured foods introduced as at a young age being less open to blander stuff?

And yes - MrEH does indeed have odd tastes. He DOES love Marmite though - and turned me from an indifferent into a lover of the stuff, so not all bad! :D:rotfl: (Yes I did just mention that solely to spark the inevitable debate!)

Maybe, maybe. BG's tastes never cease to amaze me, as I was extremely lucky during pregnancy, and can't think of one food item that I couldn't eat/didn't like/made me sick/went off etc, so they were exposed to curries and aromatics, and fruits and dairy and allsorts. And yet sometimes, they won't even try things. The baybeebelle is a case in point. Wouldn't try it in toddler size slices, wouldn't hold the whole thing and munch, but has just polished some off, chopped up in their pasta and pesto............ :huh:

I've returned to marm1te. I used to eat it as a child. Went off it, and then have recently started to eat it - for the B vitamin content. I'm reluctant to introduce it to BG because of the salt content, but when proffered a tiny morsel of toast with just a smear of it on, BG said, 'Nooooo' in the way that they have of making it quite clear that they ain't touching THAT.

beanie - I'm a cheapskate and buy black olives in brine - hence the salt, but I do normally soak them in fresh water to leach out some of the salt - particularly if marinating them.

Keep up the good work EH! :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    MrEH is so wrong...olives are the greatest food known to mankind. And olive oil. And balsamic vinegar. And bread, and cheese...basically a Mediterranean diet for me:rotfl:

Balsamic vinegar goes great on chips... ;)
    The car thing is very annoying , wish the government would make its mind up .

The government can never make its mind up. That's because its half made up of the "communicators/influencers/visionaries" for whom "Reality" was an optional 30 minute slot on their Interpretive Dance module, and the other half are engineers and scientists for whom reality is a very harsh mistress indeed.

So we have the "re-use bags for the carbon!" bags brigade, and the "try to avoid dying if you do" side - and BTW the carbon thing is bollox anyway.

The "we'll force you to use combi boilers because they're more efficient (according to our computer models which were constructed to our specification)" vs the "no they're not, we measured them"

And now we have the "we'll ban the sale of non-electric cars by 2040" thing, where the National Grid says "you can't charge a car and cook/have a cuppa/have a shower etc at the same time. And BTW, if 5 of your neighbours charge at the same time as you, you'll blow the substation and you'll all sit in the dark and cold"

On the bright side, the virtue signally brigade will lose influence and the realists will take over when the government runs out of money and needs to face reality.

On the dark side, it's our money they will have run out of...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Some info on the new MoT Test thing HERE DFD - the thing of most concern for my car is the "any visible smoke" thing - she never kicks out black or blue smoke at all but I do apparently get a small puff of white on starting - this is relating to the injectors beginning to show their age. From what I'd read though it seems entirely down to the tester's view on whether there is smoke or not, and how much of it is "any visible".

It looks like it only applies to cars with DPFs - so cars of a certain vintage (i.e. mine) won't fall under it. :T

May be worth buying a really old car...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • EssexHebridean
    edited 8 February 2018 at 12:23PM
    Eh-up Z - thanks for popping by! Yes - a lot of the MoT Test stuff is to do with the DPF's - mine has one and MrEH's hasn't (Well we don't think so - trying to find a definite on this is not proving easy!) but anything we'd look to replace his with now will be our "long distance and Islands" car so we'll not be buying anything ancient. Having had the experience of breaking down in the Hebrides with an "only just" phone signal and questionable knowledge of location (as in - we knew where we were, but trying to explain it to the lass on the phone was nearly impossible!) I don;t fancy risking it again! :rotfl:

VERY glad you mentioned the thing about the National Grid's concerns in relation to all this electric car stuff too - then you have the fact that in London (And I suspect a lot of other cities too!) you can't charge the things outside home as you're not allowed to run cables over the pavement... :mad:

Greying In fairness if someone offered YOU a bit of toast with a smear of something brown and sticky looking on it, would your first reaction be to eat it?! Thought not! :rotfl::rotfl:

Lovely bright sunny day down here today and I think now *quite* as cold albeit I've maybe not been out in it for long enough to tell yet...I'll review my opinion at lunchtime!

Spends today should be limited to gym payment tonight. :T Yesterday was a NSD. :T

£10.86 cashed out from Prolific - £2.41 pending.
    OnePoll now at £9.65
    Must log in and sort out TCB.

**edit** £5.86 coming from TCB
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • Greying In fairness if someone offered YOU a bit of toast with a smear of something brown and sticky looking on it, would your first reaction be to eat it?! Thought not! :rotfl::rotfl:

Phrased like that EH.... p'raps not........... ;):rotfl::rotfl:

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Phrased like that EH.... p'raps not........... ;):rotfl::rotfl:

Greying X

Indeed:rotfl::rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • EssexHebridean
    OK - unplanned spendiness has occurred. Hear me out though - it's all good, I think...

Had an email through last week from "Heartier" - the meat people that MSE do deals with from time to time. We had one of their meat boxes on the last of those offers and were VERY impressed - excellent quality and provenance, all high welfare etc. The offer last week was for 55% off one of their bigger boxes - and we ummed and ahhed over it. The reminder came through today and we did some more debating before deciding to go for it - but to order a few extra bits as well to bring the order to the £50 threshold for free delivery so as to increase the value still further. Spend to save - that's a thing right? ;) So next Tuesday I have arriving:
    Roasts & Steaks box (Link HERE
    1 x ham hock
    1 x pack Scrag End lamb
    2 x packs pork sausages
    Paying a total of £50.40 - and I reckon I'll extract at least 33 meals out of that including several Sunday lunches which I always budget a bit extra for. :T Happy with that and well worth a spend. The aim between now and then will be to eat as much from the freezer as we can, naturally...!
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills