money mule help

Right, I am not asking for forgiveness or criticism I know what I have done is dumb and stupid I know that I have potentially messed up my future but here is my story:

I am 17 and was duped into a money mule scheme online I have been threatened and blackmailed by fraudsters who have my details, but here is where the story starts over 2 weeks ago I accepted a payment of 3k and to transfer the funds to another account by some hoax story claiming the money came from some sort of worker at the bank, I said to the guy that I did not want to do it over the phone he said the money had already been sent to my account and that I could not back out of it then threats insinuated and I did the job the next day

my hsbc has now been temporarily frozen for over 2 weeks with no one notifying me which I know isn't a requirement on the banks part however they have not raised any issues with me I assume this means my account is under investigation right now. I want to know any advice anyone has on this topic as I am young and have a bright fashion design career ahead of myself as I recently got accepted to one of the best fashion schools in the UK I want to know what action I should take and what will happen to my future as I have not been able to sleep or eat recently with this massive problem lingering over me.

Many thanks for anyone that can advise me in what to do.

Comments

• You will go to prison for the rest of your life. Or nothing will happen. Or something in between.

If this isn't school holiday nonsense then kiss goodbye to any form of banking for the next 6 years and if you have a history of being a money mule expect the police to take a serious interest in your affairs.
  • twizzzt
    twizzzt Posts: 16
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks for the reply I have no history or any criminal offenses on my record and have never been in trouble with the law before
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,146
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You were duped/scammed/threatened and reported this yourself to the bank/the police?
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    and this is why I don't like Martin talking about setting up mule accounts.
    They have a totally different connotation.

My advice?
    Go to the bank and the police now, if you haven't done so already
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • twizzzt
    Forumite
    I have not gone to the banks or police as I am threatened if I !!!8220;snitch!!!8221;
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,146
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have not gone to the banks or police as I am threatened if I !!!8220;snitch!!!8221;

In these circumstances I think you need to go to the police.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It's the Police's job to protect you if you are being threatened by criminals. Even though you have also committed a criminal offence now.

You are also likely to have "earned" yourself a 1st party fraud marker on CIFAS, which will prevent you from getting a bank account for many years. Your only slight hope would be if you could convince HSBC that they should give you another chance but don't rely on this happening.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What personal details did you give to the scammers? At any rate it's likely they're not based in the UK and their threats are empty.

Report the incident with https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ and also volunteer the information with your bank. They may be unwilling to give you an update on the status of your account but it never hurts to demonstrate your willingness to cooperate. If you haven't done so already you should probably open an account with a different banking group as it's possible your existing bank won't want you as a customer after this.

What you've done won't necessarily be deemed to be prosecutable criminal activity, so your future career isn't at great risk, but in terms of your ability to deal with banks it may hinder you. There are ways around this but it's a pain in the backside. Anyway, best of luck getting through this and moving on with your life.
    : )
  • twizzzt
    Forumite
    Thank you very much I currently use Santander as my other account and the fraudsters know my address and Steven actually located around 1hr drive from my address hence why I have been feeling so anxious
  • twizzzt wrote: »

We know where you live..we know where you bank and yes we are watching you right now,be afraid..be very afraid.

We are TV licensing and you do not have a valid license.

:rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport