£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Made the blackcurrant ice cream for pudding today. Enormously unhealthy but really really yummy. Loads of it left for another meal or two as well.

Feeling like I've really made some nice progress on work and house stuff today - and all down to having only three things on my list at a time! The benefits are huge for me - I don't get overwhelmed, but also it stops me getting distracted by things that are less urgent and avoiding the jobs I don't really want to do. Having only three things on my list makes me really prioritise what needs to be done and what can wait.

Savings/Spends:
    - £7.05/£28 February 'rounding down' overpayment pot
    - £764.80/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.

To do today
    1. Order some stock for work. Done.
    2. Email someone re work dates for March. Done.
    3. Get further ahead on contract work (am currently a few days ahead, the aim is to be a month ahead by the end of Feb). Done.
    4. Laundry - am nicely on top of it at the moment. Done.
    5. Ironing - likewise, am enjoying being on top of this. Done.
    6. Plan next week. Done.
    7. Pack order for smaller business. Done.
    8. Make onion quiche. Done.
    9. Make blackcurrant ice cream. Done.
    10. Hand washing of the delicates. Done.
    11. Book campsite for big August holiday. Done.
    12.Plan hm gifts for birthdays and Christmas. Done.

To do this week
    1. More decluttering - particularly the lego!
    2. Finish planning any handmade gifts for birthdays/Christmas 2018 so I can ensure they are done well in advance. Done.
    3. Arrrange a refund for a cancelled swimming lesson of DC2's.

To do in February
    1. Restart social media for my website, which has really been on the back burner so far this year.
    2. Eat the contents of the freezer and defrost it. Ongoing, doesn't feel like we've made much of a dent yet!
    3. Play around with designs to discuss with the architect in early March.
    4. Have a laid back half term with the DC, doing activities at home, walks and crafts. Too many busy weeks recently.
    5. SLOW DOWN. This started well at the beginning of the year, but has fallen by the wayside. I have a couple of fractionally less busy weeks coming up, must make a real effort not to fill them with All The Things. This is going pretty well, I'm feeling fairly calm.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Moneywhizz
    Options
    Just wondering what your plans are for funding your extension? It doesn't look as if you have much room left for remortgaging, so maybe you should be looking to throw as much of your extra income into a Savings pot so that you can get it done sooner rather than later. If your debt is at 0% for a long time and you feel reasonably comfortable with it, maybe you should just keep paying the minimums and build up your savings. I think having space as a family is more important to you than being debt free so that should be your focus. Being able to do both would be wonderful but not really realistic at the moment. That is, of course, dependent on you not dipping into the savings for other things that crop up along the way, but I think knowing that everything you spend puts your extension dream further away will keep you on the right track. Good luck.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options

I like the verruca treatment coming under the food budget... or maybe I don't. :D

Eww! Not sure if this is :rotfl: or :eek:

When DS had one I could not get it to go - he ended up seeing the nurse who froze it out
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 52: Day 2

I always have the urge to hum 'just another manic Monday' when I come on here to post my Monday morning hello. Even though today isn't actually terribly manic, as it happens.

Did some decluttering of craft supplies yesterday as it was getting a bit 'talking the talking but not walking the walk' when I was asking the DC to clear stuff but not addressing it myself. Slightly appalled at the amount I have accumulated over the years, and the amount of money I must have spent. I am such a minimalist now that I'd rather get rid of the whole lot and just re-buy it if I need it, but I'm trying to be more sensible and have just got rid of the stuff I will definitely never use (multiple small scraps of green fabric with cartoon sheep on, anyone?). It's re-inspired me to get going on some handmade gifts and start to use up what's left (which still fills six 35cm cubed Ikea Kallax boxes :o :eek: ). Not quite sure of the best place to get rid of it - lots of teeny weeny fabric scraps, quite a lot of felt. My friend works for the local community centre, I might ask her if she knows anywhere that can use it.

DH has been brilliant about not spending since I insisted on sitting down for a weekly budget chat (it's only been two weeks, but whatever. Let's get the praise in while we can :rotfl: ). Only £8.90 total spent this weekend out of a family entertainment weekly budget of £35, so I have split some of the excess (not all in case a forgotten transaction comes out today or tomorrow!) between more entertainment budget for next week while we are away and a bit extra onto the debt over payment for this month. I am surprised how much difference just adding a few pence/pounds here and there is making to the amount available for overpayment (I am avoiding paying it until the Virgin balance transfer has gone through as I don't want to end up in credit on the Partnership and have to ask for it back!). Up to £12.63 extra already this month which isn't exactly impressive, but every little helps, right?

Really pleased to have booked our 'big' camping holiday - a full week's camping in West Wales. God knows what the weather will be like, but we're fairly intrepid. We've splashed out on an electric hook up (need to buy a cable) and we'll buy an electric cool box at some stage. It's a fairly comprehensive, although smallish, campsite with a little cafe and laundry facilities, so if the weather is dire at least we can keep clean and dry! Hoping to get our hands on a secondhand little trailer for taking extra gear - must put the word out on FB as a couple of friends have mentioned that they might be able to lay hands on one.

Savings/Spends:
    - £12.63/£28 February 'rounding down' overpayment pot
    - £8.90 (DH) on day out with the DCs.
    - £60 deposit for camping holiday (£178 left to pay before end July).

To do today
    1. Sort the DCs' lego.
    2. Pack up the decluttering mountain into bags and boxes for the charity shop.
    3. Post office trip and walk.
    4. Give the bathroom its weekly 'proper' clean (as opposed to daily rush job).
    5. Prep cauliflower and broccoli cheese for dinner.
    6. Cook butternut squash soup for tomorrow.

To do this week
    1. More decluttering - particularly the lego!
    2. Finish planning any handmade gifts for birthdays/Christmas 2018 so I can ensure they are done well in advance. Done.
    3. Arrange a refund for a cancelled swimming lesson of DC2's.

To do in February
    1. Restart social media for my website, which has really been on the back burner so far this year.
    2. Eat the contents of the freezer and defrost it. Ongoing, doesn't feel like we've made much of a dent yet!
    4. Have a laid back half term with the DC, doing activities at home, walks and crafts. Too many busy weeks recently.
    5. SLOW DOWN. This started well at the beginning of the year, but has fallen by the wayside. I have a couple of fractionally less busy weeks coming up, must make a real effort not to fill them with All The Things. This is going pretty well, I'm feeling fairly calm.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Eww! Not sure if this is :rotfl: or :eek:

When DS had one I could not get it to go - he ended up seeing the nurse who froze it out
    After years of tedious daily applications for months when the DCs got one, DH found some super strength stuff that seems to get rid of them pretty quickly.
    Moneywhizz wrote: »
    Just wondering what your plans are for funding your extension? It doesn't look as if you have much room left for remortgaging, so maybe you should be looking to throw as much of your extra income into a Savings pot so that you can get it done sooner rather than later. If your debt is at 0% for a long time and you feel reasonably comfortable with it, maybe you should just keep paying the minimums and build up your savings. I think having space as a family is more important to you than being debt free so that should be your focus. Being able to do both would be wonderful but not really realistic at the moment. That is, of course, dependent on you not dipping into the savings for other things that crop up along the way, but I think knowing that everything you spend puts your extension dream further away will keep you on the right track. Good luck.
    Our plans at the moment are a lot of optimism and a lot of acceptance of additional debt. We are saving £300pm, but that will almost entirely go on architects fees, structural engineer's fees and planning permission. I am splitting any extra income between overpaying debt and building a savings pot for the extension one I have built up a little bit more of a buffer in my business account. I'm hoping that by midsummer we'll have a clearer idea of how our finances will look and we can make a decision on how quickly to go ahead and how we might fund it. The big problem is not the ability to borrow (we are fairly ok to lend to - on paper - these days) but the making repayments, as it will add so much extra stress to our outgoings. We'll see how it goes.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would get rid of that partnership card so you are not tempted to spend on it again. Good that your DH is also being careful too. Communication is the key to it all so you are both working towards the same goals.

On the other hand communication between DH and I yesterday resulted in his goal being a Sky Q box (whatever that is) and mine is saving for new kitchen and bathrooms which are all now coming up to 20 years old !! :rotfl::rotfl:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • dangers
    dangers Posts: 1,456 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Long term lurker here - with regard to any excess craft stuff, why don!!!8217;t you ask pre-school/school if they!!!8217;d like it (if appropriate). Pre schools and schools are always crying out for stuff so far as I am aware.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Well today was going super well and efficiently, until I locked myself out. Luckily it was at 2pm. so I killed an hour, then a friend took pity on us and invited us over for an impromptu playdate after school until DH got home from work (he works an hour away, so tricky for him to pop back), so I didn't need to pay for a locksmith or break in. MUST get a spare key cut, it's the second time I've done it since we moved here two years ago, and DH has done it once too.

Annoyingly I had been super organised and laid out a lovely craft activity for after school, which there then wasn't time to do :( . Will recreate on Wednesday when we have time again.

Friend has volunteered to take all the fabric/crafty stuff - she works at a family centre/preschool, and can distribute any excess to similar centres. Nice to be able to send it to a good home rather than just the charity shop rag bag.

Savings/Spends:
    - £12.63/£28 February 'rounding down' overpayment pot

To do today
    1. Sort the DCs' lego. Done! SO PLEASED.
    2. Pack up the decluttering mountain into bags and boxes for the charity shop. Done.
    3. Post office trip and walk. Done. Longer walk than planned due to being locked out!
    4. Give the bathroom its weekly 'proper' clean (as opposed to daily rush job). Done.
    5. Prep cauliflower and broccoli cheese for dinner. Didn't do it before locking myself out, but managed to make it anyway.
    6. Cook butternut squash soup for tomorrow. Not done, due to locking out issue!

To do this week
    1. More decluttering - particularly the lego! DONE DONE DONE.

To do in February
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What a nuisance :(
    Still, your children had an unexpected playdate, I expect you had a nice chat with your friend, and the craft activity you planned can happen another day :)
    I bet you will get around to having that key cut now though!
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 52: Day 3

Bleurgh, have woken up all bunged up and exhausted. Don't want to get ill, has been nice having a healthy household for a few weeks after the post-Christmas colds! Although poor DS1 was feeling very sorry for himself yesterday - he tumbled over at school and has a horribly graze/bruise down one leg and on his shoulder. I remember so well that horrible stinging burning pain of a grazed knee as a child.

DawnW that is such a good way of looking at things, we did indeed have a lovely afternoon. And even better, I have discovered we have a spare back door key, so I don't even need to pay to get a key cut. I am going to find somewhere to hide it today.

Enquiries have slowed down for work, which is good (I am knackered) and bad (no more money!). I do have a couple in the pipeline, so fingers crossed they will come through, but nothing like the post-Christmas flurry. Feeling very relieved I have my buffer in place - almost all of May's money saved, but not quite there yet. I have a few days where I can focus on getting ahead on my contract work and back on top of my social media, which I'm pleased about - my poor neglected website needs some attention. In previous years I would have been so thrilled with this chunk of money coming in and the whole lot would have been spent, and then it would have been panic stations and CC spending for the next few months.

Oh, annoying news on the Virgin balance transfer. They rang last night. Apparently they can't do a balance transfer where the debt is in a different name (I have been named with my married name on the Virgin account, but the Partnership card is in my maiden name). So irritating. DH is going to phone them today and see what can be done, but if they can't do anything at Virgin's end I have to take my marriage certificate into a John Lewis to prove the name change, then wait for it all to go through before we can transfer the balance. Grrrr.

In brighter news, I'm over halfway towards my monthly 'rounding down' overpayment goal, which is rather pleasing. And have finally crossed the £1k barrier in my 2018 debt repayments. Slightly ahead of schedule for paying back £5k this year, but not wildly so.

Savings/Spends:
    - £14.48/£28 February 'rounding down' overpayment pot
    - £1,046.80/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.

To do today
    1. Clear emails and chase up some non-responders for a work issue.
    2. Line up some social media posts.
    3. Get further ahead on contract work.
    4. Give the kitchen a proper clean.
    5. Make soup for dinner. Has to be done while the DC are at school as they don't like butternut squash soup, but they do like 'pumpkin soup' - i.e. butternut squash soup made by a mother who lies to them.

To do this week
    1. More decluttering - particularly the lego! DONE DONE DONE.

To do in February
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback