PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    I've finally finished Empire of the Sun. It was based on the author's experiences of being in a Japanese POW camp in China in WW2, interesting and very thought provoking. I don't think teenage boys nowadays would be so naive, but I think in many ways it was his naivety that allowed him to survive in the POW camp. He was totally oblivious to how nasty and dangerous some of his fellow prisoners were, and his relationships with the Japanese verged on what would now be called Stockholm Syndrome.

I want something different next, so I'm about to start on Flyte, the second in the Septimus Heap series of children's fantasy books.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Winchelsea
    Winchelsea Posts: 693 Forumite
    Ames - I loved Empire of the Sun. - one of those books where you want to turn to p.1 and read it all over again.
    Love the film too.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • Winchelsea
    Winchelsea Posts: 693 Forumite
    I finished Dancing at the Rascal Fair, by Ivan Doig, last night. I rate my books out of 5, and it was definitely a 5 - loved it. I've got the other two in the trilogy lined up.

In P***ndland this afternoon I picked up The Temporary Gentleman by Sebastian Barry (obviously for a pound!) He's such a good writer. I enjoyed A Long Long Way, also The Secret Scripture. I started reading this new (to me) one on the bus back from town, and it looks promising, so this will be my next read - off to it in a minute!

I occasionally find really good books in that shop, buried among the dross. Brand new, usually hardbacks, publishers' remainders. Worth a look!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 March 2017 at 12:10PM
    32542395853_d50feeaaf8_m.jpg51zfQ0b4fSL._AC_US218_ by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr

Just started this. It is certainly different; the character, long dead but returned (?), is talking to herself about a painting she did.

"How to be both is a novel all about art's versatility. Borrowing from painting's fresco technique to make an original literary double-take, it's a fast-moving genre-bending conversation between forms, times, truths and fictions. There's a renaissance artist of the 1460s. There's the child of a child of the 1960s. Two tales of love and injustice twist into a singular yarn where time gets timeless, structural gets playful, knowing gets mysterious, fictional gets real - and all life's givens get given a second chance."
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    our new book in my book club for next month is

joanna-trollope-city-of-friends_2.PNG?ext=.png

also for the fast readers

4627425830.png?w=584

Enjoyed our last group book Baby Doll by Hollie Overton and we also added the Widow by Fiona Barton which I havent got round to yet but others in the group say it was really good :)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    greentiger wrote: »
    32542395853_d50feeaaf8_m.jpg
    I saw this in a chazzer last week... it resisted. I'll P'in it if you recommend it, though?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    can I join please?
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Of course, you can, old tractor!

I didn't know Poundland sold books, Winchelsea. I'll have to have a look.

I enjoyed The Essex Serpent, but wouldn't call it a fast read, there's a lot in it, mostly allegorical.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    oldtractor wrote: »
    can I join please?
    Lol if you can fit it in between all the carrot-munching! ;)

I once bought a Hanif Qureshi from Poundland: its rare that they access good quality authors (lots of D-list autobiographies etc) but worth keeping an eye on. The Essex Serpent sounds right up my street! P'inned.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    i have just finished reading The Soulmate by Debby Holt which was easy reading. I enjoyed it. It is about searching for love in the modern world with parallel stories of a Father and his daughter in their search for 'The One' :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure