Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension??

Comments

• hullvon
    hullvon Posts: 15 Forumite
    hi im not sure if in on the correct thread here but my husband as asked me to ask if he would be due any pension he served from may 1972 until july 1976 in the royal navy [able seamen] he is currently extremely disabled [amputee] he is now 58 [59 in july] any help would be much appreciated
    many thanks
  • Hello, I am an ex squaddy who served 12 years and left in 1976. I was not made aware of the changes to pensions which were changed in 1975.To cut a long story short, a veterans administrator visited my home, filled out the paperwork for me (I get confused) About a month or so later I got a letter telling me that I was awarded back pay from the age of sixty (£23,000) and a monthly payment of £250. I urge anyone who fits the criteria, I.E. you served for at least five years, were over 26 years of age when you left, to contact the email address as listed on a previous post.
  • cart583
    cart583 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Hi, I served in wrac from Jan 77 to Oct 80. I know the serving years required was dropped to 2 in 1988 and age requirement dropped altogether so thought I would be due to something. Rang the pensions office but was told no because I wasn't serving when the rules changed in 88.
  • mr1234
    mr1234 Posts: 69
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I served in the Royal Navy from Nov 71 to Aug 76. Rang to see if I was entitled to a pension as I turn 60 in August and was told that because I joined at 16 I didn't qualify and that the 2yr service rule doesn't apply if you served before 1988. :(
  • Hello, I'm trying to clarify something, 10 years army service leaving in 1972 means no pension? Has the government position changed? I can only find info 5/6 years old

Many thanks

Ross
  • Hi all could you please help. I served in the army from 28th April 1980 to 27th April 1986 serving 6 years service. I was only 25 years and 4 months old on leaving the services but was on reserve for 3 years after. Would me coming out before my 26th birthday stop me from getting a pension. I am now in receipt of personal independence payment as I am disabled and need care. I was hoping if I am entitled to any pension I could get it early to give me a better quality of life. Any help pull be gratefully received My personal number is 07562365751 or 01942512890
  • Hi
    I served in the wraf 1974 to 1983, from what I have read in some forums would I be entitled to a pension, if so when? I am nearly 61 and nothing has been forthcoming so far

I hope someone spots this and can steer me in the right direction

Many thanks
    teleg
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 23 February 2016 at 10:23AM
    teleg wrote: »
    Hi
    I served in the wraf 1974 to 1983, from what I have read in some forums would I be entitled to a pension, if so when? I am nearly 61 and nothing has been forthcoming so far

I hope someone spots this and can steer me in the right direction

Many thanks
    teleg
    You should be entitled as you seem to tick all the boxes.
    Prior to 6 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the armed forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (officers) or 22 years from age 18 (other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.
    The rules changed on 6 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be deferred for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 31 March 1978 the age criterion was dropped and on 6 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years. Deferred pensions have to be claimed at age 60
    You have to claim it so give them a call.

Veterans UK
    Pension Division
    Mail Point 480
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    Glasgow, G2 8EX
    0800 085 3600
  • I certainly will, many thanks for the info!

teleg
  • spider125
    spider125 Posts: 118 Forumite
    My hubby served 77-77 and left aged23 ??? He is 61 now does he qualify for pension? I enquired about 4 years ago to be told no ?? Confused reading this thread 😳
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback