Descriptor F (8 points): Cannot prepare and cook food

Comments

• minimad1970
    minimad1970 Posts: 6,157
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    If you use a perching stool as a consequence of your disability / illness then 2 points should have been scored.

However if you use a perching stool out of convenience, 0 points is correct.

Did you explain the need for an aid (such as a perching stool) on your PIP2 / AR form?

Yes I explained it was due to disability on my form and at the assessment. I'm waiting for a date for my tribunal, it's only been 4 months so probably still a while to wait. They also ignored the fact that I have to use an electric tablet dispenser and that I can't get in or out of the bath without help. I scored 0 points.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,921
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 November 2019 at 10:02PM
    Yes I explained it was due to disability on my form and at the assessment. I'm waiting for a date for my tribunal, it's only been 4 months so probably still a while to wait. They also ignored the fact that I have to use an electric tablet dispenser and that I can't get in or out of the bath without help. I scored 0 points.

Then put that on your submission to the tribunal.

The tablet dispenser (as an aid) is 1 point.

Needing help to get in / out of the bath is potentially 3 points.

If you scored 0 points and all the above points are awarded at tribunal, where are the additional 2 points to get you up to 8 points and a standard DL award?

Dressing and undressing?
    Needing a rail to get on / off the toilet safely?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • minimad1970
    Forumite
    Thanks Alice. In theory I should score 4 points in the Engaging with other people face to face section.
  • minimad1970
    Forumite
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    Needing a rail to get on / off the toilet safely?

I haven't got a rail but the toilet is right next to the bath and I use the handle on there to get up.

Sorry 50Twuncle for hijacking your thread :o
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,846
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you need assistance to get in and out of the bath then you need to explain why an aid would not be any help to you here. Telling them you need assistance is not enough.

You need to tell them what happened the last time you attempted that activity using an aid. If they think you can complete the activity with an aid, then you'll score points for this and not for needing assistance.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    This^^^

My son cannot cook at all. He has a severe learning disability and also physical disabilities. He cannot open some packaging or use a tin opener, follow a recipe, use a timer (or tell the time), identify whether food is properly cooked, lift a pan or a kettle, chop veg safely, etc.

He didn't score the full eight points for this descriptor.

I'm sorry but that's disgusting! I did score all 8 for this because of my seizures on my first go at PIP, second time round I scored 8 at assessment but at MR had points from this descriptor reduced on the basis of I could close lids tightly (someone obviously doesn't know how microwaves work) and I couldn't be bothered arguing as I'd got my standard daily living back via points elsewhere.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    How about :

Daily Living
    1) Perching stool for washing / Shower Seat
    As an aid for washing (2 points)

2) Long handled Shoe horn for getting shoes on
    As a dressing aid (2 points)

3) Shoes with Velcro fastenings 6B
    I can’t handle shoelace knots.

4) Washbasin grab for getting on/off toilet and into /out of the bath for showering
    Used as a grab rail for safety (2 points)

5) Computer/laptop/tablet/phone for communications
    Because my speech is virtually non-existent, especially when stressed
    These allow me to interact with the outside world

6) Wife to prompt gaps in communications / social engagement 7c
    Helping to prompt (2 points)

7) Pill reminder box for Codeine, Atenolol, Loperamide and Tamsulosin.
    Poor memory – will forget otherwise

8) Rubber shower / bath mat.
    I did fall once without it !

9) Long handled sponge
    For reaching parts of my body that a more able person could wash with no difficulty

Mobility
    Wheelchair
    Used for going out ANYWHERE – Pushed by my wife

Mobility Scooter
    Used outdoors for all distances that my wife should not be expected to push me
  • 50Twuncle
    Forumite
    Has anyone got the latest stats of the number of PIP claimants found to be entitled to 12 points mobility
    because, from what I can make of the rules - it is virtually impossible

I, for example - cannot truthfully say that I cannot walk/crawl 20metres, 20 metres is pointless - who set this distance ?
    It should be 100 metres !
    The "Planning and following journeys" bit is even worse - it asks whether a claimant is able to follow instructions - rather than mobilise themselves !
  • 50Twuncle
    Forumite
    I think that I can answer that myself :

Currently, the Motability scheme has more than 650,000 customers - and assuming that half of those entitled to max mobility - use it for a car - that means that roughly 1 million PIP claimants receive 12 points on mobility
    THAT IS ASTONISHING !
  • 50Twuncle
    Forumite
    edited 4 November 2019 at 3:57PM
    I have found a "specimen PIP1 form" at :

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/713113/pip1-claim-form.pdf

This appears to be lacking any questions on ability to do "ANYTHING" - What is a PIP 1 form supposed to be for ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure