Commutation of Army Pension - Is it worth it?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 June 2012 at 12:26PM
    Thanks for the replies, you've cleared that up for me. Even without paying NI I'm inclined to take the money and run. As previous threads have said, it's a long wait til 55 and anything could happen!
    Look on commutation as a loan, work out how much it is going to cost in reduced pension and how you can make that "loan" work for you. This "loan" comes with "insurance" in that if you die or are disabled it will be effectively written off and your pension or dependants pension will be paid at the full appropriate rate. Below is a link to a post I made in this thread back in 2008 :eek:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=11845437&postcount=14
  • Hey thanks molerat! Lots to think about before submitting the pension request. I will do the figures again, now that I don't need to consider NI. Really appreciate the help
  • Hi Guys,
    I left the Army in 1993 in the last phase of options for change. My question is how much will my pension be when I turn 55 this year? I have no idea and having lived abroad since then I am a little out of touch. I have received pension of £3146.16 a year since 1993. I took a lump sum of £69800 at the time. I have read here that some people are saying that the figure is twice the amount eg £6292. That cant be correct because at the time I was told that if I did not take the lump sum I would get £600+ a month. Does anyone have an idea what I should get?
  • molerat
    edited 10 January 2014 at 7:17PM
    Your full pension, i.e the amount before the commutation, is increased by inflation each year. You have had 20 years worth of inflation. To me the figure of £600 pm (£7200 pa) does not really tally with the £3146 pa you have been receiving. You need the figure for your uncommuted pension to be able to work out the new value. Multiply that by 1.78 which will give you the approx inflation lift from 1993 to 2014.
  • Thanks for that. Is there anyway to establish what my pension might have been if I had not taken the lump sum based on the figures I gave. The paperwork I got at the time has long since vanished. What percentage of the pension was the maximum that could be commuted at that time, I cant remember. If I knew that it would be simple to work out what I would have received and then I could muliply by the 1.78 that you recommended.

Thank you again

P.S. As you can see, I was definitely not in the Pay Corp :)
  • molerat
    edited 11 January 2014 at 11:57AM
    I can't remember all the figures but my pension was reduced by £1224 pa, app 21%, and I took around £9k in cash. Is your £3146 gross or net of tax ? A ballpark figure based on my own circumstances would be 2.25 times your gross commuted pension so if the £3146 is gross then your new pension will be about £7100.

SPVA may be able to help with the figures
    SPVA Pensions Division
    Mail Point 480
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    Glasgow, G2 8EX
    Tel: 0800 085 3600
  • Thanks again. Is that figure of 7100 inclusive of the annual increases? Is that the rough figure before the index linked increases since 1993?
  • molerat
    edited 20 January 2014 at 3:43PM
    That is my rough calculation of what you will actually receive as of Apr14 taking into account inflation increases and based on my own pension increases since 1994. Without the actual figure for your uncommuted pension at discharge it is only guesswork as discharge age makes a difference to the amount and cost of commutation but I would be surprised if I was very far out. I have done these calculations for a few friends but they were all discharged at the 22yr/age 40 point so tied in with my own. Again contacting the above should be able to give you the amount to expect.
  • Hiya. Without being too nosy may I ask what a WO1 22 Year pension is annually without commutation and the likely figure at aged 55. I left in 06 as WO1 but have no idea as I commuted max. Grateful for any help. Oh Im aware of the 15 x CPI RPI malarkey but just wanted 2 ballpark figures. Thanks
  • You can get a rough idea from the pensions calculator and if you are ex serving by writing to the contacts on the link. Everything you need should be there.
    It isn't letting me post the link but Google armed forces pension calculator and the address you require is a .gov one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure