Economy Energy, who are they?

1151617181921»

Comments

• Perhaps I should clarify. It took me some time to find my own profile. I must have filled that in many years ago. The situation is that I do have a law degree, but I do not work in the legal profession, i.e. I am not a solicitor, or paralegal or similar. I am an engineer but I am involved in a substantial amount of contract work involving the law.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • Hi Sterlingtimes, my 89 year old mother is in the same boat as you, following my switch to Economy Energy's "fixed" tariff back in June. According to the original email from them, it's due to remain fixed until 1/6/2019 but she's received an email advising her that there was a mistake made and that the price will be going up in October.
    I see from the comments above that MSE (I used their cheap energy club to switch by the way) has been told that the fixed price will be honored, but I cannot find anywhere on this site where that has been confirmed. Is this the case and at what stage are you in relation to your complaint, as I'm about to file a complaint with EE too.
  • David_Ray wrote: »
    Hi Sterlingtimes, my 89 year old mother is in the same boat as you, following my switch to Economy Energy's "fixed" tariff back in June. According to the original email from them, it's due to remain fixed until 1/6/2019 but she's received an email advising her that there was a mistake made and that the price will be going up in October.
    I see from the comments above that MSE (I used their cheap energy club to switch by the way) has been told that the fixed price will be honored, but I cannot find anywhere on this site where that has been confirmed. Is this the case and at what stage are you in relation to your complaint, as I'm about to file a complaint with EE too.

Hello, David. A number of posters are getting positive responses in various forms. I have gone down formal complaint route but have not yet received a resonse. My complaint has four working days to run after today.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • timdf911
    timdf911 Posts: 35 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2018 at 10:31AM
    I started a formal complaint process yesterday regarding outstanding refund for gas (£768.47) and elec (£20 ish).

I left on July 26th and final gas bill was produced on 7th Sept.

They replied to my complaint in less than 24 hours and promised the gas payment has been 'sent off for payment' but allow 28 days !!

I replied I wanted proof from payments that my refund really is in progress as I suspect that 28 days will pass with nothing happening.

I expressed my concern that EE may go bust before I receive my refund and will therefore keep the pressure on.

Here is what they said

"Our refunds department have a high volume of refunds to get through at the moment so the time period of receiving a refund is 28 working days it wont be any earlier. Is there anything else that i can help with?"

So what does that mean ? At least 28 days or some indeterminate time longer ?

They seem quick enough to chase and demand when they are owed £££ but its like getting blood out of a stone the other way round.
  • Hi Sterlingtimes. I phoned them today and they have confirmed that they will be honouring the fixed term agreement.
    Happy days!!
  • David_Ray wrote: »
    Hi Sterlingtimes. I phoned them today and they have confirmed that they will be honouring the fixed term agreement.
    Happy days!!

Let's hope they do as promised - but sadly based on past performance I wouldn't count on it.
  • LyndonStoke
    LyndonStoke Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 7 November 2018 at 6:50PM
    I also am in a situation whereby Economy Energy (EE) have failed and still fail to pay back money owed to myself following over payment on my direct debit.
    I was an electricity customer of EE for 1 year. I moved supplier on 1st Aug 2018. My account was £32 in credit. Within the 1st month of leaving (Aug 18) them I made 3 phone attempts to their so called customer services dept. to obtain a refund. This proved fruitless as all they would tell was that "there was a back log of refunds to be made and no date could be supplied for payment to be made" or I was told "the money will be in my account within 15 working days".
    I reported my situation to the ombudsman via the ombudsman web site, after 28 days they found in my favour stating that I would receive my monies and a letter of apology within 28 days.
    In Oct 18 I received a letter from EE informing myself that a refund would be made within 15 working days. That period ran out on 3rd Nov 18 without payment being made :(
    I again contacted EE to be informed by their CS dept. that they have no time period in the procedures for refunds of monies owed!!!!!
    Whilst £32 may not sound a lot of money, due to circumstances it is to me and besides, it is my money. I feel like I am being robbed. I cannot afford £80 to go to small claims court to chase such a relatively small sum.
    I find EE's procedures and their response to customer or ex customer disgusting and I would never recommend them to anyone I know.
    I do not know how to get my money back and I fear I won't get it back!
  • MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Came on here to grumble about the lack of refund of my credit balance but see I'm not alone.

My gas supply switched away in August. I contacted them asking for a refund but was told I had to wait for my final bill to be produced. I assumed this would be generated automatically on leaving, but it seems they stick to their quarterly cycle and it didn't come through until 17 October. I immediately asked for a refund of my £156 but was told they take 28 days to process refunds.

I got in touch today after 21 days just to check that everything was in process to receive my refund next week to be told there is a backlog and they can't give a definite timeframe.

28 days was bad enough - how can it take longer than this?? Surely the process is automated? I left them 3 months ago...

Is there any sort of standard they are obliged to work to?

The most annoying thing is they put my direct debit up and I called them to say it was too high and that I would generate an unnecessary credit and they didn't reduce it.
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure