MSE News: Waitrose to get rid of disposable cups - if you're a MyWaitrose customer, you'll need to b

Comments

• MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Have a MyWaitrose card - I don't get the freebie coffee. If my mother is with me she nudges me to ask for it, for her. Not that she wants the coffee, it's just because it's free. So embarrassing. I'm not going to buy a travel mug and tote it around, on the offchance that she and I end up in Waitrose. Win for me.

I have ASDA and Ocado deliveries once or twice a month. Always look at offers. Use Sainsbury's for a few own-brand favourites and veg. ASDA doesn't have a big enough veg range. Ocado does but can be too expensive. Our Tesco is dire, next town is OK but I don't rate their products or prices. We don't have an Aldi but I have bought online. Use Lidl less often now but still go there for favourites. Used to use Iceland for all my fish and seafood but turning up 5 hours late is taking the P. Morrisons is OK if you avoid the stinky fish.

I'll go anywhere to find a good bargain and stock up. We're not snobs. We have the money to do dinner parties and my parents did, but to me it's too pretentious. If I did them I'd be quite happy to serve up food from Lidl though.

The one thing I really DO notice about shopping in Waitrose as opposed to ASDA, Tesco, Sainsbury's etc is that there aren't kids screaming and running about playing football or skateboarding. Less junk food too. Nearest ASDA has two aisles of crisps, local Waitrose only 1/4 of an aisle. Nearest ASDA has very few actual cuts of meat other than chops,steaks, sausages and bacon, as well.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Have a MyWaitrose card - I don't get the freebie coffee. If my mother is with me she nudges me to ask for it, for her. Not that she wants the coffee, it's just because it's free. So embarrassing. I'm not going to buy a travel mug and tote it around, on the offchance that she and I end up in Waitrose. Win for me.
    Get mother to buy and carry a travel mug then.... :) Or do as I have seen some people do - claim a free tea but not bother with the hot water - just popping a teabag in their handbag for later!

I asked at my most-used Waitrose and they said they would be getting rid of cups in September. Makes little difference as the time I'm most likely to go there is on the way to work and I will have a re-usable cup in my work bag. No sign of a voucher or anything though.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Not had disposable cups available in my Waitrose since about April.

As I don't go around with a reusable because I don't frequent coffee shops, I have not had a coffee there for over 4 months.

Since they have also removed thier 20% mycard offer I haven't physically been in the shop for the last 2 months.

So thier cost saving and war against disposable cups has cost them my custom.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    One thing to watch out for, as I discovered earlier, is that the cost of a latte, etc. has been reduced from £2.35 to £2,10 as a 'reward' for getting rid of the disposal cups. Given that I don't know of anyone who would pay for a Waitrose coffee, I'm not sure how much of an additional reward this is. As I didn't know about this, my shopping that I thought would come to £10.05, so that I qualified for the free paper, only came to £9.80, meaning I had to scramble to find something else to go over the £10.

I know that I shouldn't be ungrateful (and I do appreciate the ability to get a free coffee and paper), but all this change means is that I now have to spend more than before to qualify for the free paper, so not exactly a reward at all and the opposite in fact! I am sure this is deliberate, so describing it in positive terms is more than a little disingenuous to my mind.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 636 Forumite
    Spidernick wrote: »
    One thing to watch out for, as I discovered earlier, is that the cost of a latte, etc. has been reduced from £2.35 to £2,10 as a 'reward' for getting rid of the disposal cups. Given that I don't know of anyone who would pay for a Waitrose coffee, I'm not sure how much of an additional reward this is.

You'd be surprised how many people do pay for the coffee - often someone in front of me in the queue will say they've left their myWaitrose card at home but they still want one, or a couple shopping will pay for one and get the other free.
  • mon37
    mon37 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Does anyone know when do they actually stop giving their disposal cups? Email they sent to my waitrose members stated that the will start getting rid of the cups from 30 July but in my local they still provide them if you haven't brought your own cup.
  • pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 636 Forumite
    Lots of stores have already removed them - probably they are just using up the stock of cups that is already in your local store.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    mine removed them a month ago
  • mon37
    mon37 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Finally, they stopped giving out their disposal cups. Does anyone know how this should work from now on? Make a purchase and tell them you want a coffee? Otherwise anyone can just walk in the shop with their own cup to get a free coffee!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    mon37 wrote: »
    Finally, they stopped giving out their disposal cups. Does anyone know how this should work from now on? Make a purchase and tell them you want a coffee? Otherwise anyone can just walk in the shop with their own cup to get a free coffee!

"We are still delighted to offer you a free hot drink whenever you shop with us. All we ask is that you bring in your own reusable cup and swipe your myWaitrose card at the checkout, each time you visit."

Anybody can indeed just walk in with a cup for a free coffee - but then again they could walk in and steal a sandwich. More likely to get caught, yes, but both are just straight theft.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure