Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 29,608Posts
    • 170,441Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Retired August 2016
Page 37
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 15th Apr 18, 2:00 PM
    • 4,874 Posts
    • 27,712 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Argh, bleeping genealogy can really take over your life I meant to replace my mum's very blurry photographs with nice sharp online ones, for a little parish church in Northamptonshire. Trouble is, I disappeared into actual research and now I have to email the church well, not the building, I won't do that I'm sure they have a pic on their website of my great-great-grandfather, and his mother was the postmistress, and they definitely have a low-res photo of the post office

Stopping now ... food, garden, anything else but the laptop!
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    I know how genealogy can take over your life. Been there, done that. The trouble is that it's all so fascinating, relevant or not. I had the habit of straying off the main family path to find out more about the very distant relatives who had very little bearing on my own line. I chose them often for nothing more than they had an interesting and unusual name. One thing led to another and before I knew it I was deeply engrossed people whose lives were totally peripheral to the ancestors that I was trying to track.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 15-04-2018 at 2:03 PM.
    Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9129. Under £10K at long last.
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 15th Apr 18, 2:11 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 14,443 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Oh dear - now you ladies have me thinking about chocolate covered bacon!

(...yes it is really a 'thing' over the pond...)
    1 YEAR & 9 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    STILL - Juggling the pots to keep in the black! - NOT an easy task!
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 10,727 Thanks
    themadvix
    Genealogy is just endlessly fascinating - there's always someone new to investigate, a problem to solve or history to learn

I'll have to pass on the info about the chocolate covered bacon to my DH RT - he is a fan of such combinations... chocolate covered sausage rolls were a particular favourite!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £2557
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Jul 2018: £91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Apr 18, 10:16 AM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,441 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I know how genealogy can take over your life. Been there, done that. The trouble is that it's all so fascinating, relevant or not. I had the habit of straying off the main family path to find out more about the very distant relatives who had very little bearing on my own line. I chose them often for nothing more than they had an interesting and unusual name. One thing led to another and before I knew it I was deeply engrossed people whose lives were totally peripheral to the ancestors that I was trying to track.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Yes! We had seemingly apocryphal tales about a distant rellie marrying somebody rich, and sending pretty toddler clothes back to this country, and we have a photo of my mum dressed up in the toddler clothes. Turns out it was true! Millionaires in the south of France, Agatha Christie, the last deb season before the war, 1920s-1940s, the whole bit - but absolutely nothing to do with the Irish immigrants who are my *actual* ancestors

Oh dear - now you ladies have me thinking about chocolate covered bacon!

(...yes it is really a 'thing' over the pond...)
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Good lord, RT I wonder if I can fry quorn "chicken chunks" and dip them Quorn bacon is nasty, so I couldn't do it with that

Genealogy is just endlessly fascinating - there's always someone new to investigate, a problem to solve or history to learn
    Originally posted by themadvix
    There really is .... I have to get to grips with my habit of diving in and not coming up for breath!

I'll have to pass on the info about the chocolate covered bacon to my DH RT - he is a fan of such combinations... chocolate covered sausage rolls were a particular favourite!
    What have we done!

**wrings hands helplessly**

**helpless with laughter, that is **

Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,441 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Right, before I wander about on mse for a bit, I want to post a bit of a to-do list:
    - dishwasher (its on already)
    - washing machine (a line drying day!)
    - phone bruv, he was lurgified last week.
    - back up computer (after all that computer work, oops.
    - fetch my Amazon shopping from the collection point.
    - gardening - and uh oh, the ordinary weeds are marching, as well as brambles.
    - open the post
    - pay a few bills
    - and a huge great frog phone the builder - my garden gate doesn't bolt any more, after installation less than 6 months ago.

Hiding on the mse forum for a bit, though.
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 16th Apr 18, 10:25 AM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 60,060 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I dodged that particular frog. Our builder wasn't the best at fitting gates and the (cheap) handle he fitted sheared off after a few months.

I removed it and will ask FIL to help replace it. I also added a sturdy bolt, which has also been replaced (very windy in our neck of the woods). Is your gate wood? Unfortunately natural materials seem to misbehave, shrinking and swelling etc. When I replaced our bolt, I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Nothing had changed visibly (all screws and planks still intact and as expected), but it just didn't fit any more! When I added the new one, I allowed for a bit more wiggle room, but I fully expect it to die in another few years
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,441 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi Ed! Yes, my gate and fence are solid wood - the handle and latch are also misbehaving, as you say I think its a cheap fitting and something's a bit broken inside. I keep a table knife hidden in the front garden now, so I can use it to lever the handle open

The bolt just isn't getting to the metal semicircle, getting "home", if you like - its gradually shaving wood off the fence post.

After what you've said, though - I'll have a look at it now. Wiggle, push, pull, that sort of thing
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 16th Apr 18, 11:07 AM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 60,060 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Probably not an option KC, but my go to for any misbehaving wooden thing is to check alignment of all pieces and tighten any loose screws/bolts (with a drill driver to save time).
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,441 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Yikes, no, not an option Ed, sorry - but everything seems tight - I think the door may have just sagged a bit ... phone call is still to do, it's a mighty frog, might as well be a shark

- dishwasher (its on already)
    Yes, all done!

- washing machine (a line drying day!)
    Out on the line - I may even wash some bedding, though currently no line space

- phone bruv, he was lurgified last week. - back up computer (after all that computer work, oops.
    - fetch my Amazon shopping from the collection point.
    - gardening - and uh oh, the ordinary weeds are marching, as well as brambles.
    All of these for later on.

- open the post
    done - I knew what there was

- pay a few bills
    paid 2 of 3. The third was the one with the potential late payment. I've phoned, they agreed to waive it, which is nice, and they really don't need to do that, but I've realised it has the cruise tickets payment on - so I've transferred some money to my current account, it needs to get there before I can pay the bill.

- and a huge great frog phone the builder - my garden gate doesn't bolt any more, after installation less than 6 months ago.
    Not yet. Don't know if I'm going to do this one today ....

Cuppa tea, then off out into the garden, I think. Ginger cat has deigned to sit at the bottom of the garden, sunning himself
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 16th Apr 18, 2:03 PM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 60,060 Thanks
    edinburgher
    We saw one of our favourite cats the other day - a big puffy gentle giant of a ginger Tom who sits on car roofs in the middle of a street in Glasgow. It always makes our day to see him and DD was beside herself with excitement
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Apr 18, 4:41 PM
    • 56,270 Posts
    • 227,688 Thanks
    beanielou
    Love the sound of the big ginger cat sitting on the car roofs~~as long as its not mine

I have the same garden gate malarky.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Apr 18, 5:11 PM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,441 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Ed, thats adorable! Cats are very toddler-sized-friendly, aren't they, and a surprising number actually tolerate stroking from toddlers/little children.

Of further jobs: collected my Amazon parcels, its an easy routine now, and did almost an hour in the garden, digging up brambles and baby cherry laurels. Weeding on that side of the garden is starting to merge, which makes things a lot better looking. Unfortunately, this particular bit *really* smells of cat pee, there's no two ways about it. My fault (not that I'm a cat!) it's just that it's an area I haven't paid attention to for maybe 3 years.

Because I phoned the the credit card people (successfully) I'm letting myself off the builder phone call - I'll do that Wednesday, I'm off out to play tomorrow
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Apr 18, 7:02 PM
    • 56,270 Posts
    • 227,688 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a lovely day out to play

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Apr 18, 9:00 PM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,441 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks! Will do - back on Weds after a Victoria and Albert Museum visit
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Apr 18, 9:04 PM
    • 56,270 Posts
    • 227,688 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy the V & A

***Keep plodding***
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 16th Apr 18, 9:49 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 14,443 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ooooo - a trip to the big smoke! - enjoy yourself!!!
    1 YEAR & 9 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    STILL - Juggling the pots to keep in the black! - NOT an easy task!
    • greent
    • By greent 17th Apr 18, 8:13 PM
    • 7,242 Posts
    • 73,579 Thanks
    greent
    Hope you've had a fab time today at the V&A x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £3290.25/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £614.82/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Apr 18, 10:32 AM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,441 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Morning! The trip was brilliant, thank you - the Ocean Liners Exhibition. It was fascinating in terms of what we're *about* to see, and our history - not only coming from Liverpool, which was a big cruising port back in the day, but also they had some things from the Uganda, which was the ship I was on for my school cruise though there was nothing flash about the ship by then.

We also went to part of the free areas, and to my shame, there's loads of the V&A I've simply never seen we saw the fashion exhibition, which was fantastic. Its really easy for us to get to, so I'll be doing more.

I had a very posh train on the way back home, that was super fast made it all much easier, but we were *really* tired ... age catches up with one, dontcha know
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Apr 18, 10:37 AM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,441 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Today - not much sleep, but enough. Determined to start having a bit more fun, now the weather's better - I have a list of stuff - couple of holidays, yes, local events like U3A, day trips out, just got to take advantage of doing more: the point of life is not to have your stuff in order, that only *serves* your life.

Still, I'm cracking on, as we might go to the beach tomorrow so this is another "house admin" day.
    Retired August 2016
    • greent
    • By greent 18th Apr 18, 10:44 AM
    • 7,242 Posts
    • 73,579 Thanks
    greent
    Today - not much sleep, but enough. Determined to start having a bit more fun, now the weather's better - I have a list of stuff - couple of holidays, yes, local events like U3A, day trips out, just got to take advantage of doing more: the point of life is not to have your stuff in order, that only *serves* your life.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Yep - life is for living. (Although less stuff and having it in order means more time) Definitely enjoy life (although don't over do it xx)

Still, I'm cracking on, as we might go to the beach tomorrow so this is another "house admin" day.
    Whoop! More fun times! - great to hear this, Kc x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £3290.25/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £614.82/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,031Posts Today

8,683Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin