New Xbox out by the end of the year

Comments

• donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    almillar wrote: »
    It was. And my point is that, just like with 1080, which you seem to think IS worthwhile, you WON'T see an improvement with 4K, unless the source material is good enough. There is a massive improvement (4 times as many pixels) in 4K, same as with 1080 being 4x as many pixels as SD. But if the detail isn't there to fill it, you won't notice a difference. My point being that you are judging it unfairly unless you put something good through it.

What I have seen is a variety of films via the sky q box. Some old classics, some modern films.i am yet to think to myself, that looks better than 1080p.

I'm still not quite convinced that you're actually watching stuff in 4K. Was it a 2TB Sky Q box? Was everything set up right? Was the film downloaded in 4K?
    I know what it gives technically but ultimately it's success depends on people being wowed as well as price.
    Yes it was on a sky q silver box 4k is only available on them. In the sky cinema section they have a 4k section where all movies are 4k or at least that's what they claim. There is a mix of modern films and old classics on there.
  • donnajunkie
    Just remembered I saw some football in 4k and there was more of a noticeable difference with that than movies I have seen.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Physical media sales in general are in decline as people favour streaming which is on the rise, 4K blu-ray is never going to a big success in that declining market but in time the blu-ray market will mainly be the domain of collectors and AV enthusiasts. I rarely met anyone who was bothered about 3D but friends who are AV enthusiasts have already started their 4K blu-ray collections.

4k video and 4k games are different though, films will generally have been mastered at a higher resolution (even old 35mm prints) and then shrunk down to 1080p to fit on a blu-ray. Games on the other hand are rendered at 720/1080p or whatever resolution in between and the 3D rendered objects will have noticeable aliasing and similar giving jaggy, crawling lines. Bumping up the resolution smooths that out and makes for a much cleaner image whereas on many films the jump to 720p to 1080p isn't as noticeable nor is going beyond that.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It is based on it appearing to not offer a big enough noticeable difference in quality and costing even more than 3d and 3d costs more than the standard blurays. Many people still just have DVD because they don't want to pay extra even for standard bluray never mind 3d or 4k. What manufacturers would need to do is force people onto 4k by ending older formats the way they did to move people from vhs to DVD. They stopped releasing movies on vhs and largely ended vhs recorder manufacture quite quickly. Compared to that DVD players are still widespread many years after bluray arrived and movies are still always released on DVD. I am curious why they haven't chosen to force people away from DVD.

VHS was around for a long long time before sales dropped that much that manufacturers stopped making the devices.

The same will happen here, however its much much too early in the cycle for that to happen. With DVD sales still strong they wont feel an urge.

There will be no concious decision to "force people away", it will be a commercial one - sales will get that low that its no longer profitable to make the hardware / market and sell the devices and discs.
  • motorguy
    Just remembered I saw some football in 4k and there was more of a noticeable difference with that than movies I have seen.

Yay! There we go!

Recorded in 4k, transmitted in 4k and viewed in 4k :beer:
  • motorguy
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    Physical media sales in general are in decline as people favour streaming which is on the rise, 4K blu-ray is never going to a big success in that declining market but in time the blu-ray market will mainly be the domain of collectors and AV enthusiasts. I rarely met anyone who was bothered about 3D but friends who are AV enthusiasts have already started their 4K blu-ray collections.

4k video and 4k games are different though, films will generally have been mastered at a higher resolution (even old 35mm prints) and then shrunk down to 1080p to fit on a blu-ray. Games on the other hand are rendered at 720/1080p or whatever resolution in between and the 3D rendered objects will have noticeable aliasing and similar giving jaggy, crawling lines. Bumping up the resolution smooths that out and makes for a much cleaner image whereas on many films the jump to 720p to 1080p isn't as noticeable nor is going beyond that.

Agreed. There will always be people who want the physical item, and i think thats much larger with movies than say, with music.

Where there is a better format, enthusiasts will gravitate towards it.
  • donnajunkie
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »

Haven't Microsoft claimed some games will be 4k native for the updated console.
  • donnajunkie
    motorguy wrote: »
    VHS was around for a long long time before sales dropped that much that manufacturers stopped making the devices.

The same will happen here, however its much much too early in the cycle for that to happen. With DVD sales still strong they wont feel an urge.

There will be no concious decision to "force people away", it will be a commercial one - sales will get that low that its no longer profitable to make the hardware / market and sell the devices and discs.

Bluray has been around for about 10 years. Were movies still released on vhs widespread 10 years after DVD came about? I believe DVD is still around because most people have stayed with it and companies haven't attempted to force people across by reducing DVD releases. Companies want the latest thing to succeed so do usually try to force people across. For some reason they have been too scared to with DVD to bluray.
  • donnajunkie
    Yay! There we go!

Recorded in 4k, transmitted in 4k and viewed in 4k :beer:

Well I am being fair here. It does need to have the wow factor in other areas too. It needs to come down in price too. Some of the TVs have, don't know about the players. The Blu-ray Discs haven't.
  • donnajunkie
    Agreed. There will always be people who want the physical item, and i think thats much larger with movies than say, with music.

Where there is a better format, enthusiasts will gravitate towards it.

I will never buy downloads whether that's music or film.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure