My Over 50's Spending Diary

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    chanie wrote: »
    We have been doing our main shop in Lidl for years now. When we started going, our local store was pretty quiet so we didnt mind going. Now, our local store is heaving, so we have to put up with car parks that you cant even get into, tiny aisles that are packed full of people and lots of items out of stock.

My point was proved today. We have been busy this weekend so I popped into Lidl to buy a few bits to see us in though the week and the shelves were empty. Very frustrating, but as it was 4pm (besting in mind Sunday trading laws) I just had to make do.
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Chanie, it must be so frustrating when items that you want are out of stock in your chosen Lidl. I would love to swap completely to Lidl but it is not practical for me as a non driver and they do not do deliveries. I go to either the one in Streatham when I am going to the cinema or I go to the one in Peckham as both are easy access for me by bus.
  • chanie
    Lidl are taking over the world, so it wont be long before your neighbours home is turned into a Lidl. Im being serious. I have 3 Lidls on one road and another two stores being built.

Have you tried, Aldi? There is one in Streatham (used to be Morrisons) and I would recommend giving it a go. Personally, I think that Aldi has a wider range of goods, but Lidl does some products really,really well.

Although Lidl was bare, we should be okay for food this week as we have recently stocked up in Iceland and Costco.
  • sugarbaby125
    Thanks for the information Chanie. I will pay a visit to the Aldi in Streatham soon and see what it has to offer me.
  • sugarbaby125
    3 hopper bus journeys £2.25 (5th Oct)

8 X After Eight Munchies X 2 from Poundland for £4 saved me £4 X 2 (6th Oct and 10th Oct)

Mr Kipling Mini Battenberg cakes from Poundland for 50p saved me 50p

2 X bags of salad from Morrisons on 2 for £1 offer saved me 40p

1p roadkill near the bus stop (6th Oct)

1 hopper bus journey 75p (8th Oct)

My Weekly Online Grocery Shopping special offers and price reductions saved me £15.31 :T

I used my Groupon Odeon voucher £5 to watch the film A Simple Favour again and saved myself £6:D

Free Metro newspaper 60p (11th Oct)

My younger daughter gave me £28 for doing her hair (12th Oct) added to my holiday savings :D

£2.50 Quidco Cashback (12th Oct) added to my holiday savings

I used my Groupon voucher for a 2 course meal for 2 people with a 15% discount cost me £17.81 which saved me £28.19 and my sister H paid for the drinks and the service charge £12.55 and we both had a really delicious lunch :T

My younger son gave me £4 (added to my holiday savings)

Current Total = £8629.10
  • sugarbaby125
    I got a PPI refund from a single payment of £6.44 I made for a policy on my J D Williams Account in 2011 that had been refunded a month later after I had complained that I did not want nor ask for PPI. I got a cheque today for £23.89 that I certainly was not expecting but I was so pleased to get :T

1 hopper bus journey 75p (12th Oct)

My sister H paid for my meal and drinks and my younger son's meal and drinks at Frankie & Benny's which saved me £58.72 :j:D:beer:

Current Total: £8712.46
  • chanie
    How are you doing Sugar?
  • Hi Chanie,

It is a difficult time for me with my daughter losing her job and that whole distressing incident with the Tesco delivery driver. :(

Thank you for taking the time to ask how I am doing Chanie, I really appreciate your concern. :)
  • 3 hopper bus journeys £2.25 (13th Oct)

My son M gave me £3 and my son L gave me £4 (13th Oct)

Free Metro newspaper 60p and Evening Standard 60p (15th Oct)

I got a free ticket to see the film 'Life Itself' at the Embankment Gardens Cinema which saved me £14 (15th Oct)

£5.22 Quidco Cashback (16th Oct)

I used my Odeon Premier points for my ticket to see the film Searching and saved myself £10 (17th Oct)

I got a free cup of tea at the Odeon Cinema worth £1.90 (I realised this week that they have changed the size of the cups but they still charge £1.90 for a tea)

2 hopper bus journeys £1.50 (15th Oct)

2 hopper bus journeys £1.50 (17th Oct)

Free Metro newspapers (16th,17th and 19th Oct) £1.80

Lidl Bargains:

Salt own crisps 6 X 25g 75p I saved 2p compared to buying Tesco own brand

2 X 30 Metres of Strong Kitchen Foil £1.99 compared to buying Tesco own brand for £3.40 each, which saved me £2.82

2 X Cien Herbal Bath Soak 750ml 59p each (£1.18) which saved me £1.82 compared to buying 3 X Radox herbal bath 500ml from Poundland

Fruit & Nut Milk Chocolate 200g £1.30 which saved me 20p compared to a 200g bar of Cadbury's Fruit & Nut on offer from Tesco for £1.50

Terry's Chocolate Orange 99p saved me 1p compared to Poundland

6 X Meaty crisps 25g 75p saved me 2p compared to Tesco own brand

Walkers Tear & Share Sticky BBQ Rib crisps 150g 99p saved me £1 compared to buying them from Tesco

200g Sweet and Salty Popcorn 79p which saved me £1.19 compared to buying Butterkist 2 X 100g popcorn at 99p each when they are on offer in Tesco

2 hopper bus journeys £1.50 (17th Oct)

2 800gsm bath mats from eBay for £12.98 including P & P and I used a 10% off code which saved me £1.40

I bought my elder son a completely reversible waterproof jacket form Littlewoods clearance via eBay which was reduced from £120 to £29.99 saving me £90.01 :j:D:T

Current Total = £8857.62
  • chanie
    I have been stocking up on chocolate oranges from Lidl, whilst they are 99p
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business