Local Authority caused damage to my property

I own an end of terraced property at the end of a row of council houses. The council have commissioned work on the properties next to mine and are replacing roofs within the area.

They have erected scaffolding in order to do this work, the end of the scaffolding is about 1 meter within my boundary and has been put on top of my porch roof.

I noticed the other morning that there appears to be a leak in my hallway. Directly below the end support of the scaffolding.

I have contacted the council and awaiting a response.

What else can I do?

Comments

• Is the scaffolding resting on the porch roof and even if it's not, can you see if there has been any damages caused when it was being erected?

If the leak isn't too bad and you can live with it for now that you should really wait until you hear back from the council.
    If however the leak is bad and is (or might) cause damage, it might be an idea to get someone in to look at it. (making sure that keep the invoice for any work and ask the roofing repair man to write a statement saying exactly what caused the problem).
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The scaffold is within your boundary?

Do you own the property? Were you notified of the works and the scaffold being erected on your property?
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Make sure you take photos from various angles and close ups of the scaffolding on the porch to help with your claim.
  • Is the scaffolding resting on the porch roof and even if it's not, can you see if there has been any damages caused when it was being erected?

If the leak isn't too bad and you can live with it for now that you should really wait until you hear back from the council.
    If however the leak is bad and is (or might) cause damage, it might be an idea to get someone in to look at it. (making sure that keep the invoice for any work and ask the roofing repair man to write a statement saying exactly what caused the problem).

I did try to upload a picture, but cant post links due to being a newbie. I wasnt aware of it being put up until after it was erected. At the moment it seems to be seeping, the water marks on the wall and ceiling are more like water spreading than a full on leak.

Do you own the property? Were you notified of the works and the scaffold being erected on your property?

Yes the scaffolding vertical support is about 1.5feet within my boundary, the over hang iis then about 1.5meters. Yes I own my property and no i received no request or notification regarding the works or the scaffolding.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Cocktail74 wrote: »
    I did try to upload a picture, but cant post links due to being a newbie.
    Just post a broken link and someone will fix it for you - after having first checked it is a genuine, non-dangerous link.
  • https:// ibb.co/h3NUbc

https:// ibb.co/iwFAhH

https:// ibb.co/keQsex
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!

Cocktail74 wrote: »
    I did try to upload a picture, but cant post links due to being a newbie. I wasnt aware of it being put up until after it was erected. At the moment it seems to be seeping, the water marks on the wall and ceiling are more like water spreading than a full on leak.

Yes the scaffolding vertical support is about 1.5feet within my boundary, the over hang iis then about 1.5meters. Yes I own my property and no i received no request or notification regarding the works or the scaffolding.
    ]]

as an ex council house its entirely possible they don't have to ask, it was on the deeds on my last house that they had access if and when required if for access to their properties
  • ]]as an ex council house its entirely possible they don't have to ask, it was on the deeds on my last house that they had access if and when required if for access to their properties

Thanks for your response, ive gone through the deeds and cant seem to find any reference to this. The only mention to easements refers to Part Two, which consists of one sentence stating "There is excepted and reserved out of this Conveyance ALL rights in respect of mines and minerals (other than coal).".

My main concern is the the damage caused, and the fact that the council haven't bothered contacting me yet to discuss the issue, I emailed them last Monday, called them Tuesday where they confirmed they received email. and sent a complaint on the Thursday as still no feedback. I get it was a short week, but the issue is there and its going to continue to allow water in until they do something, making any water damage worse.

Think another call is due on Monday for sure.
  • pmartin86
    pmartin86 Posts: 755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Obviously I'd keep on at the council and find out why they (or their contracted builder) decided to put scaffholding oon your property without even consulting you, but you have to admint, that roof is in poor condition and I think poputting ALL the blame on them is a bit of a push. Id be realistic in your expectations as there is clearly longstanding issues with ponding and what seems to be a significant depression thats been there for some time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure