Kent Reliance fraud investigation by the Co Op Bank

Have received two emails from the CoOp fraud team today asking me to contact them with what I have found out to be transactions involving Kent Reliance.

Webchat with the CoOp got me nowhere and a https message to Kent Reliance got the usual? daft we will respond in three days reply. :(

Anyone have anything similar?

Should I be worried about my savings with Kent Reliance or is this just a normal thing with the CoOp?
Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Don't faff about with webchat or secure message. Phone up the Co-op (with the telephone number from their website, not the mail) and ask to speak to the fraud department
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Have received two emails from the CoOp fraud team today asking me to contact them with what I have found out to be transactions involving Kent Reliance.

Are these real emails or scam emails?

Seems strange to use email for such an important issue. And sending them on a Sunday too.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • The webchat confirmed the fraud dept was trying to contact me. The first email headers looked fine, which is why I contacted the bank. The second headers looked dodgy, but a whois showed the domain is in fact owned by the CoOp.

I replied stating if it was genuine they would have my full contact details and access to secure web messaging.
  • Searching this site shows up a couple of similar posts where folk have, like me, started with a £1 test transaction then followed with larger amounts.

The test transactions were a few days ago, so maybe there is some sort of "pattern" they look for?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Is it just me or is there a massive difference between:

"I tried to transfer money from Co-Op to Kent Reliance (or the other way round) and the transaction is on hold until I validate it with the fraud team"

and

Kent Reliance fraud investigation by the Co Op Bank
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Searching this site shows up a couple of similar posts where folk have, like me, started with a £1 test transaction then followed with larger amounts.

The test transactions were a few days ago, so maybe there is some sort of "pattern" they look for?
    If I were a fraudster having stolen/cloned your card or found out your online credentials, I would probably do some nominal small transactions here and there to see if it worked and I could get away with it, before trying for big numbers. Starting with a big number out of the blue has more risk of being blocked and then it's game over - have to move on to the next victim.

So, a pattern of a £1 transfer here and there is something a fraud department might choose to look out for. As they probably assume that moving £1 to a new bank is not a common transaction among regular people going about their day to day lives, because most people don't find their secondary current or savings account exactly £1 short of the money needed to buy some particular good or service, so are unlikely to have a genuine need to electronically transfer a pound to another bank from day to day, especially an account to which they haven't transferred money before.

In your shoes I'd be glad they had flagged it up for investigation, you can just call them on a working day to resolve their query by telling them you were just 'testing' the process of doing a bank transfer.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I have had a Nationwide card locked after such low value transactions. On one occasion it was a quenuine transaction and the card was unlocked, the other was fraudulent so card cancelled.
  • It is not just you.
  • I've no problem with them flagging up transactions, but I do object to not being able to get the reason why from my bank.
  • I'd rather transactions were flagged than the hassle of getting money back if it went to the wrong place or the account turned out to be suspect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport