Should I report neighbour for fraud?

Comments

• No No and thrice NO
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    sevenhills wrote: »
    The OP is wanting to do the right thing, there is no harm in reporting something, so long as it is an honest report. The benefit Office will dismiss the report if it is irrelevant.
    Do the right thing when there's no evidence? The only thing the OP has is what the neighbour said and that's not evidence. Plenty of people claim PIP and have good days. Just because a person claims PIP doesn't mean they have to spend their life in bed.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I have anxiety, and have had depression recently, yet always do my hair and make-up, even during the dark times. It actually makes me feel better.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    How do you know the work is being done cash in hand?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Neighbour is in her mid 30s, and lives with her father. She claims carers allowance for him as he has arthritis and uses a stick. Neighbour in her 30s has anxiety and sometimes gets depression, but goes out on her own and seems fine, always got her hair and make up done.

Neighbour had PIP assessment (which she won) and both her and her father were bragging to me about the assessment, saying that she put on a big performance and could of won an oscar, she said she made herself cry and ran upstairs crying and shouting etc. Neighbour lied on forms and to the assessor and said she cant make herself food as she will walk off and forget about it, but she posts photos on facebook and tells me that shes been making biscuits/cake a roast dinner etc. They also do cash in hand work in a pub.

Despite claiming PIP neighbour is also looking for a part time job, but surely that contradicts her claiming PIP for anxiety and depression?

Should I report her?

For me there is nothing of concern about the neighbours PIP claim in either the first or third paragraphs. Indeed there is nothing to stop the neighbour working and claiming PIP. There is nothing amiss with having periods of anxiety and depression but still taking care of your appearance.
    Paragraph 2 is where all the alarm bells ring. The neighbour bragging about deceiving the assessor but nobody seems to think that's worthy of investigation. No wonder the benefits system is in crisis.
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    When I had my breakdown, doing my hair and make up was a way for me to 'hide' in plain sight, a mask to hide the real me if you will as the last thing I wanted to do was to be outside and amongst people and people discovering what an absolute failure of a person I was.

To me, it was a more acceptable alternative to the outside world than putting a bag over my head so that people couldn't see me, with make up and nicely done hair I blended in and became invisible, without it, I stuck out like a sore thumb.

Weird logic I know but that's me all over.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Paragraph 2 is where all the alarm bells ring. The neighbour bragging about deceiving the assessor but nobody seems to think that's worthy of investigation. No wonder the benefits system is in crisis.

As I said, you need medical evidence to get PIP. It's not just how you come across at the face to face. In general, it is harder to get than DLA. And it's certainly not easy to get a home assessment

The neighbour could be doing exactly what you are saying. Bragging. Bigging themselves up in front of others.I have heard quite a few stories about how medicals went and what happened and some have been exaggerations. I've also had a lot of (how shall we say it) interesting second hand tales about folks fiddling the benefits system. 'My neighbour knows someone who is getting PIP while still able to carry on their job as a trapeze artist" etc etc

It's up to the OP whether or not to report. I'd be wary, myself, if it's only 'down the pub" talk. I'd also be interested in how the OP knows what was on the claim form
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    You do have to 'say it a certain way to get points'. That doesn't mean making things up, it means phrasing it in the right way. It means focusing answers on the descriptors instead of vague rambling about what you find hard.

It's about using DWP speak. Not about lying.

I'm not saying all this means that they're not committing fraud, or that you shouldn't report them. But as I said in my first post on this thread, it could just be that you don't know the rules for claiming PIP.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Hounded_out
    Hounded_out Posts: 79 Forumite
    I hope a neighbour reports Clownfish to every conceivable agency he (or she) could potentially be defrauding or misleading, such as say the HMRC. See how he (or she) likes it. I sense the OP may be a joker, but then many folk on here can from time to time be accused of being jokers
  • trigger_fish
    trigger_fish Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    How do you know the work is being done cash in hand?

Because I've got the cash in my hand.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport