Raising Funds

Shayrana
Shayrana Posts: 13 Forumite
edited 9 May 2018 at 11:27AM in Deaths, funerals & probate
Hi not sure what thread to post this in, just looking for a bit of advice about raising money.

My brother passed away on 18th February this year at 27. I am trying to raise money to help cover funeral costs and wondered if anyone had any tips or could share on their social media please?

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

Thank you

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    So sorry for your loss - 27 is no age.

Did your brother have any money that could be used to pay for the funeral? If he was working, is there a lump sum death grant payable from his employer/pension fund?

If the answer to both questions is no, then your local Council may pay for a simple funeral or cremation. This tends to put people off, as they still see this as a 'pauper's funeral' - but things have changed, and there's now very little difference between Council funerals and simple private funerals.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    His bank will release any money in his account to pay for the funeral.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,505 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is the person organising the funeral on benefits as they can get help from dwp to help pay for it
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Very sorry to hear of your loss - and at such a young age. Not sure if you are raising money to pay for a funeral which has already taken place, but if it has yet to be arranged this may make helpful reading: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/help-paying-for-a-funeral

The alternative is to set up a crowdfunding page and hope his friends will help.
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    There is help available if the person organizing the funeral is on benefits
    https://www.gov.uk/funeral-payments/eligibility

sorry for your loss
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Shayrana wrote: »
    Hi not sure what thread to post this in, just looking for a bit of advice about raising money.

My brother passed away on 18th February this year at 27. I am trying to raise money to help cover funeral costs and wondered if anyone had any tips or could share on their social media please?

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

Thank you
    Forget raising money. If there is no money in the estate the local council, or hospital where he died legally have to pay. End of story. Whoever organises the funeral will be liable to pay.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Forget raising money. If there is no money in the estate the local council, or hospital where he died legally have to pay. End of story. Whoever organises the funeral will be liable to pay.

Perhaps the OP could confirm: From the dates one would assume that the funeral has already taken place.

In that case if the estate is bankrupt I dont think you can pass the costs of a privately organised funeral onto the hospital or council especially if these exceeded the costs of a "Public Health Funeral". As you say, whoever organised the funeral is liable for the cost. Though as Tamkitty says if the organiser is on benefits then help could be available after the event.

See:https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/help-paying-for-a-funeral#what-happens-if-you-cant-afford-a-funeral
  • Shayrana
    Hi thanks for your responses, the funeral took place on the 4th April, we managed to get funds together for a deposit and I used my wages for what I could and saved money by making my own personalised order of services and other bits, it is the outstanding amount that is due. I am not on benefits, still trying to catch up on bills as I have been off work. I have only just been back at work 2 works and it is still difficult.

My brother had no property etc we both lived at home with our parents as couldnt afford to move out yet. He had no savings or insurance etc. The illness was out of the blue.

X
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Try a Justgiving or crowdfunding page - I'm sure many of his friends and relatives would be happy to chip in a bit, and lots of little bits would soon mount up.
  • Shayrana
    Brynsam wrote: »
    Try a Justgiving or crowdfunding page - I'm sure many of his friends and relatives would be happy to chip in a bit, and lots of little bits would soon mount up.

I have already set up a JustGiving/Crowdfunding page, i did try to link but was removed.

Thanks again for your replies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport