Can you get fit without a gym

Options

Comments

• Maxson
    Maxson Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can recommend a book called 'You are your own gym'. Also try the 200 squats program.
  • hatter68
    Options
    I have the DVD you are your own gym Mark Lauren highly recommend.
  • jack07
    Options
    yes you can.
    you can watch work out channels or just go on youtube. You can aslo do some parkrun
  • Stephenmac
    Options
    Hi. I got a cross trainer machine from Freeclycle and using it I lost 2 stones in weight and toned my body. The machine broke eventually. They are bulky in the room but I did not need a gym to get fit.
  • jonybrown
    Options
    Your fitness gains are determined by what you do, not where you do it. Start using resistance bands and going for the occasional run. Also, Check cardio sessions on youtube (Joe Wicks) and start with 20-30 minutes and then try to increase your time.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    On from my earlier post..... I still don't go the gym as I don't enjoy it. I do play football two or three times a week though, the occasional run and resistance bands and since losing weight and pushing myself harder in matches I've become noticeably fitter :)
  • southernsun
    Options
    Been working out from home for 3 years now. My current routine is Suspension Training on Monday (got the Decathalon version of TRX for £15 and its great, just attach it to a door for full body workout), Resistance bands on a Wednesday (lucky to have won a set but they are available for under £20 and again great full body workout), Indoor football at sports centre on a Friday and then dumbell/barbell routine on Saturday. Each workout is 45-90 minutes and the variation stops me getting bored.

Gradually built up a decent set of equipment over the years and am fitter now (mid 30's) than I have ever been and more committed to exercising as working out at home is so much more convenient.
  • engineer_amy
    Options
    I usually do classes at my gym, but they have taught me exercises that I can do at home with no equipment - things like tricep dips using the stairs or a dining chair, lots of abdominal works, squats etc.. just need a clear space in the middle of your living room and youtube on the ipad beside you. My local Tesco and lidl often do promotions with fitness equipment - I bought some resistance bands, a yoga mat and a couple of kettlebells for just a few quid.

One of the best things I could have done was invest in a Fitbit. I bought the cheapest one at £45 as it was waterproof and I do a lot of swimming. but between it auto-tracking your activities and tracking your own calories, water, movement etc on the phone app - it has been the best way of keeping me motivated to walk and exercise, having it all recorded seems to keep me accountable if that makes sense.
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • joyknights
    Options
    Yes, you can, all you have to do is to stay motivated, have a healthy diet and do cardio workout from home. It is better if you go some exercise with your loved ones as they provide a lot of moral support.
  • julianaray
    Options
    Yes! gym is not only the place where you can be fit. If you are dedicated then you can fix a schedule in your home or in any public park area. Proper routine of exercise, eating habits and proper sleep can make you much better then gym.
    The harder you work for something, the greater you'll feel when you achieve it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure