Our attempt at being MF!!

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,113
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    newgirly wrote: »
    Sorry if I've missed it ,but what sort of extension where you thinking of getting cath? We couldn't add to the mortgage to get the loft room so took out a loan which we then transfered chunks to 0% CCS afterwards. It was defiantly worth it though to reduce bedroom sharing arguments.:D.

Will it stop you shopping for a new home on right move, because it more or less cured me of that ;)

Hi Newgirly. We would build over the garage (converted to a playroom) to create a master bedroom and ensuite. Our main bathroom is very small so wondering whether to have that as a luxury shower room and as our ensuite will be big have a luxury bath and shower cubicle in there too.
    The flat roof on the garage was replaced a couple of years ago but needs a pitched roof really so why not go one step further!
    Dd would move into our room and we would keep her box room as a spare room as we paid for fitted furniture in there.

I think we need plans drawn up so can get a few quotes in. To buy a 4 bed in an area we want we would need to spend around an extra 60k amd would probably end up with a smaller house, it would just be newer.

As well as bigger bedroom, our other motivation to move stemmed from wanting to be near decent secondary schools. However, although our local comp is dreadful, we are near a main bus route where all the decent schools do pick ups from!

FD have some pretty good loan rates and we could afford 20k over 7 years quite comfortably. Just wish we didn't have the existing cards.
    Mar 2024 - part 1 - £31,656 part 2 - £25,019 Total - £56,675 44 months to go!
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,893
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Morning cath, is it likely you will get a place for your dd at your preferred school a bit further away? If so then its seems like a good idea to extend if you can afford it. We went for a full bathroom in our ensuite , the builders and never even added a bath in a loft before , but its such a luxury - like living in a hotel suite (except you have to clean it yourself :D).
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • CathT
    Forumite
    edited 7 May 2015 at 8:02PM
    Hi Newgirly, by staying here we can potentially access 4 very good school so actually have more options here. Moving would just almost guarantee entry based on catchment are. The particular school I have in mind is rated as outstanding but houses similar to ours cost at least 100k extra in that area. Think we should stay and send her on the bus!

Washing already on the line as am working all day. Used up some leftover pepperoni (we had bought to make pizzas), roasted peppers and an out of date pasta mix to prep lunches. Am on training tomoro and wanted to avoid sandwiches as trying not to eat too much bread so am hoping a cold pasta dish will suffice (and it being OOD won't kill me!)

My £20 is lasting well, 60p spent on a chocolate bar for dd after tennis yesterday. Keeping it a very low spend week.
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Well done on your fiscal restraint? Have you voted yet? DH was there on the dot of seven...wanted to be first.
  • CathT
    Forumite
    edited 7 May 2015 at 8:03PM
    Thanks Al, I came home then walked down with dd. she was very interested in the process. I don't remember having that kind of awareness of this when I was 6. Sign of the times maybe?

We bought some eggs from the local garage too as the owner has chickens and the eggs are delicious. Only £1 for 6 as well! Sometimes wish we lived in the country so the children experience a different childhood.

Lunch was delicious! Can't beat out of date concoctions! DH did a good food shop for £42, might just need more wine and yogurts at some point. :D

Workout done so about to settle down and catch up on one of our favourite programmes. The weekend is so close, think I am winding down already :D

Still feeling very positive about our house plans as well. Time to up the tempo even more on current repayments.
    Current advantages financially? I am early with my career so salary will
    Increase year on year, we aren't too old, we have at least 70k equity, nursery fees almost at an end.
  • CathT
    Forumite
    edited 9 May 2015 at 8:15AM
    So glad the weekend is here :j

Enjoyed a lie-in until 7:30am, thank you DH. Am currently not in the mood to go for a run (maybe later?) so will get on with my mammoth jobs list!

Just took out a new broadband deal which will save us a little bit and gives us some sports channels, cashback and a pre-paid card which sounded too good to miss. Just rang current provided and couldn't remember my password so they blocked my account. Will need to pop into town this morning and cancel it in store. Will make the most of trip by getting a bra measurement done (am totally wearing the wrong size!) and maybe popping into M&S for some yummy food.

Found £8 lurking in current account I don't think we will need so paid that off cc (bit closer to extension now :D)

Best get the housework started, have piles of washing as it's poured down here recently and i refuse to use the TD. Also the playroom needs a good tidy and clean; it actually needs a complete makeover but that is the best I can do for now.

Have a relaxing weekend everyone :beer:
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,893
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If schools are not an issue then it seems best to stay put and do the work then, how much will you lose in the cost of moving too?
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • CathT
    Forumite
    I guess moving costs would be about £5k but that doesn't allow for any extra costs the move would entail (I.e carpeting, landscaping or fencing as not all new builds are completed to that standard). Also stamp duty would be at least a band higher.

Basically, I think we would need to increase the mortgage by 70k if we moved.

Managed to get into town and sort out broadband but am waiting for my MAC code now to change the date of switchover. If I don't get this sorted we could be without internet for 2 weeks. Imagine not being able to check the banking, forum and do Tilly tidies for that period of time?

Also got measured and spent £30 on myself for which i feel ever so guilty! Went for a swim and met my mum there so she treated me to a coffee. Also gave her the till spit from m8s shop which was £5 off £40 and she gave me £5! Not my intention but she suggested I buy a bottle of wine? I did however save her money though by noticing a coffee promotion was on. We make a fab team :D

Took dd to play tennis, her serve is fantastic and it's so lovely to see her coming on so well.

Plan for this evening, wine, film and try not to eat rubbish!
  • CathT
    Forumite
    DH did the washing and tidying while I was out with dd. our 3 year old is easier to look after than the 6 year old which completely surprises me!
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    That's a good DH.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business