Motorbike, Moped and Scooter Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• Bob63
    Bob63 Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    Options
    If you live in a low risk area like I do then you may be surprised that it will cost between nothing and very little if you tell the insurance company that you have no security on the bike and you leave it parked on the drive over night.

Why would you do that?

If you tell the insurance company the bike is parked in the garage and it is stolen off the drive, or for some companies within 0.25 miles of home, then they will penalise you. Penalties range from doubled excess to a complete refusal to pay out for the claim. If you have told them it is parked on the drive, not locked and not alarmed then they don't have any come back - regardless of where the bike is stolen from e.g. driveway, roadside, garage etc.

I'm not saying that you should leave your bike unlocked on the drive - you should use whatever security you think is appropriate - just that the relatively low cost of the increased cover may be worth the price if your bike does get nicked. For me that difference was less than £10/year on a £130 premium for 2 bikes fully comp with business use.

Mike
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good point Mike.

For this reason I haven't told my bike insurer that I have a disc lock (otherwise I'd have to use it on EVERY occassion including my private work car park complete with Rottweiler).

Also I don't tell my household insurer that I have an alarm becasue otherwise I'd have to put in on everytime I got outside to wheel the bin down the road. (I do lock the door but I don't always put the alarm on if I'm gone for 1 minute).
  • gbrandwood
    Options
    On the screenscraper sites (and all the others too I guess), they ask you to list the claims you've made in say the last 5 years. This is my first bike, so I've not had any claims. However, I've had 3 claims on my car insurance over the last 5 years (none of which are my fault I might add).

My question is simply, do I need to list the claims I've made off my car insurance when applying for my bike insurance?

Thanks for your thoughts.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    gbrandwood wrote: »
    On the screenscraper sites (and all the others too I guess), they ask you to list the claims you've made in say the last 5 years. This is my first bike, so I've not had any claims. However, I've had 3 claims on my car insurance over the last 5 years (none of which are my fault I might add).

My question is simply, do I need to list the claims I've made off my car insurance when applying for my bike insurance?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Unfortunately you do. It seems unfair that one cannot get credit for X years NCD on a car but you do get penalised for a poor history.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • fat_freddy
    Options
    norwich union qouted me £185 to insure my old honda(garden ornement)with £175 exccess, whats that all about, cheapest so far is £70 with hastings
  • fat_freddy
    Options
    some companys do take into consideration car NCD, just need to find them
  • n0tl0b
    Options
    Bennetts sent me a renewal quote of £164 for my fully comp insurance (8 year NCB) on my V-Strom that I use for commuting. I used www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk to get a quote, best of which was £112. Rang Bennetts, told them the best qoute I had and within 5 minutes they undercut it by £1 saving me £53!

A good chain lock and ground anchor are best wherever your bike's stored. RIDE magazine's the best source for what's best value/toughest to break in to. Never been let down by their recommendations.
  • Bob63
    Bob63 Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    Options
    n0tl0b wrote: »
    A good chain lock and ground anchor are best wherever your bike's stored. RIDE magazine's the best source for what's best value/toughest to break in to. Never been let down by their recommendations.
    Watch this and tell me if you feel the same afterwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC3hFr8p2ck
  • peppysheppy
    Options
    I have seen so much on Google and bikeinsurer has a guarantee that they cant be beaten. I have an R1 Yamaha and the best price I have and went ahead with was with a site called www.simplyinsurance.uk.com/ very helpful not sure how big they are but im happy. Hope this helped I am also going through my credit cards to get my rebate. Thanks to this forum
  • peppysheppy
    Options
    well thats my bike chain out then :( I didnt know it was so easy. Thanks for the info
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure