Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • campbell19925
    • By campbell19925 24th May 19, 6:46 PM
    • 173Posts
    • 206Thanks
    campbell19925
    Viewing first house tomorrow
    • 24th May 19, 6:46 PM
    Viewing first house tomorrow 24th May 19 at 6:46 PM
    Hi everyone,

I am going to view 2 houses tomorrow and I am seriously interested in one of them. I have never bought a property before and I will be buying alone (although living with partner & baby) I will be viewing alone and I will be viewing with the vendor.

I am a complete newbie and I am wondering if anyone can provide me with some questions to ask that are really important?

Few I've come across so far are; Does it have double glazing? What are the neighbours like? Something about the boiler?

If anyone can give me any tips that would be great.

Also, the estate agents I have organised it through have set me up with a mortgage adviser straight after the viewing, I don't know if this is normal?

If anyone wants to see pictures of the house I'm viewing and that would help I can send a link to rightmove, cheers.

Thank you in advance everyone.
Page 1
    • BrownTrout
    • By BrownTrout 24th May 19, 6:51 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    BrownTrout
    • 24th May 19, 6:51 PM
    • 24th May 19, 6:51 PM
    1. Cancel mortgage advisor after viewing. You are not doing any favours seeing him
    2. Depending on house look behind stuff which looks like it has been placed there.....
    • cooltt
    • By cooltt 24th May 19, 6:59 PM
    • 649 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    cooltt
    • 24th May 19, 6:59 PM
    • 24th May 19, 6:59 PM
    Yeah as BrownTrout says forget the mortgage advisor from EA they just want commission and will not be in the slightest bit interested in what YOU want or need. The estate agent works for the seller NEVER forget that no matter how nice they seem.

House tip:
    Decide what is really important to you and go from there e.g.
    I want a shower with decent water pressure so i would try the shower, is it electric or plumbed in?
    I want plenty of outlets in the rooms so i would look for them
    I want central heating and / or a wood burner
    I don't want to be fixing roofs or walls as soon as i move in so i'll be looking closely at the inside and outside, door window frames etc
    State of garden?
    State of windows, doors, fittings

Just really take your time and browse with a mental list of must have and maybe live with etc.

Be polite ask questions.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 24th May 19, 7:06 PM
    • 3,350 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    melanzana
    • 24th May 19, 7:06 PM
    • 24th May 19, 7:06 PM
    Is the area convenient for your needs?
    Is there enough outside space for you
    Is the street relatively well kept
    Are neighbours gardens OK (no sofas in the front garden or cars on bricks, ha ha, and a reasonably maintained back garden, you can tell straightaway).
    Is parking an issue (BIG RED FLAG)
    Do you need to be close to a good school
    What will your commute be like

If the house is relatively well maintained, a survey will throw up anything major. Redecoration is what everyone does in time anyway!

Scout out the road at night and weekends for anti social stuff, and noisy neighbours. Might sound extreme but this is going to be the biggest financial committment of your life so it is worth it.

Best of luck, it is so exciting to buy your first home.
    • campbell19925
    • By campbell19925 24th May 19, 7:08 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    campbell19925
    • 24th May 19, 7:08 PM
    • 24th May 19, 7:08 PM
    Thanks.

They told me free, no obligation appointment so I don't see how it could hurt?

I want a bath but will definitely try the shower, that makes sense.

Another weird one, do they have to tell me the truth? The vendor could make stuff up I probably wouldn't even know. Is there someone you can hire to help you vett a property?

Also you said, a survey, what is that?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 24th May 19, 7:11 PM
    • 4,376 Posts
    • 2,806 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 24th May 19, 7:11 PM
    • 24th May 19, 7:11 PM
    Somethings will be obvious - double glazing, boiler.

Look beyond the decoration and their furniture .

As you've probably already found out - babies take up a lot of room.

Storage - built in wardrobes
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • cooltt
    • By cooltt 24th May 19, 7:14 PM
    • 649 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    cooltt
    • 24th May 19, 7:14 PM
    • 24th May 19, 7:14 PM
    Don't be silly now you don't need to get anyone to "vet" a property because you're going to live there not them. Most things are taken care of during the survey etc which is generally where any big money concerns spring from but nothing beats being super diligent yourself based on your needs.

The "free" quote will hurt i guarantee it! Please take the advice on here do not entertain it.

p.s. Theres nothing stopping any vendor being economical with the truth.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 24th May 19, 7:16 PM
    • 10,366 Posts
    • 63,533 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 24th May 19, 7:16 PM
    • 24th May 19, 7:16 PM
    Is the house structurally how you want it in terms of the size of rooms etc as it's difficult to knock down walls etc whereas wallpaper/carpets are much easier to replace.

When I look at houses I also consider layout, I prefer those with a hallway and not having to walk through one room to get to another, ie not walk through the lounge to get to the kitchen from the front door/bedrooms.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 24th May 19, 7:23 PM
    • 10,651 Posts
    • 128,785 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 24th May 19, 7:23 PM
    • 24th May 19, 7:23 PM
    Look at the windows, doors, any cracks in the walls, what is the drive / garage like, where is the bus stop / train station, nearest schools, layout of rooms, garden, fencing, ease of access into the garden etc.
    Stand in garden and look up at roof any times missing
    Look in loft
    What shops //night clubs are in the area
    What are the neighbours like / how long have they lived there
    Any subsidence in the area
    Any thing odd in the garden ie sub station / sub pumping station
    Kitchen any sign of any leaks from washing machine / dishwasher as this may indicate the floors may need changing
    Cracking floor boards
    Gas bolier when was it last serviced
    If near a river / stream when did the area last flood
    Last edited by kazwookie; 24-05-2019 at 7:26 PM.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on! - 23 and counting
    I can do this, I will do this...
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 24th May 19, 7:25 PM
    • 6,195 Posts
    • 9,740 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    If you want off street parking check that there is a dropped kerb.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 24th May 19, 7:27 PM
    • 1,583 Posts
    • 2,541 Thanks
    Slithery
    Does it have double glazing?
    Originally posted by campbell19925
    Why ask? Surely it will be obvious from the viewing...
    • Jrose1927
    • By Jrose1927 24th May 19, 8:03 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Jrose1927
    Take a look at the windows and around the edges

See if the seals are all good and if the windows haven't blown (condensation within windows)

Always look at ceilings as much as other things, alot of people hardly look up at viewings.

Obvious ones apart from the actually house is the area research it before making a decision
    • Housebuy12345
    • By Housebuy12345 24th May 19, 9:25 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Housebuy12345
    Put a link up
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 24th May 19, 11:35 PM
    • 63,535 Posts
    • 56,327 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    View a fair number of properties. Then you'll be able to make comparisons. Viewing online or looking at printed details is never the same as being inside or at the locality itself.
    “The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.” – Warren Buffett
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 25th May 19, 12:11 AM
    • 28,501 Posts
    • 100,288 Thanks
    Davesnave
    View a fair number of properties. Then you'll be able to make comparisons. Viewing online or looking at printed details is never the same as being inside or at the locality itself.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir

Hurrah! Only a dozen posts to get to the right answer.....

Hopefully, you're not going to be buying a house tomorrow, so it doesn't matter if you meet the EAs mortgage advisor or ask the 'right' questions this time. From what you've posted, you're not ready yet. There's nothing wrong with being inexperienced, but making big decisions without preparation is irresponsible. You get to be a first time buyer once; mess it up and it'll affect being a second time buyer too.

You need to read around the subject, so get a basic book on house purchase and read our sticky here too:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4930313

You've lived in property all your life, so you've some idea of what you want. By going out to view property and speaking to independent mortgage advisors, you'll know whether what you seek is realistic and what the best/worst properties appear to be in your area and price range. I say 'appear to be,' because there are legal and structural problems that are possibilities which few people would see on a viewing. They may become apparent later, through a surveyor's report or your solicitor's enquiries.

Last time my wife and I bought, we were in the market for a very different type of property than we'd owned before. It was like starting all over again, so we needed to view dozens of properties before we could choose one. Looking back, some of those we considered were totally wrong for us, but we simply had no idea till we researched more and compared with others. That's where you are now.

Good luck

NB This is not intended as a put down to those who gave helpful advice above.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 25-05-2019 at 5:53 AM.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

142Posts Today

1,353Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin