Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 10:00 PM
    • 2,626Posts
    • 15,601Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 10:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 10:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to £2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 56
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 19th May 19, 8:10 PM
    • 9,829 Posts
    • 77,985 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It's a good idea to get black out curtains, the light always wakes me up. Also if you don't like the colour of the walls then it will be nice to change it. Our bedroom should be a relaxing sanctuary .

You're being a very busy bee this weekend .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £4,105/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £2,005/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £129.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £150. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £50
    • milann
    • By milann 24th May 19, 4:43 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 15,601 Thanks
    milann
    Well that was my last day in work for a while. It was a bit of a strange one and I was glad when it ended.

Last night I went to Dunelm near the big shopping mall near me. Iíve earmarked the curtains I want but true to form they didnít have the sizes I wanted. We have 2 windows and theyíre odd sizes, so tonight Iíll order them on line. I will have to turn them up - I bought made to measure ones many years ago and they cost an arm and a leg and I swore never again. Iíd like to paint the room white but that might not happen - the curtains are a nice blue and are meant to be blackout curtains. I covered my stool and the top of a built in blanket box in a blue spotty material a couple of years ago. Iíve seen a nice quilt cover with a grey/blue splodge and a few pink/blue butterflies on - pretty but not too feminine- dh quite liked it. I looked in the shops in shopping mall to see if they had anything better but they didnít so it looks like thatíll be the one. Iím hoping it all pulls together better than my last attempt. Iíd quite like to find some pictures with butterflies on just to finish the room off.

Off to do a few jobs for ds tomorrow and we will go out somewhere later. No other plans for the weekend, other than pottering and seeing what jobs I can get done about the place.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th May 19, 6:26 PM
    • 9,829 Posts
    • 77,985 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Your bedroom will look lovely when it's finished . It's true that you can never get the sizes you want in shops and then they wonder why everyone shops online!

You sound as if you're very pleased to have finished work.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th May 19, 7:19 PM
    • 63,847 Posts
    • 283,278 Thanks
    beanielou
    Bedroom will be fab.
    Did you see duvet cover in Dunelm too?
    It sounds lovely
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • milann
    • By milann 25th May 19, 8:21 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 15,601 Thanks
    milann
    Yes saw the quilt in Dunelm then looked in big shopping centre nearby but didnít see anything better. I went on line to try to order the curtains and bedcover - didnít have the bedspread online - by then Iíd lost the will to live with it all so I havenít ordered anything from anywhere yet.
    Went to ds house today and we did some jobs that he finds a bit tricky - I steam cleaned all his floors and put some weed killer on part of his garden he canít get to. Dh cleared his gutters for him. He treated us to tea in big nearby city as a thank you and we went to see Rocket Man - weíve seen Elton John in concert a couple of times and dh had all his records so was looking forward to the film. I donít think the film was quite as good as Bohemian Rhapsody but the acting was pretty good. It was quite sad - lots of fame and everything money could buy but so unhappy.....just shows money doesnít buy happiness.
    Iím really tired so have just settled down with a cuppa and will be heading to bed with my book pretty soon- Iíd planned on catching up on diaries but think thatíll have to wait until tomorrow. I didnít even get up to go to SW this morning I was so tired and Iíve eaten all manner of rubbish so used a holiday week
    My last week at school was a bit strange - Iíve been stepping back letting the children get used to a new lady who will be covering for me...mmmm....she used to be the a teacher - seems to know her stuff but I canít gel with her. At first I thought I was being over sensitive as I knew I was going to be off but she has got under several peoples skins as she is very full of herself - done EVERYTHING better, longer or had it worse than everyone else. The end of year in school is quite special and Iíll miss it all. So Iím glad to be off and at home but sorry I wonít see the year out to see some things Iíve put in place come into fruition. Such is life I suppose.
    Not many plans for the next couple of weeks - Iím going for my new pre op next week and plan to finish painting the fence I started doing several weeks ago, plant the plants I bought before they shrivel in their pots - Iíve been meaning to do that a couple of weeks. I want to blitz the kitchen, put bedroom revamp into operation and I want to meet friendís wife for lunch and go to visit him in the care home - I havenít been for a few weeks oh and visit my brother. If I get chance I want to go to the big food market I went to a while ago and stock up and do some batch cooking before I go in......so I suppose I have a fair bit to do....and I need to rest so Iím ready for the deed to be done to my arm.
    With the thought of rest Iím off to bed - night night
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 26th May 19, 8:31 AM
    • 5,829 Posts
    • 36,064 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Lots of things planned. You’ll be busy. I’ve tried shopping on line with dunelm but it has never worked for me.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £68,020.65 target £65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today £666.16 target £5,500 by 05/04/19
    Emergency fund £5,500/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 3lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • milann
    • By milann 26th May 19, 10:55 AM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 15,601 Thanks
    milann
    Think weíre heading to my local Dunelm shortly to see what we can get. We have about 5 Dunelm within a half hours drive so we may end up visiting several
    Itís raining here today so painting the fence is out. Iíve just taken some pork out so Iíll cook it in cider and freeze a couple of portions too.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th May 19, 11:12 AM
    • 63,847 Posts
    • 283,278 Thanks
    beanielou
    Passes list for Dunhelm!!
    Happy shopping day.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Sunshine girl2
    • By Sunshine girl2 26th May 19, 11:31 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    Sunshine girl2
    Enjoy your shopping trip. Hope you get sorted .
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 26th May 19, 2:44 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 18,644 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Your room will look great when it's finished milann.

I hope you have a successful shopping trip. I love wandering round Dunhelm - we haven't got one near me but there is a large store where DD lives - we went round last time I was up there - so many bargains!

I'm off to see Rocketman later on. I'm really looking forward to it - it'll be interesting to see how it compares with Bohemian Rhapsody as I thought that was great!

You've got quite a full on couple of weeks!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 23
    My diary: ďPaid off the £31,000! BUT- still scrimping!Ē
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 26th May 19, 2:51 PM
    • 7,253 Posts
    • 53,533 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Another one here who gets fed up of not being able to find what I want on the high street so have to resort to online although a big part of my problem is no transport. At the moment I'm trying without success to find a couple of throws to protect the sofa and can I find the colour I want anywhere - no I'm actually considering repainting the living room walls now
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 £317.17
    Emergency Fund £3260/£10,000
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 26th May 19, 4:36 PM
    • 9,829 Posts
    • 77,985 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hope you found what you wanted to buy Milann from one of the many Denhelms around you .
    • milann
    • By milann 26th May 19, 6:03 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 15,601 Thanks
    milann
    OMGoodness - should have stayed away from Dunelm. I spent (whispers in total shock) £300 In my defence m’lord I bought curtains, bedcover and a picture for my bedroom PLUS 2 lots of curtains for my living/dining room -(a big bay and a patio door) I’ve been getting curtains for downstairs since we last decorated and we got new blinds- I’ve had no curtains downstairs as I’d concentrated on paying my cc off (we’ve just closed the blinds) I couldn’t bring myself to spend on curtains - but now I’ve paid it and I saw the curtains I wanted so I went mad. (Last time I bought just downstairs curtains it was over £400 - so I supposed it was a bargain) We visited 2 shops and got everything we needed - which I didn’t expect to do. From there we visited Ikea as we’d seen bendy curtain rails for downstairs a while ago.....true to form they’d discontinued them. So it’s dh job to find some to fit - Im sure whoever built this house is having a chuckle somewhere when we try buying things as nothing is standard fitWhilst in Swedish shop we had meatballs - it’d have been rude not to. So that’s 4 meals out in a row....no wonder I’m not losing weight. Pork from slow cooker will be portioned for the freezer.

We were half way or my brothers house at IKEA so finished the day with a visit to him....he has deteriorated quite badly since I last saw him. He was showing me his new fancy electric wheels for his chair - it’s given him a new lease of life as he got to the stage where he couldn’t push himself, and can’t lift a scooter into his car - he’s finding driving tiring now too. I am incredibly proud of him although typically as all brothers do he does drive me mad at times - but he has a list of ailments and has struggled with disability all his life and he just keeps on fighting. Anyway he is insistent he’ll come and cook for me when I come back from hospital- I bet he does too.

I’m undecided whether to start my bedroom tomorrow or go to a NT garden in Wales which has a laburnum arch which is apparently looking good atm.....mmmmm.....might check the weather first.

Off to do some research for a little butterfly picture to go in an alcove to finish my bedroom.....dangerous really considering my current spending frenzy
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 27th May 19, 7:59 AM
    • 5,829 Posts
    • 36,064 Thanks
    in need of direction
    You spent money making considered purchases to improve your environment. That’s not going mad. Well done on getting everything.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £68,020.65 target £65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today £666.16 target £5,500 by 05/04/19
    Emergency fund £5,500/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 3lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • milann
    • By milann 27th May 19, 11:15 AM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 15,601 Thanks
    milann
    HA - just when I thought it was going so well......in the bay window upstairs there is a flat bit of roof/ceiling- the paint was a bit flakey under it. So Iíd decided with the new additions of pictures and curtains I could live with the grey walls as Iíd injected some colour and itís not long since it was done. So the only bit I needed to do decorating was a bit of white paint under the bay. Anyway I set to and the paint peeled off in big swathes to reveal a blooming big damp patch so now we need a builder to sort it. Why does 1 job always lead to another
    And I need to take my downstairs curtains back and change them to pencil pleated tops as we canít find rails to fit the bay and draw the curtains within.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 27th May 19, 1:01 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 18,644 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Sorry to hear of the damp problems.. It's galling to begin a household task that appears straightforward and ends up a longer and more expensive job. I hope you get it sorted soon and can finish your room. A shame too about having to change the curtains - the rest of your purchases sounded great though - just what you wanted and all less than the made to measure curtains you previously bought.

Glad to read too that you spent some nice time with your brother.
    X
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 23
    My diary: ďPaid off the £31,000! BUT- still scrimping!Ē
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th May 19, 5:24 PM
    • 63,847 Posts
    • 283,278 Thanks
    beanielou
    Boo to the damp

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 27th May 19, 6:32 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 15,601 Thanks
    milann
    feel as if Iím on first name terms with the staff at Dunelm. Mr M studied the curtain tracks - as he has done many many times over the years - decided there was no way we could have the eyelet curtains and we needed pencil pleat and specific curtain rings to go over brackets needed at the corners of the track where it goes around the bay.....so I returned my brown curtains for downstairs. They didnít have any pleated ones so I said Iíd order on line - they didnít do the brown ones.....every other colour but not the ones I wanted in pencil pleat....meanwhile.....Mr M studies on line and has decided there are some tracks thatíd do after all - SO I COULD HAVE KEPT blooming curtains after all. I feel as if Iíve totally wasted my weekend - thought Iíd be well on my way turning my upstairs curtains up by now

I got some quotes for damp patch - will cost around £250 - could have been worse. Mr M asked me to give his number so he could talk to builder - so now Iím waiting for Mr M to get back to one and get them to come and do the job. Iíd have had it done by now.....frustrated..com
    • milann
    • By milann 28th May 19, 9:15 AM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 15,601 Thanks
    milann
    Iíve got so much I want to do I just donít know where to start!....painting fence, planting pots up with flowers Iíve had weeks, blitzing the kitchen or turning upstairs curtains up. Iím in danger of doing nothing again if I donít get off here and put my behind into gear.

Right time for a plan....
    Job 1 - empty food cupboard - clean and leave to dry
    Job 2 - put some pots from cupboard in dishwasher and clean cupboards 1 at a time - continue throughout the day until all cupboards are done
    Job 3 - plant up planters
    Job 4 -sort food, put back neatly in cupboard put pots back in cupboards
    Job 5 - empty/clean freezer and make list of whatís needed
    Job 6 - do under the sink
    Job 7 - clean window and window ledge

If I stick to that itíll be a miracle

Cuppa finished and procrastinating must stop - if Iím not back later - Iím buried under stuff in my kitchen
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 28th May 19, 9:46 AM
    • 63,847 Posts
    • 283,278 Thanks
    beanielou
    That’s some list.
    Good luck!

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

252Posts Today

3,666Users online

Martin's Twitter