Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soolin
    • By soolin 24th May 19, 8:51 AM
    • 62,156Posts
    • 44,622Thanks
    soolin
    Once more unto the breach...
    • 24th May 19, 8:51 AM
    Once more unto the breach... 24th May 19 at 8:51 AM
    I am still sorting out huge amounts of clutter from various sources and have listed a whole load of items for free on Facebook Marketplace.

Despite the things being free I have been careful to take good photos, I have added a description, stated clearly my postcode and 'collection only' , where something hasn't been tested I have clearly added to the description something like 'This kettle/ lamp. scanner (whatever) has not been tested, has been in storage and is not new- this is free and has no guarantees. For items like jewellery batches I have clearly stated 'costume only, metal alloy or man made (as appropriate', I seriously could not be clearer if I tried.

I really don't know why I bother though, in less than an hour I've had 2 people ask me to post jewellery items and asking me to confirm the carat weight of the gold content. I've also had someone desperate for a piece of small furniture who after agreeing today would be fine to collect then turned round and said they actually wanted me to run it over to them tonight as they are busy all day, so can I make it after 9pm when they get home from the Bingo (this person actually lives around 15 miles away!)

I am now one of those awful people who have just added a line to my description, that makes me sound picky - I've basically said that all the info is in the description, any requests to post or deliver will be ignored.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Page 1
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 24th May 19, 11:12 AM
    • 13,667 Posts
    • 23,221 Thanks
    pulliptears
    • 24th May 19, 11:12 AM
    • 24th May 19, 11:12 AM
    I got to the point where I gave up and took everything to the charity shop. I concluded my time and sanity was worth more.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• soolin
    • By soolin 24th May 19, 11:29 AM
    • 62,156 Posts
    • 44,622 Thanks
    soolin
    • 24th May 19, 11:29 AM
    • 24th May 19, 11:29 AM
    I got to the point where I gave up and took everything to the charity shop. I concluded my time and sanity was worth more.
    Originally posted by pulliptears
    I have just come back from dropping a whole lot of smalls, mainly jewellery off at the charity shop.I had a rather annoying man, even worse than the normal ones and I'd had enough.

I had a bunch of costume listed, clearly marked alloy, man made, plastic etc. As soon as they were listed he just sent a message 'yes', he followed that up about 5 minutes later with - I need close up photos of the brooch at top RH of pic with blue beads. I didn't respond immediately and about 10 minutes later I go- I need photos PLEASE, I want a close up of the mount holding the stones, you can do this on a good smartphone using the magnifiaction tool when photographing, make sure you take from all angles.

followed by ' also the back, ultra clear and magnified though, each bit on it's own with marks highlighted - your current pic is on a grey background, please use white, a table cloth or sheet will do. Natural light is best or by a window if not.

I did respond with 'this is costume jewellery, please read description' and I got back ' sorry, but I'm 30 minutes away and frankly not going to waste my time without a bit of effort on your part - then sent me all the photo requests and instructions again with the added request that I also magnify and photograph a couple of other bits '

I removed items from sale, plus others where I am getting daft PMs and have just donated it all at a charity shop.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 24th May 19, 11:58 AM
    • 13,667 Posts
    • 23,221 Thanks
    pulliptears
    • 24th May 19, 11:58 AM
    • 24th May 19, 11:58 AM
    You can pick them from the first message can't you? I know there are the generic 'is this available' messages, but then you get the rude 'yes' or 'Address pls' and you just know what's coming.

Last one I had I was giving away a perfectly good dining table and had a guy demanding photos of the chairs. He was quite angry that I wasn't giving any away with it. That was the point I also deleted the lot, filled the car and went to the local hospice shop.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 24th May 19, 12:08 PM
    • 9,469 Posts
    • 31,750 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 24th May 19, 12:08 PM
    • 24th May 19, 12:08 PM
    My husband was thinking Facebook Marketplace might 'suit' him. I think this thread is going to convince him that it won't.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences!
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 24th May 19, 12:11 PM
    • 2,428 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • 24th May 19, 12:11 PM
    • 24th May 19, 12:11 PM
    Gotta love Facebook buyers, people who ask where you are but don't know how to put a postcode in Google maps are my favourite, it's obviously far easier for me to explain than them look at a map.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 24th May 19, 12:20 PM
    • 62,156 Posts
    • 44,622 Thanks
    soolin
    • 24th May 19, 12:20 PM
    • 24th May 19, 12:20 PM
    My husband was thinking Facebook Marketplace might 'suit' him. I think this thread is going to convince him that it won't.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences!
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    I actually do very well on marketplace - not so well on local selling groups anymore though. The weekend before last I had about 7 collections and managed to off load a lot of things for a very good price. I also regularly list and post items using paypal without any issue. The moment I try and give anything away though it all goes horribly wrong.

Gotta love Facebook buyers, people who ask where you are but don't know how to put a postcode in Google maps are my favourite, it's obviously far easier for me to explain than them look at a map.
    Originally posted by the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    I'm completely fed up of people who don't read the description at all, and ask things like 'how tall is this' or 'what size' when it's clearly already there. I now just have a slightly curt response saying 'as per the description - and then just cut and paste what I wrote originally. I even wondered if some people don't even know the description is there- although it looks obvious to me as there is a clickable link that says 'more' under the photo.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 24th May 19, 12:27 PM
    • 2,428 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • 24th May 19, 12:27 PM
    • 24th May 19, 12:27 PM
    I'm completely fed up of people who don't read the description at all, and ask things like 'how tall is this' or 'what size' when it's clearly already there. I now just have a slightly curt response saying 'as per the description - and then just cut and paste what I wrote originally. I even wondered if some people don't even know the description is there- although it looks obvious to me as there is a clickable link that says 'more' under the photo.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Had people ask how much is it, you have to enter the price when you list and it's right there at the top. Even on a phone you can't miss it.

Don't bother putting much on Facebook as the questions just take so much time.

Started putting in the description, will be marked as sold when gone, is at xxx, please message with day and rough time you want to collect.

It should take 30 seconds to sell something, one person was sending messages for over an hour at 11 o'clock at night. My wife was answering and kept asking me what to say, I said tell her that your husband is annoyed because he's trying to sleep!
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 24th May 19, 7:03 PM
    • 5,848 Posts
    • 7,245 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 24th May 19, 7:03 PM
    • 24th May 19, 7:03 PM
    I have only had one minor hassle giving stuff away, but I have no compunctions about not replying to people except for whichever response I like, or not until it has gone.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 25th May 19, 8:45 AM
    • 17,296 Posts
    • 13,478 Thanks
    hollydays
    I find a lot of people list things under the free category when they aren’t, so it’s worthwhile stating it again in the listing
    • janb5
    • By janb5 25th May 19, 11:37 AM
    • 1,939 Posts
    • 7,006 Thanks
    janb5
    I think my antennae are now finely tuned so when people start being imperious, forget a simple please or thank you or are downright rude, I immediately stop contact.....

I know with Ebay too that when people request to collect at a later date but are very pleasant than I am happy to help. Not so with people who want me to relist and offer a BIN price for tuppence halfpenny.
    • Campden
    • By Campden 25th May 19, 11:49 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Campden
    Don't forget Freegle
    https://www.ilovefreegle.org//

Don't throw it away, give it away.
    • TripleH
    • By TripleH 28th May 19, 7:56 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    TripleH
    I am usually patient but some of you make me seem quite grumpy.

I had a fridge I listed on Gumtree and got the usual time wasters message about coming to collect but never showing up. I then had two people contact me to come on successive nights.

The first person came when they said and took the fridge away with them which was great. I contacted the other person as soon as the first had gone to inform them that the fridge was no longer available.

I got a string of rude messages back having a go at me for not keeping the fridge for them (bear in mind as well they had previously been a no-show on an earlier date) and even expecting I produce a fridge for them as 'I' had dare let them down.

My response was something about getting a bigger pram or fewer toys or something like that.
    Wherever you go, whatever you do Richard Marx is right there waiting for you.

Sweet dreams!
    • choose wisely
    • By choose wisely 29th May 19, 3:59 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 1,593 Thanks
    choose wisely
    We have a local free Facebook group intended to help people in need. Recently someone was so needy that they collected a free sofa, photographed it still on the van and posted it immediately on a selling group for 100.

A pity for them it was so distinctive and was recognised, they might have got away with it if it had been a plain black or brown.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 29th May 19, 4:18 PM
    • 62,156 Posts
    • 44,622 Thanks
    soolin
    I actually managed to get myself banned from one 'local help' type group . I had a small table, spent 9 days waiting for people who promised definitely to collect, or who expected me to deliver and gave up. Re listed item for one last attempt and put 'relisted due to no shows- looking for someone who can collect today'. I got an immediate response from 'XYZ' who said he was in area and could be with me in 30 minutes so I said yes.

Shortly before he was due to arrive I got a message, on the group saying that I should not give this to XYZ as he is a known dealer- all the stuff he collects is sold at a car boot and the site was meant for people in need. before I could respond XYZ arrived exactly on time, took the table, thanked me profusely and also took some books and other oddments I had piled up in the porch for disposal.

Went back on site, explained to admin that the item had gone and expected that to be the end of it. However I got a real telling off, I was apparently depriving people who needed a table from getting one - even though I had been let down several times and had no other takers. I refused to publicly apologise as requested and was removed from the group.

Good news is XYZ is coming back tomorrow for some other odds and ends - if he sells it good luck- at least someone can make something of it.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 29th May 19, 4:31 PM
    • 1,950 Posts
    • 4,837 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Don't forget Freegle
    https://www.ilovefreegle.org//

Don't throw it away, give it away.
    Originally posted by Campden
    I found freegle was worse than ebay for timewasters, I only offered 7 or 8 items so admittedly a small sample size but I had no shows for all but one of the items before I eventually got rid of them. For the last one (a computer desk) I had 3 no shows followed by a 4th time waster who turned up, looked at the desk and then decided they didn't want it due to minor cosmetic damage I'd clearly mentioned in the description of this FREE desk.

I haven't bothered since, any low value items which charities won't accept and family or friends don't want now go to the tip.
    • Campden
    • By Campden 29th May 19, 7:13 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Campden
    I am sorry you had that bad experience.

We facilitate the rehoming of a vast amount of stuff. WRAP stats value it as approaching 4M per year.

It is nice to be able to sell things, but invaluable to give them away: helping the environment, and local communities; people who need things, and others like Soolin who have things they don't need.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 29th May 19, 8:38 PM
    • 29,148 Posts
    • 11,961 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I would signup to the group under another name and say I had to give a dealer xx boxes of stuff for free because you were not allowed to offer it to the group.

Did you ask them why they had not banned the dealer?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 29th May 19, 8:51 PM
    • 62,156 Posts
    • 44,622 Thanks
    soolin
    I would signup to the group under another name and say I had to give a dealer xx boxes of stuff for free because you were not allowed to offer it to the group.

Did you ask them why they had not banned the dealer?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I suspect the dealer was banned before I was, I didn't really check as I was just pleased that he collected as arranged . He has my details now and is coming tomorrow morning for some other bits, including some old books that I wasn't sure what to do with.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 29th May 19, 9:31 PM
    • 5,848 Posts
    • 7,245 Thanks
    theoretica
    I found freegle was worse than ebay for timewasters
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus

I didn't get on well with Freegle - which I attribute mainly to the one round here having a lot of members over a fairly wide area. However, there are also a couple of other very local neighbourhood groups which are much smaller - people tend to walk round to collect in 10 minutes and things like cardboard boxes for packing find new homes.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

19Posts Today

3,670Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin