Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Veryconfused101
    • By Veryconfused101 13th Mar 19, 1:38 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Veryconfused101
    Scammers
    • 13th Mar 19, 1:38 PM
    Scammers 13th Mar 19 at 1:38 PM
    Is it me or is most people over 55 starting to have a lot of SCAM MAIL, Telephone Scammers and Internet Scams done to them these days? not wealthy by any means but not debt ridden either. Found this month alone have had three letters demanding monies from Debt Agencies for account closed over two years ago. Nothing owing on them. Water Board also insisted on sending a demanding letter of missed payment. Queried well I pay direct debit on 22nd of Month. Paid actually in advance of that by the 11th of the month. Waterboard sent letter saying I missed payment. Advisor "If we dont received payment by the 12th we generate letter." I said thats not true cause the letter you sent me states by the 22nd of the Month!!!!

Also sick to the back teeth with getting up going over to the phone and having silent phone or automated messages.

Is there someone we can go to for this?

Only if I was older I would be worried sick about non-existant debt because I would be convinced by these SCAMMERS THAT I OWED IT.

My parents in their late 80's better check their mail make sure they are not paying for somthing already settled.
Page 2
    • wild666
    • By wild666 20th Apr 19, 7:01 PM
    • 318 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    wild666
    I am just 55 and enjoy scammers trying to scam me I always get the better of them, one said my PC was infected so I asked which one as the place is full of them so they said it could be all of them and asked how many I had. 300 was the reply. he said 1500 for the lot and asked him for his card details after a lot of talk I said I now have your IP address and home address and will send the boys round to collect the money he was off the phone quicker than a failed drugs test.
    Some scammer tried to lock me out of my PC and he said 200 to free it so I emailed back I had his IP address and location and not the VPN one he was using and I was using sandboxie and the PC wasn't locked but he was going to jail when the police came round.
    I haven't done any reverse scams on scammers for years but feel like trying it again.
    Someone please tell me what money is
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 20th Apr 19, 7:40 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    nickcc
    Been getting loads of calls most days from 020 numbers, who called me confirm that these are scam calls from people asking about benefits. Everytime I block the number they call again the next day or soon after on a different number but all begin with 020.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 21st Apr 19, 6:15 PM
    • 26,169 Posts
    • 69,233 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I've told scammers who want my details that they need to ring my head office, North Wales police in Colwyn Bay as my tech bods deal with issues.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 23rd May 19, 5:32 PM
    • 4,769 Posts
    • 39,541 Thanks
    Katiehound
    The scammers are trying something new now-had this yesterday- using a recorded message that says something like 'we have been trying to contact you, there is a problem with your internet coneection, we will have to shut it down within the next 24 hours. For help please dial 1 etc'
    So now they are not trying to represent BT, Talktalk etc- just a catch all!

I usually ask 'who is trying to waste my time?' Got an abusive answer- stop wasting my time, b***ch!- the cheek of it!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..6470cc+3045mm (3.04.5) + RK 8.03
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 26th May 19, 11:28 AM
    • 12,613 Posts
    • 5,681 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Thats at least 3 months old .
    All you can do is to block and report numbers.

Does pressing 1 result in charges.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 26th May 19, 12:56 PM
    • 4,305 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    The scammers are trying something new now-had this yesterday- using a recorded message that says something like 'we have been trying to contact you, there is a problem with your internet coneection, we will have to shut it down within the next 24 hours. For help please dial 1 etc'
    So now they are not trying to represent BT, Talktalk etc- just a catch all!
    Thats at least 3 months old .
    All you can do is to block and report numbers.

Does pressing 1 result in charges.
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    We've had a flurry of these wretched calls. Our guess is that pressing 1 (for help) will result in a 'very helpful engineer' sweet talking you into allowing him remote access to your computer so he can fix your problem/rob you blind.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 30th May 19, 8:50 AM
    • 2,434 Posts
    • 3,534 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Had a call yesterday from an out of area number: a pause and then a recording starts. I just put the phone down at that point although I did hear the words "technical department" but not idea who they were claiming to be.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

839Posts Today

6,791Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin