MOT Incorrect mileage

Options
Had a senior moment when I couldn't remember when the MOT was due on my car so logged onto GOV.UK website to check.

The latest info showed that my car had been MOT'd in July at a garage 50 miles away and mileage shown as 143,000 - not true. I then went and dug out my paper copy issued by my garage which showed the correct info to be April and 44,000 miles.

After several emails and phone calls to DVSA (who agree that the info is incorrect) the website is still showing 143,000.

What happens in April when my garage tries to input a true mileage which will be approx 55,000?

Any advice as to my next step in getting this altered?

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I had this happen once and noticed shortly after the MOT, I contacted the testing centre and they got it altered, showing correcly online now.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    When you get the next MOT done the correct mileage will be entered & the incorrect figure will show as an obvious clerical error. No harm done.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    IIRC there's a small window of time - 7 days? - after the issue of an MOT when the garage can correct the mileage. After that, it's on the record permanently.

Moral of the story - look at the certificate when you get it, not months later.

When it's next tested, the tester will be prompted to confirm that the unexpected mileage change is correct. He says yes, that's it. The same happens if there's an unexpectedly high increase - as last year. So the tester then would have been prompted, but confirmed 143k was correct...

Even if the mileage displayed had actually reduced, it is not illegal to change the mileage on a car. Perhaps the speedo was changed because the old one died. When "clocking" is illegal, it's simply because it's illegal to mislead a potential buyer into paying more than they would if the correct mileage was known.
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Had a senior moment when I couldn't remember when the MOT was due on my car so logged onto GOV.UK website to check.

The latest info showed that my car had been MOT'd in July at a garage 50 miles away and mileage shown as 143,000 - not true. I then went and dug out my paper copy issued by my garage which showed the correct info to be April and 44,000 miles.

After several emails and phone calls to DVSA (who agree that the info is incorrect) the website is still showing 143,000.

What happens in April when my garage tries to input a true mileage which will be approx 55,000?

Any advice as to my next step in getting this altered?

its permanent, but when it comes down to 55K in april it will be clear that its a typo and you didn't do 100k during the year before.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure