Royal Mail Prices Changes 2017

Royal Mail Prices Changes 2017 are starting to be announced. You can find the details for business and franking customers here:

http://www.royalmail.com/prices2017

A franked second class letter is going up by just a penny. A second class parcel is going from £2.57 to £2.62. Airmail is rising more sharply due to "an increase in overseas delivery costs."

I expect the price of stamps will follow shortly.
Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Airmail is rising more sharply due to "an increase in overseas delivery costs."
    Presumably an element of international postage is priced in Euros or US Dollars, so this would increase prices even without a planned price rise.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    5p on a business parcel isn't too bad, it still keeps it cheaper than MyHErmes.

I'll keep an eye on the overseas costs as I do occasionally seem to hit weeks where all my stuff goes abroad.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • First and second-class stamps for standard letters will each rise by 1p next month...
    Read the full story:
    'Price of stamps to rise next month - buy now to beat the hike'
    OfficialStamp.gif
    Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    The cost of a first-class stamp for large letters (weighing up to 750g and meeting other size rules) will rise by 2p to 98p, while a second-class large letter stamp will increase by 1p to 76p.

I think the above needs correcting. 98p will only be up to 100g
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Really gets my goat when people moan saying our stamps are expensive. A lot of the European countries, it costs them a Euro to post and some don't have a 2nd class post or similar.

Other countries stamps may be cheaper than ours, but based on GDP/capita, they are more expensive for them.
  • Really gets my goat when people moan saying our stamps are expensive. A lot of the European countries, it costs them a Euro to post and some don't have a 2nd class post or similar.
    Probably because 1 euro sounds a lot cheaper than 65 pence.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As far as ordinary letters are concerned, for many people, these prices will be meaningless because seemingly so few people now are actually sending ordinary letters anyway. Christmas time, yes, granted, getting expensive for those that still see the nicety of sending a card, something I personally stopped doing years ago because I'm a genuine moneysaving tight wad!

Personally, I know I didn't send a single letter or card by Royal Mail the whole of last year, every single piece of correspondence was done by email, including job applications. Agreed, I'm still paying for my mail correspondence via broadband charges, but as we know, email is virtually instantaneous and as long as cyber security is observed, somewhat more safer and secure.
  • It's incredible value for one-off senders. When you think of all the logistics involved in sending vans to letter boxes, reading scruffily written addresses, sorting, transportation, and getting postie to go up to someone's front door - quite often the next day.

(Many) people think nothing of spending two or three times that on a coffee at a coffee shop.
  • For those using NVI stamps to make up larger postage values, here's the cheapest way to do it if you bought them back in 2012.
    The simple rule: if you think you need 4 first class stamps, make the jump to 5 second class. You'll save 4p worth of stamps (at 2012 prices at least) and increase the postage value by 20p to boot.
    Screen%20Shot%202017-02-26%20at%2012.57.17_zps4pfh3fcp.png
    Screen%20Shot%202017-02-26%20at%2012.57.45_zpsqrbfziow.png
  • WLM21
    WLM21 Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I remember a few years ago, when I first started Ebay, there was going to be a major stamp price increase.

I bought about 300 '2nd class' stamps, as these were still valid even after the price increase. I would just put on as many as required to a parcel, then add the few pennies worth at the PO.

Not sure if there are still stamps marked first and second now, but buying several 54p stamps is hardly worth the while, although each will be worth 56p after the increase, almost 4% more.

First class will only be 1p more expensive, so that 64p will be worth 65p .. 1.5% more ... WOW !!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure