Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Comments

• Thanks 111KAB.

I have read Vauban's guide and have saved it.
    Flightstats - I am still trying to understand :-)

I wish I had thought to contact someone to look online to see what was happening weatherwise at LGW.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I wish I had thought to contact someone to look online to see what was happening weatherwise at LGW.
    LGW will tell you exactly what the weather was that day.
  • I have received an email back today from Easyjet as follows:-

Dear Jean,

Thank you for your email.

Now that the Supreme Court case is over. I ask that you confirm your last 4 digits in order for me to process your compensation to your card.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards
    Charlotte
    easyJet Customer Services

Does this sound like I've been successful??
    :A Here's hoping
    :A Heaven sent MSE :A
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes Angel - that does sound like success. You might want to ensure they are paying you the right amount though!
  • I'm looking for advice on whether or not I can claim a refund of the above rather than compensation as the only info I can find is for longer delays than ours.

We travelled from Inverness to Gatwick last week but due to the high winds easyjet were unable to board the flight and we were delayed by two hours which I have no problem with. We had a further easyjet flight booked from Gatwick to Barcelona, due to leave 2hrs 10 mins after our first flight was due to land, which I think is a reasonable time gap. Unfortunately as our first flight was delayed we arrived at Gatwick 25 mins after our booked flight left. We assumed they would just bump us on to the next flight as there were plenty seats left.

The issue I have is that we had to pay an additional £130 'rescue fee' in order to go on the next flight. While I understand the delay I can't understand why we had to pay again when it was not our fault and all flights were with the same airline.

I have contacted their customer services as instructed at the airport via email and am still waiting a respond beyond the confirmation email. The Gatwick staff at the a Easyjet desk, in Easyjet uniform told us they were not employed by easyjet and were not authorised to rebook us free of charge that we needed to pay and try and claim it back but were told by the supervisor it was unlikely. They said each flight was considered as a standalone contract and that they do not do connections, so basically it wasn't their responsibility. I have travel insurance through my bank account but it's a £50 excess for each of us so would only recoup £30 of the £130 paid.

Can anyone tell me where we stand?

Thanks in advance
  • Vauban
    It seems incredibly unfair - but easyJet don't consider your two contracts as one agreement: they are two separate flights (as if you had booked the second with a different carrier). Your insurance should cover for missed connections though.
  • Thanks for your reply. Yeah very unfair loophole. I'm still going to be £100 out of pocket going throughmy insurance but hey you live and learn:beer:
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Bumped to the top for noobs
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Hi there,

I wonder if anyone has experience of claiming for flights delayed over 6 years ago. Our Easyjet flight was delayed by 4.5 hours back in September 2007.

I submitted a claim to Easyjet yesterday and got a reply today saying "According to European regulation (EC) No.261/2004 compensation can be claimed up to 6 years after your flight."

I understand that 261/2004 applies from 2005, but is this restricted by a limitation of 6 years?

Martin's guide says: "You can apply for compensation for any past delays, stretching back as far as February 2005"

Has anyone had any luck/experience of older claims.

Thanks
  • Vauban
    No - you are out of time. The MSE Guide is deeply misleading.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback