No Access to my Tesco account for over 1 week

Hi Forum,

I would like to seek advice about my Tesco bank account. I have not been able to get access my account for over 1 week now, I have called the bank every day and so far what they have told me is that it's being investigated. They were not able to offer a timeframe when the issue will be resolved and they cannot even offer a timeframe when someone going to call me back with an update as their back admin team it's only contactable internally by email. I have spoken to two team managers and all telling me they got no idea what it's going on and all they can do its raising another complaint. I have ask them what's my legal right to my fund and they all said they don't know. I am hoping a fellow forum member could give me some guidance. Thank you for all your help.

Comments

• youngretired
    youngretired Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    When you say access to your account can you log in?

My parents had this problem where they could log in but when they clicked into the account it would throw them out. It also happened to all the family members when trying to log into their Tesco accounts on his computer. Though you could access all accounts on other family members computers with no problems, so it seemed to be a problem with theirs.

The only way they can now access their accounts is through Chrome, Windows doesn't work for them!
  • GYKR
    GYKR Posts: 8 Forumite
    Hi, thank you for the reply. When I say no access, I mean the account has been blocked for access. I have just got a call a minute ago from Tesco complaint team and I have been informed that my account has been blocked and they cannot tell me why, however, the complaint has been closed as TescoBank has the right to block the account indefinitely if they wish to do so apparently. I wanted to laugh but the woman on the phone said so seriously. I ask how would I be able to draw my funds? I have been told I haven't got the right to and they fully operating within their right and the terms and condition of the business. I guess I didn't read the small prints. Some advice please.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Sounds like there is a suspicion that the account has been used for money laundering and while that is being investigated the bank is not allowed to tell you that is the reason.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So this account is your only means of funds ?

Should really consider a second account in situations like this.

Has bitcoin been paid into the account ?
  • GYKR
    Thank you for your reply. They can investigate away but at least let me know the timeframe. 1 week, 1 month? I got bills to pay and credit card debt to settle. Does the law not giving us certain power how long this investigation can go on? Surely the bank cannot hold on to your money indefinitely, right? I am more happy to deal with law enforcement if they have the suspicions. Got another question, if they have the suspicion they should contact me right? And they can ask for documentations for certain or all transactions, how they can investigate without asking me anything?
  • GYKR
    edited 15 May 2018 at 11:52AM
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    So this account is your only means of funds ?

Should really consider a second account in situations like this.

Has bitcoin been paid into the account ?

Oh I do have other accounts, I only had the Tesco bank account for the 2 x £3000 current and a 1.35% instant access saver, but I transferred all my money to the saver and I only transfer out the money I need on the day the mortgage/credit card bill etc goes out of my other account so I am very much used my Tesco saving account as a current account to max on the interest. Not sure if that got anything to do with it. But since its an unlimited withdraw instant access account, I think I am operating within the Ts&Cs. Also, every month I bounce around 2K-3K to different bank accounts as I need to satisfy all the minimum paying in requirements to get my perks. BTW, I have no bitcoin transactions.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    If Tesco has closed your complaint, ask for a deadlock letter to escalate the matter to the FOS immediately.
  • I have a friend of mine experienced the same issue with Tesco, I do think these guys are scammers
  • GYKR
    pmduk wrote: »
    If Tesco has closed your complaint, ask for a deadlock letter to escalate the matter to the FOS immediately.

Thank you for the advice. I have been told letter confirming how they concluded my complaint has been issued. I am waiting for the letter and will esclate the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service at once.
  • GYKR
    I have a friend of mine experienced the same issue with Tesco, I do think these guys are scammers

I haven't had any problem with them for a year now. I had the current accounts before they introduced the minimum direct debit rule. I got no DD goes out my account and the balance has been kept at £3000 each at a constant. I used the savings account to collect £1 each month from few of my other current accounts to satisfy their minimum DD rules. Be fair, it earns £15 interest a month from the 2 current accounts and I think it cost them money to collect the £1s via DD from my other current accounts. Maybe they don't like me doing it. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure