Finding own cover when off sick

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    That being said, the cover issue seems a bit odd. But I actually like it; empowers employees to take some personal responsibility for the welfare of the children and ensure that, when sick, sufficient cover is sourced!

There's nothing empowering about having to go down a list of people begging them to do in when you're unwell. And when sick, it's up to the manager/employer to ensure sufficient cover is sourced, that's one of the reasons they're on a higher salary.
    And if the person can't get cover, then they absolutely would not have to drag themselves in regardless.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    There's nothing empowering about having to go down a list of people begging them to do in when you're unwell.
    Well, I'll explain a bit more.

OP has come on here in good health, with little intention to remain in the job (they appear to be going back to teaching in Sept) and they have questioned a sickness policy they *probably won't* use. I sort of get the impression that OP is either the AI dilemma bot, or that they are a piker of sorts; someone who takes questionable sick days effectively because the job is rubbish. Normally I wouldn't mind, and would be on their side, but not when it impacts on children.

Hence why I feel that this has the potential to empower people to take personal responsibility for the welfare of the children they are scheduled to mind.
    And when sick, it's up to the manager/employer to ensure sufficient cover is sourced, that's one of the reasons they're on a higher salary.

I agree 100% and, despite me saying the above, I would ultimately prefer OP's employer to be set up in they way you discuss
    And if the person can't get cover, then they absolutely would not have to drag themselves in regardless.

I agree with that too.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What happens if you are unable to ring in sick from something like laryngitis to having an emergency operation for a burst appendix?
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To phone all the other staff you would need their private phone numbers, that I find weird, I would not like my private phone number being given to all other employees.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    You have just started there, so can't see you being sick so soon.

How does that work? Do viruses and bacteria or anything else that causes illness know when you've just changed jobs and leave you alone?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    There's nothing empowering about having to go down a list of people begging them to do in when you're unwell.

Its not fair on the staff being called on their day off either, they're more likely to feel guilty for saying no and end up going in even if they don't want to/have other plans etc.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Teachers are expected to set cover when sick. Normally I send an email off to the team in the morning when sick explaining what I want the students to do etc.

When are you really too sick to make a couple of phonecalls and/or emails?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Teachers are expected to set cover when sick. Normally I send an email off to the team in the morning when sick explaining what I want the students to do etc.

When you're flat on your back with flu and can't stand up without falling over.
    Or you've got a stomach lurgy and it's flowing out of both ends at once.
    Or you have a migraine and can't stand any noise or light.
    Just for starters, I'm sure there are many others.

Either way, if you're off sick then by definition you're not working. Not even to do the odd email or phone call.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    To phone all the other staff you would need their private phone numbers, that I find weird, I would not like my private phone number being given to all other employees.
    Correct - it may even breach GDPR.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've only rung in sick for my husband once. He was on a life support machine at the time. Seemed to have man flu on Saturday morning, was fighting for his life by 9pm with septicaemia. His boss asked me when I rang him on Monday morning what he'd done about his diary for the day; "absolutely nothing, he's working rather too hard on trying to stay alive just now".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure