IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Debt Recovery Plus Demand for Payment! plz help!

bobbydobbs
bobbydobbs Posts: 5 Forumite
First Anniversary
edited 7 February 2018 at 12:16PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hello all,

This is a bit tricky so I have decided to post - I have looked through the Newbie threads but not sure how (or if) to tackle my parking charge appeal:
Here goes:

We moved house last year. My partner only rememebered to change her address (as registered keeper of my vehicle) with DVLA in December 2017.

We have just got a letter from Debt Recovery Plus asking for £160 for a penalty that happened in Nov 2017 - they are working on behalf of Euro Car Parks Ltd.

The reason for issue is: Vehicle parked longer than the maximum period allowed. It was Gatwick south terminal. I believe this is unfair as the driver stopped for a sandwich (bought from BP) ate it, made some phone calls, and then went on their way. I was in the vehicle the whole time and I saw absolutely no signage regarding a time limit (or any other parking related stuff).

So my question is - how do I proceed?

Someone I know called DRP annomously explained the house move and asked how to proceed with an appeal - they said it was too late and the person had lost any chance to appeal by not informing the DVLA of the address change in time.

OK any advice very gratefully recieved,

Many Thanks
B

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Edit your post to remove information about who parked and had a sandwich. Parking scammers monitor this forum.

Re-read the NEWBIES which tells you NEVER to 'phone anyone, and tells you why it is safe to ignore debt crawlers.

If you can't appeal online for whatever reason, send a late appeal by post, first class from a Post Office and obtain a free proof of posting, but please, edit your post first. Use the template from the NEWBIES exactly as it is. Do not reveal the driver's identity.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2018 at 12:15PM
    This is a scam which we hope will be shut down soon.

Never ever telephone these scammers, if this went to court you would need a paper trail

Please watch this

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and send a robust complaint to you MP
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Great thanks for this quick and clear advice.

Seems very suspect that the appeals page is malfunctioning.

I will indeed snail mail an appeal.

Lastly - as per newbie advice - is there any hope in me contacting the BP garage to complain at this point?

Thanks
    B
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    What are you going to complain about, the PCN or the sandwich?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Always complain to the land owner. Even if they will not cancel it then they have to do some work replying to you.

Anything that makes employing a ppc seem like trouble helps.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Gatwick is a known honeypot for scammers and where
    you have scammers, there are leeches who follow.

DRP is one of those leeches and you must ignore them.
    DRP HAS NO POWER TO DO ANYTHING
    DRP jusr send out rubbish letters which seems to keep
    them happy so just let them play with their toys

Whar do the signs say in the garage ????
  • thanks to all resonders for all the help!

Anyone know who I should complain to at BP? the actual store? the head office?? both?

Also - Euro Car Parks are saying its too late to appeal to them and all correspondence must go through DRP.

So what do I do now? Continue to push Euro Car Parks to drop the fine? Make an appeal direct to DRP? Or just wait until DRP take it to court??

Many Thanks

B
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    bobbydobbs wrote: »
    thanks to all resonders for all the help!

Anyone know who I should complain to at BP? the actual store? the head office?? both?

Also - Euro Car Parks are saying its too late to appeal to them and all correspondence must go through DRP.

So what do I do now? Continue to push Euro Car Parks to drop the fine? Make an appeal direct to DRP? Or just wait until DRP take it to court??

Many Thanks

B

You are not understanding, DRP has no power to take you
    to court ...... DRP ARE COMPLETELY POWERLESS
    Just expect more pure junk from DRP, they then give up
    and pass it back to Euro.

If you get a court claim from one of the wacky races
    solicitors they may use, return here.

In the meantime find out more about this BP garage
    as most are a franchise and that will point you as to whom
    you contact

Euro offer self enforcement which could mean that a member
    of staff at the garage is the culprit
    https://www.eurocarparks.com/services-we-offer/ecp-services#service-2893

You must do some detective work
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am carefully watching for any claims where "self enforcement" has been used by BPA members after 1st jan 2018 , as the COC now specifically bans anyone getting a "back hander for passing info to a BPA member

if the situation arises I am going to say that a signed statement of fact and examination in court should be asked for
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Hi All,

I've had a very similar case with Euro Car Parks from October 2017 - who have referred it to DRP - now 3 letters in. The latest offering me a discount from £160 to £136 as a Final settlement before Court.

They are saying 'I left site' - which I didn't. Plus I was also well within the 2 hours stay that's plastered on their signage in the Car Park.

Seems clear cut from what I've been reading alot on various Forums and it seems that they are just threats.....

Has anyone ever been taken to Court for similar ???

Equally - a friend of mine has received a DRP letter recently for an overstay by 10mins in different Car Park. This time they have photographic evidence so different circumstances.

Thoughts on both please ???

Thanks in advance......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family