What classes as a change of circumstances Tax Cred

Hi all

Currently on Tax Credit however our area is now a full Universal Credit area. I know you have to move over to Universal if you have a change in circumstances but does that also mean if you have a reduction in income. My hours got cut at work last summer and I’m about £4K worse of because of it, I’m worried about reporting the change as I was left some inheritance (which is making up the £4k shortfall while I search for extra hours) and I would fall foul of the savings rule.

My question is does a reduction of income class as a change of circumstances and trigger a move over to Universal Credit.

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 February 2018 at 8:43PM
    https://www.welfare-benefits-unit.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/What-triggers-a-claim-for-Universal-Credit-in-a-full-service-area.pdf

Only if your hours have reduced to below 16.
    An income change should not trigger a move over to Universal Credit.
    I'm assuming that the reduction in hours have not taken you below the minimum hours necessary to claim TC.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    The income is not an issue here but the hours might be.

How many hours were you working and what did they cut them to? We would need to know your age, if you claim any of the disability elements, if you have children, a partner (their working hours) to know if it would trigger a move to UC.

Problem is, if it does impact on your tax credits, you are going to have a hefty tax credit overpayment if this hours change happened in the Summer and you haven't told HMRC.

IQ
  • pbmatt
    pbmatt Posts: 80 Forumite
    Icequeen99 wrote: »
    The income is not an issue here but the hours might be.

How many hours were you working and what did they cut them to? We would need to know your age, if you claim any of the disability elements, if you have children, a partner (their working hours) to know if it would trigger a move to UC.

Problem is, if it does impact on your tax credits, you are going to have a hefty tax credit overpayment if this hours change happened in the Summer and you haven't told HMRC.

IQ

Thanks both that have replied.

Hours were cut from 25 to 20, I have found another part time job but it’s only 5 or 6 hours once every 3 weeks or so. So I guess I will tell them I do 21 hours a week now. I’m 42, have 2 kids and my partner works 25 hours a week (but at a school, term time only). We are fortunate not to have to claim for any disability’s.
  • Icequeen99
    pbmatt wrote: »
    Thanks both that have replied.

Hours were cut from 25 to 20, I have found another part time job but it’s only 5 or 6 hours once every 3 weeks or so. So I guess I will tell them I do 21 hours a week now. I’m 42, have 2 kids and my partner works 25 hours a week (but at a school, term time only). We are fortunate not to have to claim for any disability’s.

In that case, the hours change won't affect your tax credits. The income change might of course. It won't trigger a need to claim UC>

IQ
  • pbmatt
    In that case, the hours change won't affect your tax credits. The income change might of course. It won't trigger a need to claim UC>

IQ

Thank you for your help, do you mean the income change still wont trigger a UC claim or just the hours change wont. Sorry if that's a dumb question but the whole system confuses me.
  • Icequeen99
    pbmatt wrote: »
    Thank you for your help, do you mean the income change still wont trigger a UC claim or just the hours change wont. Sorry if that's a dumb question but the whole system confuses me.

Sorry, neither will trigger a UC claim but the change in income might affect your tax credits amount either this year or next.

IQ
  • atlantis187
    atlantis187 Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    What about if some is claiming only tax credits and carers allowance but then careers allowance stops and just claims tax credits will this trigger a move to UC
  • Hi just wondering if anyone can help me, a few years ago I applied for working tax credit as my husband was unemployed but not entitled to any benefit after his 26 weeks on Unemployment. We filled in all forms etc and were awarded £20 per month, however when time came to fill in renewal form we were informed they had made a mistake and had to pay back the money we received. Since then I have had a form every year to tell me we are not entitled to any benefit. Then last week I find a payment in my bank from WTC for a substantial amount of money, no letter or info to say why. The only change in our circumstance is my husband now claims the higher element of PIPS. I finally recieved a letter yesterday saying it is because of this that we are now entitled. But I have not let them know or filled in any forms, so am confused as to how they know and to where they get the figures from that they are basing the award on. I feel sure they will be asking for this money back again.
    Sorry for the long post.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi just wondering if anyone can help me, a few years ago I applied for working tax credit as my husband was unemployed but not entitled to any benefit after his 26 weeks on Unemployment. We filled in all forms etc and were awarded £20 per month, however when time came to fill in renewal form we were informed they had made a mistake and had to pay back the money we received. Since then I have had a form every year to tell me we are not entitled to any benefit. Then last week I find a payment in my bank from WTC for a substantial amount of money, no letter or info to say why. The only change in our circumstance is my husband now claims the higher element of PIPS. I finally recieved a letter yesterday saying it is because of this that we are now entitled. But I have not let them know or filled in any forms, so am confused as to how they know and to where they get the figures from that they are basing the award on. I feel sure they will be asking for this money back again.
    Sorry for the long post.
    It's always better to start your own post rather than adding a question on the end of another person thread.

DWP and HMRC are linked and this is most likely why they knew. If you're worried then ring HMRC tomorrow morning and ask. I'm not sure why you've left it this long without ringing if you're that worried.
  • pbmatt
    Sorry, neither will trigger a UC claim but the change in income might affect your tax credits amount either this year or next.

IQ

Thank you ever so much.

I have updated it online last night and checked it today and it says my actual payment amount has gone down by about 15%, doesn’t seem right but I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure