I want to stop drowning

Comments

• debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 December 2017 at 7:06PM
    So the good news is I’ve earnt an extra £20 more today than expected. The major negative is the dreaded letter from barclaycard ( my dh one) arrived meaning I have no clue how we will manage.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    First off don't panic , do an SOA for yourself and see how things are . There are people on here who can advise you .
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Good suggestion there from CL to do another soa with your new frugal head on.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    I’ve done a soa and we will be short at least £400 per month and that’s with me only allocating £220 for food for 5 of us. This is based on my husband not having overtime and me not earning anything. So hopefully it won’t be as bad but I’m not sure how realistic £220 on food will be? This needs to include all meals, snacks, toiletries etc
  • System
    Are you still paying a tutor for your daughter , and is your son still having swimming lessons ? Just thinking will these be coming to an end in the foreseeable future ? If they are that's at least £170 you will have extra .
  • Is there anything else you can cut back on like birthdays, entertainment etc?

What about the job for you which you mentioned a few days ago?

£220 does sound low for 5 of you to cover everything.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    Are you still paying a tutor for your daughter , and is your son still having swimming lessons ? Just thinking will these be coming to an end in the foreseeable future ? If they are that's at least £170 you will have extra .
    Is there anything else you can cut back on like birthdays, entertainment etc?

What about the job for you which you mentioned a few days ago?

£220 does sound low for 5 of you to cover everything.

Yes to the tutor and swimming but these have both been cut back. The tutoring will end soon which will def help ( we have a month off now for the tutor) , the swimming won’t go as my son has special needs and it’s good for him.
    That shortfall is already including cutbacks but it’s including £170 for entertainment, car, haircuts, clothing , sch lunches ( once a week my ds has a school dinner as a treat) and presents but these are none essentials.

I’m not sure on the job front as I contacted my friend but this is what he does he messes me about, one min he seems keen and then he goes cold.
  • debtaghh
    Morning,

I’ve been thinking about our situation and I think all we can do is just see how things go. My money is up and down , we never know if dh will get overtime. We have no council tax in Feb and March which should help. I think the first 4-5 months will be the hardest but then the tutor will stop and we would have paid over £1k due to the high minimums meaning the minimum will be slightly lower, which all helps. In the new year I might ask my parents if they will let me not pay them for a couple of months ( I’m not sure how well this will go). For us to succeed we are going to have to be ridicoulsly tight.

Have a good frugal day.
  • System
    I think that is the way to go at the minute , you are being very frugal so that helps. However don't become obsessed !
  • debtaghh
    I think that is the way to go at the minute , you are being very frugal so that helps. However don't become obsessed !

It’s funny you say that as being frugal can become addictive, I’ve always bought pampers nappies but yesterday I bought lidl’s own as they are so much cheaper! This barclaycard issue has def made me rethink things and change my ways! I’m always cold and my dh is always hot but the other day he came home before me and put the heating on... I was mortified !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback